Let's Talk About Horror Fiction and Film

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Spaceman Spiff, Oct 10, 2007.

1. pookha

pookha Admiral Admiral

seriously if you can find it get the mystery science theatre version of manos.

2. Chrisisall

Chrisisall Commodore Commodore

Taste The Blood Of Dracula.

3. Spaceman Spiff

Spaceman Spiff Intrepid Explorer Administrator

4. Servo

Servo Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I bought the original Legacy box-set, which included the Dracula, Frankenstein, and Wolf Man DVD sets, and mini-busts of each of the 3 monsters. One of my best purchases ever.

5. Spaceman Spiff

That was a great set. I already have the editions without the busts, but I've seen them pop onto eBay now and then, and I've been tempted.

These newer Legacy sets are nice-looking, but compared to the older ones in the green boxes, there's no contest. The only drawback to the green ones is the double-sided discs, which can have problems. It's wise to make back-ups, just in case.

6. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

I got the bustless versions, too. Maybe someday when I have room....

Heh. I remember that from Creature Double Feature. I'll add it to my Shopping Cart. :D

Right now, I'm reading Consider Phlebas, which is the first of Iain Banks' Culture novels. It's Hard SF, but it definitely has some Horror elements; for example, the main character just made a rather painful escape from an island of cannibals. :crazy:

7. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

I try to read Brian Lumleys Necroscope series every year. Horror and sci-fi. Vampires from another world. Some truely grisly images in this series and some great depictions of evil.

8. Spaceman Spiff

I wound up throwing Matango into the DVD player last night, and it wasn't at all what I expected. I expected a good helping of fun schlock with a side of cheese, but it was a surprisingly effective little movie. Sure, the mushroom suits are kind of wacky at the end, but it's got a steady, believable build, and most of the acting is pretty good.

Nice transfer, too. I recommend it, just not for the reasons I'd expected to recommend it. :lol:

9. RJDiogenes

As a little kid, I remember thinking of it as a 'grown up' movie because of its tone. :cool:

10. Spaceman Spiff

Yeah, it's really quite serious, especially for having such a silly name. Though I understand it went through a few throughout the years.

I was all geared up for something silly, though. Maybe I'll have to bust out the Sam Katzman collection.

I love how they play kind of loose with the word "classics" on the cover. :lol:

11. RJDiogenes

Well, you have to see the word in context; Great Expectations is a classic and The Three Stooges are a classic-- each in their own venue. :D

I should pick up that collection. I haven't seen The Werewolf in ages. I love Werewolves and it's hard to find a good or entertaining Werewolf movie.

12. pookha

pookha Admiral Admiral

it isnt a movie but boucher's compleat werewolf is about the best example of a
    sorta humorous story.

and to take a chance on sounding simple..
    which edition of the universal monster legacy series has the busts??

the werwolf and frankenstien might look nice mixed in on the angel shelf.

13. RJDiogenes

^^ I've never actually seen the editions with the busts.

I'll have to keep an eye out for Compleat Werewolf; it seems to be out of print.

14. Spaceman Spiff

Here they are.

You can find them on eBay pretty easily, usually ranging from $60 to $150 or so. You get the three DVD sets and the corresponding busts of Dracula, Frankenstein's monster and the Wolf Man.

Sometimes I've seen just the busts for sale, which is tempting, since I already have the DVDs.

15. pookha

pookha Admiral Admiral

thanks
    i would also probably go for the busts for the same reason then.

rj .. the story is in several collections .

16. RJDiogenes

Ah, good, I will look further....

17. Spaceman Spiff

You guys will like this.

House of the Wolf Man.

Here's the other part that jumped out at me:

:eek:

Click the link for some pics. Dread Central has a shot of the make-up, which looks a cross between Lon Chaney Jr.'s and the make-up from Werewolf of London.

I hope they pull it off, because it sounds really cool.

18. RJDiogenes

All right, you just made my week. :D

This is exactly the sort of thing I'm always talking about. There's no reason why movies can't be made in the style of specific eras-- painters and musicians do it, so why not filmmakers? That's why I love stuff like Frankenstein Versus The Creature From Blood Cove and Lost Skeleton Of Cadavra. This is exactly the sort of film I'd be making if I were in a position to do so. I'm psyched! :bolian:

19. Spaceman Spiff

It'd really be great if Universal were to pick it up. There are probably enough changes to the make-up, etc. to keep it from any legal action from them, but it'd be even better if Universal were to embrace it entirely.

20. T.Geiger

T.Geiger Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

As interesting as it looks, I'm hoping they'll tone the film detail down a bit in post production. No matter how much a movie or show tries to emulate the old look and feel, without that excessively soft lens it just looks like their trying to ape the old style (read: non-genuine).

When looking at the pinup shot of Elmira Cray, I can't help but think of another (excessively bloomed) pinup shot captioned "More bloom! I said more!" because I should probably be thinking the same snark of this one.

Leaves me to wonder what could be done on-the-fly with BluRay or digital movie technologies. That is, to provide a single video stream that could be viewed in HD or low res, with or without blooms, color or B&W, etc. All are relatively simple image transformations, though I suppose turning on all the filters at once might make things chug a bit.

To finish up the ramble, I wonder if they'll still be hand animating Dracula turning into a bat. :lol: