Your Christmas Wish List

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Gryffindorian, Nov 28, 2012.

1. thestrangequark

thestrangequark Admiral Admiral

I've always thought it takes an awful lot of effort to inject such unpleasantry into something as wonderful as gift-giving. :(

2. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Tonight my job is hosting their annual Toys for Tots charity event. Last year we raised $3,000 and had hundreds of toys donated. It was the second-largest event in the area. It should be a great time.

3. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

^Awesome! That sounds like fun, and a great way to spread the Christmas spirit.

4. Grey

Grey Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Everyone's getting crocheted snowflakes from me this year.

But since we're all sharing white elephant and gift exchange stories...

For the last five years the family has done the white elephant thing, and for some reason, the unspoken theme always seems to be kitchen appliances.

I left with a griddle one year, a mini-food processor another, and didn't quite get the blender everyone had their eye on about two years ago.

At last year's white elephant, I got one of those as-seen-on-TV food slicer things. It's actually been a real help to me.

I'm guessing each family ended up getting some fancy Bed Bath and Beyond kitchen thing for Christmas and wrapped it up to give away at the white elephant, hahaha.

5. Gryffindorian

Gryffindorian Vice Admiral Admiral

I work in the public sector, so maybe that's what it is. :lol:

6. thestrangequark

thestrangequark Admiral Admiral

^:lol: Maybe! I love Secret Santa, and was excited about doing it at work for the first time. I was a bit surprised when I found out the price range would be $20-$25 (at the very least it drove home the fact that I've been here only 8 months and am still on a newbie's salary, because that's a lot for me!). But on the plus side, I got someone I really like, and I'll get a $25 gift myself!

7. Jim Gamma

Jim Gamma This space left blank intentionally. Rear Admiral

I go one step further. My parents like to "manage" who gets what for me and my brother, andwe both tend to get stuff during the year. We've taken to creating lists on Amazon during the year, holding back stuff we "would get ourselves" in order to have something to ask for when the incessant "What do you want/have you done your list/can I see your list" questions come up. (They usually start asking in September, though nobody ever checks the list until November, even if they're done.) When the questions start, Mum gets a link to the list, and it gets frozen. I don't dare buy anything from that point on for myself, or I'll get told I should've put it on my list. (Unless it's urgent - like, if my monitor gives up in November, as it did last year, I'll get a new one pronto. Besides, I'd never expect people to spend anywhere near that much.)

An added problem is that out of five members of my family, four of us have birthdays in December or January.

8. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

No kidding. I think the moment someone starts to get upset about what they got (or didn't get), that's the exact moment to check yourself and realize you are totally missing the point.

9. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

It ended up being a great time. I think we ended up raising about $5,000 this year!

AND I won 3 different raffle prizes! :lol:

10. Gryffindorian

Whewww! I got lots of Christmas shopping done over the weekend. I still have one more (and final) round to go this weekend.

As a guy, I'm pretty pleased with myself. I make a list of people and gifts, I go in and out of the store, and I'm done! :lol: Booyah!

Here's what I got:

• For my friend Madge: A pillow and a $25 JC Penney gift card
    • For work friends: $25 Peet's Coffee gift card, $30 PF Chang's gift card, $30 Trader Joe's gift cards (x2), Godiva chocolate (x8), See's Candy boxes (x2)
    ETA:
    • For my youngest nephew: $50 Target gift card and a Lego Ninjago toy set
    • Nephews/Nieces: $25 Forever 21 gift card, $25 Amazon gift card, $25 Macy's gift cards (x3), $25 IHOP gift card
    • Last week, I got my dad a Ralph Lauren Polo Black cologne gift set.

11. Tora Ziyal

Tora Ziyal Vice Admiral Admiral

A close friend unexpectedly offered me a very generous Christmas gift, and I just selected exactly which Coach handbag I want. Wow!

I'd been thinking more like Downton Abbey Season 3, or this Data flash drive.

12. T'Preea

T'Preea Commander Red Shirt

In the land of Perfect Yule, I want a Dodge Challenger/Dart SXT. I want a new house, I want to be thinner; I want to be filthy, stinkin' rich; I want......

In reality, all I want is the 2013 Star Trek: TNG calendar and Lego Harry Potter years 5-7 for DS.

13. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

CHA-ching! That is awesome!

Darn it; now I want that flash drive, too.

14. Tora Ziyal

^Isn't it cute?! I actually need a flash drive, so I'll buy it for myself eventually.

15. Kira's Mom

Kira's Mom Fleet Admiral Admiral

All I put on my amazon wish list was an Avengers special 8-pack of action figures, the Next Generation Pez set, and the TARDIS teapot. I always have more fun shopping for or making gifts for people, though.

16. rhubarbodendron

rhubarbodendron Vice Admiral Admiral

Great minds, Jim! I do the same. The expensive things I rather buy mself, cheaper things get on my wishlist.
    This year it's a lot of DVDs (including one Winnie the Pooh DVD :) ), a few audiobooks and cactus seeds.
    I'd love to have a copy of Peter Wingfield or Hugh Jackman but they appear to be out of stock ;)

17. Gaseous Anomaly

Gaseous Anomaly Bonzo Admiral

Since my last dress watch died, I'd like a new Citizen Eco Drive watch. The one I have my eye on is about $600. :eek:

18. Tora Ziyal

^I got an Eco Drive watch a few years ago on sale, and I love it.

19. Gryffindorian

I want a BVLGARI. ;) But I can't afford it and wouldn't expect anyone to buy one for me. :lol:

20. T'Preea

T'Preea Commander Red Shirt

^A BVLGARI what? I have my eye on one of their perfumes, but that'll have to wait.

I've decided that I want a pair of diamond earrings. But....that'll never happen, either.