Favorite Starfleet Uniform Design

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Archaeologist, Jul 10, 2010.

?

Favorite Starfleet Uniform Design

1. Early "The Original Series"

4.3%
  2. Mid-Late "The Original Series"

4.8%
  3. Star Trek: The Motion Picture

3.3%
  4. Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan "Monster Maroons"

23.0%
  5. Later Maroon Uniform (Earlier flashbacks in TNG)

0.5%
  6. Early "The Next Generation"

1.9%
  7. Mid-Late "The Next Generation"

9.1%
  8. Early "Deep Space Nine" & "Voyager"

6.7%
  9. Mid-Late "Deep Space Nine" and "First Contact"

31.1%
  10. "Enterprise"

6.7%
  11. Star Trek (2009)

6.2%
  12. Other (Specify)

2.4%
  1. Sector 7

Sector 7 Vice Admiral Admiral

I was referring to the first photo one sees when going to the page. Those people are definitely out of shape. As for the "Monster Blacks", I did not care for any of the Space Marines uniforms on that page.

2. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I did say "the Monster Blacks" section... :vulcan:

As for the banner at the top of the page: It shows a different photo every time.

3. Sector 7

My, my, my... being a little overly defensive, huh? Well, I choose not to go that route. I still hated the uniforms when I scrolled down to see them. 'Nuff said.

4. Archaeologist

Archaeologist Lieutenant Red Shirt

Interesting group... that one with the black uniform instead of maroon. Anyone here a member of it? There were some cool uniform variations there, but I prefer the real stuff as seen in the series and films.

5. bassandstuff

bassandstuff Ensign Newbie

Last edited: Jul 21, 2010
  6. I am not Spock

I am not Spock Commodore Commodore

1. FC and late DS9
    2. TWOK- TUC
    3. Early DS9/ Voyager
    4. Mid TOS
    5. Later maroon uniforms
    6. Late TNG
    7. Kelvin uniforms
    8. Nu TOS
    9. The Cage/ WNMHGB uniforms
    10. Enterprise
    11. Early TNG jumpsuits
    12. All Good Things.../The Visitor/ Endgame future uniforms
    13. The Motion Picture

7. Archaeologist

Archaeologist Lieutenant Red Shirt

Alright, this is probably how I would go about ranking the uniforms when it comes to those which I favor:

1. Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan/TOS movie uniforms/Monster Maroons
    2. Star Trek: The Next Generation mid series to late
    3. Star Trek: The Original Series, the uniforms used most of the show
    4. The later variations of the so-called "Monster Maroons"
    5. Star Trek: First Contact and later Deep Space Nine uniforms
    6. Star Trek 2009 uniforms
    7. The early Star Trek: Deep Space Nine and Voyager uniforms
    8. Early TNG uniforms
    9. The very early TOS uniforms
    10. Star Trek: Enterprise uniforms
    11. Star Trek: The Motion Picture uniforms

8. RyanKCR

RyanKCR Vice Admiral Admiral

I prefer the Admiral's uniform from TMP.

9. Sector 7

I forgot to mention that in my post. Admiral Kirk's uniform is the only one from TMP that I liked. I also liked the nod when Pike wore it in ST09, although it wasn't as cool as the one from TMP.

10. jamestyler

jamestyler Commodore Commodore

I went for the Khan era gear, though the TNG movie/late DS9 stuff always appealed to me. And still does. Oddly, my custom designs could be seen as a mix of the two.

I've always liked the TNG (s3 onwards) as it fits the feel of the show quite well, but for some reason I've recently wanted to put together a spandex s1 uniform. I really don't know why as I hated it growing up.

The new 2009 uniforms are also the perfect adaption to the classic ones and as for TMP - I hated most of them, but... liked the short sleeve variants.

11. Mr Silver

Mr Silver Commodore Newbie

In terms of "Practicality" then the DS9/GEN/VOY uniforms would be the best, since they are lightweight, unrestrictive, temperature reactive and likely to be made with a strong material

However in terms of "Functionality" the TWOK uniforms serve that purpose better, in particular the "Away Mission Jackets", each of these jackets have several modules for Weapons, Communicators, Tricorders, Survival Supplies and spacious pockets, they are heavy and bulky and perhaps restrictive, however in harsh climate, they are ideal since they are likely made with a thermal material

Last edited: Jul 22, 2010
  12. caisson2delta

caisson2delta Captain Captain

It would be a close one for me but I think TWOK is my first choice. A close second would be the uniforms from Enterprise. IMO, they are the most practical and TWOK seems more "uniformish", for lack of a better term.

13. Rett Mikhal

Rett Mikhal Captain

I voted mid to late TNG because I absolutely love the Captain's jacket, especially with the leather shoulders. Marina Sirtis may have objected on the grounds they're a super ethical society that wouldn't use animal skin but come off it, it's replicated anyway and there are more important things to worry about.

[​IMG]

You know it's awesome.

I, for one, never cared for the FC uniforms. They were all just too... similar. There was little color difference. The Voyager/DS9 ones are alright, I guess. They grow on your after a while.

14. Mr Silver

The only thing I don't get about the "Captain's Jacket" was the fact he wore a Gray regular uniform top underneath, what significance does the Gray Top serve? And does that not make the Captain's Jacket pointless if he's already wearing a top underneath?

Surely an Undershirt (like the DS9/Voy uniforms) and Captain's Jacket would be more practical?

15. A beaker full of death

A beaker full of death Vice Admiral Admiral

unfortunately, they only used that one in one episode (I think it was Darmok). After that they replaced the leather with suede.

16. Orcus

Orcus Captain Captain

He looks like he's wearing Wesley's hand-me-downs... :guffaw:

17. Mr Silver

I'm not a fan of the "Future Uniforms" that we see in the likes of "Endgame", to me they most look like "Pyjamas" and completely impractical, unless they are made out of some special "Nanoweave" that adapts based on temperature then its going to be pretty extreme in different climates, also the department colours make them look too "gimmicky"

As for the "Dress Uniforms" we see in TNG, they look ridiculous, especially on Patrick Stewart, the spandex quality is extreme

18. skylark14

skylark14 Lieutenant Red Shirt

I can see I definitely have minority opinions about this question. Favorite is early TOS, was glad the latest movie gave them a nod. I'll admit it may be as simple as early TOS was my first exposure, but here's my rationalization. I really liked the soft, warm, rumpled look of the first ones. It made it seem as though the crew was out in uncharted space on their own where the emphasis was more on comfort and getting the job done than on military spit and polish. The pants were a little laughable but that was what made them seem futuristic to me at the time - the fact that they were so different from anything I knew. Plus I liked being able to see so much of the boot. Also liked the clear advertising of the different specialties by color. Didn't like the foolish micro-miniskirts but that's a separate issue.

I really hated TWOK uniforms. They seemed buffoonish like it was some sort of Gilbert & Sullivan operetta - "I am the Ruler of the King's Naveeey". All the buckles, straps, pockets, layers, shiny stuff, ballooned ankles - made the Federation seem too interested in trappings instead of substance. It was hard to imagine anyone actually working in them.

I did like some of the later series uniforms, very attractive to see, but their very sleekness made them seem unrealistic. Surely there would still be a few crew members who could stand to lose a few pounds or who had less than perfect figures.

19. BolianAuthor

BolianAuthor Writer, Battlestar Urantia Rear Admiral

My favorite is 4th season TNG.

20. USS Excelsior

USS Excelsior Commodore Commodore

The Dress uniforms in Insurrection look like waiters costumes.