What were they thinking? AVENGERS style TREK

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Xavier_Storma, Feb 7, 2013.

1. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

Because of your personal investment in the Trek universe, I don't think you realize how little people care about it and how detrimental it could be to the commercial and critical success of a movie. People would not be excited about a story starring Picard, Ezri and some character from Enterprise: they would think it's laughable.

2. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Admiral

I don't think they rank with the best sci-fi books of the last twenty years and I don't think they're even the best David Mack books.

A Time to Kill/A Time to Heal would work much better and connect with the audience in an emotional way.

3. Ketrick

Ketrick Commander Red Shirt

Perhaps I don't, but I'm not counting on the Trek name to put butts in the seats. I'm counting on a good story, interesting characters, and memorable scenes to do that because I believe in David Mack's ability as a writer to adapt the spirit of his story to film and I believe the right director for the films can be found.

4. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

You'r pointing at apples and tying to prove something about Oranges.
    Marvel/Avengers, DC/Justice League, etc are buildng their Universes now, they aren't dragging in 50 years of previous TV shows and movies.

Marvel/Avengers Universe building is the exact opposite of wanting Trek to drag in DS9, Voyager, ENT, and TNG characters to their current Film Franchise. Following the Marvel/Avengers model (Or something close to it) with Star Trek, would b more along the lines of Spinning Pike from Trek '09 off into his own movies, and maybe spinning off a movie of Vulcan rebuilding it's Society on their new Planet and stuff like that, or having a movie to introduce some new Captain, or Admiral or other Character, and having them appear in Trek XIII, or maybe have a Movie set entirely at the Academy following new Cadets, etc.

Now, I'm not saying this is a Good idea, I really don't think it's wise to saturate the market right now with Trek movies, I'm just aying what you're suggesting for Trek is the exact opposite of what your examples are doing, and I merely made suggestions of what would follow the same kind of pattern as your examples.

I believe, if/when Into Darkness shows itself to be a success, it gives Orci/Kurtzman a good leg up to pitch a TV Series to have premiere around the same time as the third movie in the Trilogy is released, and that would be a saturated enough market. 2 Series running concerrntly and Theatrical movies going at the same time, is what eventually put the Franchise into it's coma. Now sure, there were some major writing problems that contributed, but, I'm not sure that all would have been well even with both Series and the Theatrical movies being stellar. I think for the amount of audience you need to make the profits that are desired, you aren't going to get there, and stay there, if you over-saturate the market.

5. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm sorry, but what? In what way has either movie "shaped the future of cenima franchises?"

The Transformers movies began six years ago and despite the massive amounts of money they somehow pull in are mocked and derided for various reasons. Plus the series is about to be rebooted anyway.

The Avengers may have been unprecedented, in that it is basically based on a handful of seperate standalone movies, I don't see that becoming a trend. Besides, The Avengers was okay, but it's no piece of cinematic art.

6. Ketrick

The novels don't have to be the greatest for an adaptation to be a success. In fact, there have been adaptations in recent memory that are far better than the original material. Case in point, Batman: Under the Red Hood is considered one of the greatest animated Batman movies and also IMO is one of the best Batman movies period despite its source material commonly being viewed as mediocre.

7. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

They wouldn't have to pay the novelists anything. Anything they write in the Trekverse is the property of CBS. Star Trek's George and Winona Kirk were borrowed from the novels and AFAIK Vonda McIntyre (Enterprise: The First Adventure) nor Diane Carey (Final Frontier, Best Destiny) were credited. And Carey's novels were namedropped in interviews as being their source for the characters back in 2008.

8. Ketrick

Ok, thanks for correcting my misperception. I appreciate it.

9. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

So, after reading the OP, I watched the trailer a couple of times to find the "outdated" part. No luck. Clearly I'm missing something.

Really, I was just looking for an excuse to watch the trailer again.

10. Jeyl

Jeyl Commodore Commodore

Star Trek Into Darkness taking on the style of the Avengers? Rubish.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Admiral

Because no villain has ever been surrounded by armed guards in a film, ever. :rolleyes:

12. Jeyl

Jeyl Commodore Commodore

Only the superior and manipulative englishmen.

13. F. King Daniel

It's an American thing. The laws in the UK are more complex, with the tie-in writers retaining ownership of their new characters - I've read about it resulting in all sorts of strange Doctor Who spin-offs.

14. F. King Daniel

*Rubbish

:p

15. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Aside from not understanding the use of the word "style" in this context, you appear not to have seen many movies.

16. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Loki isn't English.

17. urbandk

urbandk Commodore Commodore

What if they did it like Super Friends?

18. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

He totally is. Space England is a thing.

19. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

[​IMG]

Do yourself a favor and quit while you're not even in the ballpark of making a valid point.

20. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Is that where Movie Germans come from?