Official Smallville Season Eight Spoiler Thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by nx1701g, Jul 6, 2008.

1. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

That is what I meant by giving Clark a message...it showed how proactive he could be if he stopped being a doubting douche bag and started using his powers in a more global manner. I am probably going to hate this Ollie doubting/questioning his being Green Arrow arc aren't I?

2. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

im thinking the same thing

3. Procutus

Procutus Admiral Admiral

I'm trying like hell to reserve judgement on this season until it's fully underway. Some of the stuff sounds good, but I'm still a bit dubious about bringing in Doomsday.

4. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

What makes Ollie depressed? "Thanks" to Clark, his war with Lex is all but over since ([Luthor feat Andrew Dice Clay]Richie Rich? ...I fucked him.[/Luthor feat Andrew Dice Clay]) he's off licking his wounds and his personal projects would do best to fade away without the Boss being completely invested. Or is it girl trouble? Lois is entangled with Clark, Aquaman and Ollie. That's worse than a devils threeway. At the end of that he's either going to get a pep talk from Chloe or Black Canary is going to ride him like a pony. Of course, we still haven't dealt with the ramifications of Lionel murdering Ollies parents, which will either work out biblically that the son shall inherit the sins of the father, or that Ollie will feel compelled to desecrate Lionel's grave and in doing so discover that the evil Billionaires coffin is quite quite empty because Jor-El brang him back, or Lex wittingly killed a clone he made to effect some master plan.

When the frell is this bugger going to have time to be depressed?

Last edited: Aug 10, 2008
  5. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

Why? It's only been seen in two Batman films...

6. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

Oh, snap.

7. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

^ Correction, three. It started in Batman Returns.

8. Jack Bauer

Jack Bauer Fleet Admiral Admiral

I saw in TV Guide this week that Tom Welling makes 150,000 per episode. I kinda think he never wants this show to end.

9. Guy Gardener

That's not a lot of money.

All his clothes have to be specially fitted.

10. Jack Bauer

Jack Bauer Fleet Admiral Admiral

150,000 dollars times 22 episodes equals 3.3 million dollars a year. That's pretty damn good money. It's more than he'll ever earn post Smallville probably.

11. Guy Gardener

Oh, for Tom it's good money. Though in my head it's not much when you compare the million dollars an episode which the second banana's from Seinfeld negotiated for the next Season which Jerry backed out of 10 years back.

Post Smallville, do we think Tom can act?

12. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

Smallville isn't the #1 show on television. Seinfeld was.

13. Dorian Thompson

Dorian Thompson Admiral Admiral

Nobody on the CW is going to make Seinfeld money. The network is broke.

In my opinion, no. He can't hold a candle to Ackles and Padalecki (who's improved by leaps and bounds over two seasons ago). Heck, he can't even compare to Rosenbaum, Mack, or Glover. There's no incentive to improve because Clark's storylines are so stagnant.

14. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

Tom should give a bit of his paycheck to the production and SFX department so we wouldn't have to have Ollies apartment double as a nightclub and money for flying scenes.

I notice also with Stargate Atlantis that money is really tight with Picardo wearing Torri/Amanda's jumpsuit and all the comments about saving money for big CGI space battles.

I suppose it has to do with the huge cast and paychecks being handed out to more than 200 people.

It seems the issue of a tight budget pops up more in Canadian productions or at least you hear about it more than american tv shows

15. Avilos

Avilos Guest

It maybe be more of an issue of series with very long runs. These series become increasingly more expensive in their later seasons. With cast member demanding increases in their pay. But also TPTB are protecting their profit margin. Smallville, as just one example, has already made a significant amount of money in syndication and DVD sales, etc. There is no real motivation to be overtly flashy in these "twilight seasons" of the shows run.

Its entering an 8th season. There is no chance they will dramatically increase their current audience numbers. Just try best to hold on to the core audience they still have. Which is why they are doing things like revisiting the Justice League and putting Lois and Clark together at the Planet.

Those economic factors are just one reason that traditionally 100 episodes was desirable for syndication purposes.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2008
  16. Guy Gardener

I just envisioned the ultimate stunt casting.

Hilary Clinton as president Hilary Clinton.

She's been delusional about her chances since well before she lost the nomination, why not act out those dellusions in a perfectly acceptable playground rather than go mad and start up a new congress in a public park.

I only say this, because I want Martha back.

17. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

lets hope she has time to film finale scenes whenever that ever rolls around >_>

I wonder if they're still aiming for "that little silver haired lady on the porch" for Martha's future

18. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

:rolleyes: Jesus Christ...the habitual Clinton-haters just don't know how to change targets, do they?

If I were you, I'd be focusing on the one who's still in the campaign.

19. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I would really like to reserve my judgement on the overall aspect of this season but from everything that has already been posted here and elsewhere I've been having major concers that this will turn out to be the worst season of Smallville yet. I know that I critize the writers a great deal and most of my critisim I think is warranted but I suppose it wouldn't be "Superman" of me to not give them the benefit of the doubt. I just cringe whenever I read the spoilers about certain things...

20. Guy Gardener

I'm not American, but I'm willing to laugh at any side with equal abandon if they want to act foolish.

I was channeling this guy and maybe a little of Chuck Willery from that episode of Scrubs where he says that he still does the Love Connection in his basement for his friends in the nighbourhood, with just a touch of Elliot Ness' public mental breakdown where he told the press that he did so catch Al Capone all by himself.

But that old lady who saw the future, unless it was disjoint by Martha taking Johnathan's appointment after Jor-El reversed time to bring Lana back from the dead, said that lex would be a really really bad President. So, between Martha's current job and Lex's escapable future, i wouldn't mind seeing some broader political aspects of the smallville universe... Since the meteor problem is not contained in smallville if the pilot was anything to go by that Kryptonite rained across the entire planet. the government must have a response to the rise of the superhuman population it's becoming more and more impossible to ignore.

Remember the Initiative in Buffy? And I just love the episodes in Stargate where the politicians and spooks show up. :) ...You would think that the IRS would be totally up that Farms ass thinking they're hiring 50 or so illegal immigrants off the books to explain all the work Clark does at superspeed with super strength... Remind me again how they were in financial difficulty again?