STID "tracking" for $85-90 million opening [U.S. box office]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by RAMA, Apr 26, 2013.

1. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Even if a film has to make double its budget to be successful, STID is already past that threshold (190*2=380 million, it's well over $400 million worldwide). Everything is pretty much gravy now.

2. Vyse

Vyse Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

The original article is just the author whining basically. STID is a hit, though not quite as big a hit as Paramount was hoping for. The budget for the next one will probably be a bit less, and they will market the film differently. However, there will definitely be a third Bad Robot Trek film.

3. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

That article lays things out pretty well. STID will end up grossing about 2.5X its budget, which makes it a hit. Domestic box office is lower than the studio anticipated, but will still end up at a decent level and the worldwide box office represents a good return.

4. Galekarens

Galekarens Commander Red Shirt

Well yeh, that's what I had heard, but even from the posts here I wonder if it's more complicated than that. It would seem that there should be another nuTrek movie, but until Paramount announces there will be one (and it's made), it's maybe not a given. PS sorry by the time I posted this, 2 more posts, well anyway, my original posting was fyi, so thanks for the feedback!

5. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Small upwards rise in the actual, but what's good is that it made about $1 million or more 2 of the 3 days.

6. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

There can be all sorts of complicating factors - deals with equity partners, revenue from merchandising, etc - but as a broad rule of thumb if a sequelizable franchise movie grosses 2.5X its production budget then a sequel is a no-brainer.

7. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Nope, that's already a given, I just didnt expect FX to get the rights so soon.

8. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

FX has been snapping up the TV rights very quickly to almost every big movie.

9. Galekarens

Galekarens Commander Red Shirt

Yes, and from all I've read here and other places, STID still has a little ways to go to reach 2.5X (maybe $462 Mil?), which it seems it will (especially after playing in Japan), so we still have to see how it finally shakes out. Well anyway, I just wanted more info so when on other internet sites, STID's grosses are criticized, I will have the right ammunition!

10. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

ok..

11. I am not Spock

I am not Spock Commodore Commodore

If only the domestic was stronger, we'd have a chance of this being the first ST movie to net 500 mil in the bag.

Do you think we'll get close? There's only really Japan for it to open in. Hopefully it will do as well there as it did in China

12. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

I think it'll end up at $470-480 million.

13. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Im going to go out on a limb and say STID will hold steady next weekend for the holiday. $2.8-3 million.

14. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

Long as that theater count doesn't continue to drop, that's possible...

15. USSPhilippi

USSPhilippi Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Weekend actuals from Box Office Mojo:

$3,166,709 weekend
    $216,777,625 total

16. Neumann

Neumann Captain Captain

So I guess it's totally out of the question that the movie will get up to 500 mill?

17. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

The 5 countries left to release only made about $12M (Or was it about $20M) for ST'09, so, yea, topping $500M is pretty unlikely. Topping $450 is pretty certain though, I believe.

18. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Monday number: $392,326 for $217,169,951 so far.

19. JamesRye

JamesRye Captain Captain

Where do people think STID will top out at with the US gross.
    $230 million?

I'm thinking the final figure is gonna be $455 to $460 million.

There's no justice when you see that Man of Steel is already at $400 million worldwide. Mind you, at least us Trekkies can console ourselves with the fact that we have the best critically rated summer movie (so far).

20. Opus

Opus Commodore Commodore

Console?

STiD is the highest grossing Trek film of all time. It has also done the best foreign draw of any Trek film as well.