IDW Star Trek Ongoing...

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by serenitytrek1, Nov 21, 2012.

1. Enterpriserules

Enterpriserules Commodore Commodore

Edit_XYZ, my main point is that most, if not all the Trek films have holes as do many movies. It's just whether you can forgive them and still enjoy the movie. I loved ID and thought that it was a strong movie with good characters that grow. I understand others do not feel that way and that's ok. But the nuTrek has set up some things that are different from the Prime universe and I am mostly ok with them (except for the brewery and still not loving the ship design itself). I think this is a stronger film than the first because I like the character growth. IDIC is was Trek is about. So I don't expect all fans to like nuTrek or ongoing. I am content to enjoy it.

2. Pauln6

Pauln6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Promoting Chekov to commander in the first place was pretty silly - the guy was an air-head.

But yeah, I think Decker would have filed a grievance with his union rep had he lived through the V'Ger incident.

Having the crew training cadets in TWoK was fine, putting the senior crew at comms and helm instead of the cadets they were trying to train was pretty silly, at least until the crisis erupted.

Given the hard time Kirstie Alley felt she had I think it was more the actors worrying that they might be replaced that led to the silliness.

3. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Please do. I'm sure we can find some holes. :rommie:

4. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

And remember the transporter readout. For all the time he was on the ship, Kirk wasn't any kind of cadet - he was already a Lieutenant.

We can infer that Kirk was just about to graduate the Academy as a Lieutenant - just like in the Prime timeline. The only reason we didn't see this was that the hearing was interrupted with news of the attack.

5. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Vice Admiral Moderator

^ I'm not sure we can infer that... *all* the cadets seem to have been given ranks when they were assigned to the Enterprise. For some reason.

And IIRC, Kirk-Prime served on the Republic as an ensign, didn't he? Where does the "graduated as a lieutenant" come from?

6. Mr. Laser Beam

Captain Garrovick of the Farragut was Kirk's commanding officer "from the day [he] left the Academy." Kirk was a Lieutenant on the Farragut (when the cloud creature killed half the crew).

As for the Republic, it is entirely possible that Kirk took a cadet cruise on that ship and was given the rank of Ensign for that purpose.

7. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Vice Admiral Moderator

^ Or it's possible that Garrovick was captain of the Republic when Ensign Kirk was assigned there upon graduation, and then Garrovick took Kirk with him when he was assigned command of the Farragut. :shrug:

I don't recall them assigning all the cadets officer ranks for the training cruise in TWOK. (Sure, Saavik was a lieutenant junior grade, but she seemed to be the only one that I recall, and she had the rank before the training cruise started. Not exactly sure what the story is with her, but I'd guess that she had already graduated from the academy, and was back for command training or something.)

8. Mr. Laser Beam

^ One of the other young'uns on the bridge in TWOK was wearing an officer's uniform but with a red shirt underneath, indicating cadet status.

9. Therin of Andor

Correct. He and Saavik were assumed to be in "command school", an add-on course to the regular four years. I seem to recall publicity blurbs of the day.

As occurs today, some university students probably do courses concurrently, and others come back for additional courses.

10. mattman8907

mattman8907 Commodore Commodore

that would definitely be interesting considering she was supposed to been the chief medical officer on April's Enterprise in the prime reality, maybe she was on April's Enterprise in this reality as well.

11. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Caught up with parts one and two of "After Darkness". I like "Countdown to Darkness" and "After Darkness" better than the movie itself. Really enjoyed the first part. The second part felt like a bit of a detour. While the new take on Pon Farr is interesting I wish this arc was focusing more on the Klingons, Romulans, and Federation intrigue and save the Pon Farr stuff for a later story.

12. Clancy_s

Clancy_s Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I'm hoping the political stuff is going to continue in the background for a while, rather than being foreground for one arc.

13. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Issue 25 is supposed to be the beginning of the Klingon war arc.

14. Pauln6

Pauln6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I enjoyed Countdown too, although I still want a movie adaptation to slot into the chronology. The comics have potential to build on themes and develop supporting characters and I hope that they still do the occasional TOS tale reboot.

15. DarKush

It's funny that you said that because the thought did occur to me that there wasn't a movie adaptation. I can't recall if they did a comic adaptation of Trek 2009 (I think they did). If so it's odd that they didn't do one for Into Darkness. It would be cool to have an adaptation especially if it added onto some of the supporting characters and events from the film.

Though if you want more of that story the upcoming Harrison comic I've heard about could fill in some of the blanks, even if not providing the adaptation you were hoping for.

The Wormhole,

Thanks for the spoiler. Man, I was planning to drop the Trek comic after "After Darkness" and the Gorn issue, but now I think I might just stick around.

16. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

They did but not until a year or so after the movie came out.

17. Therin of Andor

They did, and spun it out to six issues!
    http://www.startrekcomics.info/idwstmovie.html

According to my friend who manages a comic shop, movie adaptation comics are no longer the guaranteed huge sellers that they once were. In the 80s and 90s, a comic adapting the script of a big budget SF or superhero movie, released within days of a movie's premiere, was almost a given. In more recent years, the publishers have found that tie-in prequels and sequels (singles or mini-series) to movies do much better, and can assist with the viral marketing program for the movie. It also lessens the chance of secrets getting spilled before the film's release, or the comic not matching up to last-minute editing of the movie by its director or the studio. Sometimes the publishers even use a movie's publicity campaign to re-release old, but otherwise unrelated, comic stories featuring the characters from the new movie.

While some fans delight in an adaptation showing differences with the mother product, others expect and demand screen-accuracy. Especially when the DVD is imminent and the fans have ready access to many repeat viewings.

IDW hadn't originally planned on adapting the 2009 movie. Sales of the "Countdown" and "Nero" mini-series were excellent, though, so demand warranted a film adaptation. Being much further down the track, the mini-series adaptation was able to incorporate all the dropped scenes (from the "bonus features" of the DVD) and even unfilmed, scripted bits, such as the proposed Shatner cameo (which he'd turned down). Had it been rushed to a simultaneous release with the movie, the adaptation may have only been a single issue, with hastily-drawn, often-inaccurate art, such as those early DC adaptations we got for ST III, IV and V.

18. DarKush

Thank you both for the info and link.

Therin, count me as one of those fans who don't mind seeing a comic book adaptation being different from the theatrical product. I like seeing many of the divergences and I also like when adaptations and novelizations add extra stuff. It makes for a fuller experience for me.

19. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

I was always under the impression that Trek XI's comic adaptation was a result of IDW wanting Abramsverse material, but with no more prequel material available to cover and Bad Robot not yet wanting to do post-movie material, a comic adaptation of the movie was done. With an ongoing comic series already in the pipe there may not really be any demand for a STID adaptation, especially a year after the fact, which is the soonest we could expect such a comic. Then again, IDW did a comic adaptation of TWOK 25 years after the fact, so who knows?

20. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

And the Wrath of Khan adaptation actually sold better than the Star Trek 2009 one!