Do fans want the prime timeline back?

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by Beyerstein, Aug 14, 2013.

1. Beyerstein

Beyerstein Captain Captain

I'm just mostly wondering since they just rated Star Trek Into Darkness the worst of all the Trek movies at the Vegas con.

And, it also feel somewhat that when they did the '09 reboot, they wanted to to a big coming together of the original crew origin story, but even the writers had no real plans of what to do or where to go after that.

2. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Who are Vegas con, and why should I care what they think? And really? The worst Trek movie? Even worse than TFF?

What? Who feels that way?

And to answer your OP, this fan doesn't care if the prime timeline comes back or not. I just want to see good Star Trek in whatever form it takes.

3. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

The 100 fans polled at the Vegas con probably do. The other millions of Trekkies may feel differently - this one certainly does.
    Aren't you really saying that you didn't have any idea what they planned next? Take a look at the commentary track for the film, they talk about almost ending with a shot of the Botany Bay floating in space.

4. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

There are always going to be fans of the prime universe who want it back because they were here first and carried the torch for over 40 years, immersing themselves in various aspects of it, buying merchandise, etc. Quite a few grew up with it.

But I think the majority of people don't care what universe Trek is as long as it entertains them. In that capacity, they have no more preference to the Abramsverse than they do to the prime universe and would be totally okay if Trek was all rebooted again in several years.

5. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I forgot to point out that the Prime universe is still there, with new adventures happening every month in the novels.

6. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

The reboot was alright but I'd rather them continue with all the unexplored space they had in the Prime timeline. Maybe after the reboot they'll do an Enterprise F run, transwarping about the galaxy.

7. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    I sure don't. Move forward, I say.

8. Shaka Zulu

Shaka Zulu Commodore Commodore

To quote The Shat, these fans need to get a life. It's time for the old continuity to go, and the new one to stay. That also means new toys and merch based on the current films, not the old ones, as Admiral Buzzkill was so angry about when posting an article he'd read about the merch and toys not being made for the current one. Star Trek needs new and younger fans to stay alive.

9. anh165

anh165 Commander Red Shirt

No 'prime' time line.

Alt timeline is the key to keeping the Trek franchise exciting and appealing.

I waited 20 years for that to happen.

10. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Admiral

I have no issues with the new timeline. But it wouldn't matter to me which timeline the stories take place in as long as they're good.

11. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

Returning to the Prime Timeline, at least in a stylistic sense, would almost certainly bury the franchise for a significant period - if not permanently. Pandering to the vocal, but extremely small, "it's not real Star Trek" sector of fandom would be commercial suicide

12. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

"The prime timeline called... it wants the fans back." Or something. That's all I got for ya.
    Seems to me the primeline is well represented with DJ Nimoyspock dropping rhymes and beats all over the NuBoots. Apples and oranges in my Huxtable opinion.

13. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Honestly, I'm happy to continue visiting the real timeline in the novels. The Trek I really love can't survive on the TV landscape of today. Or the cinema.

So the flashier one can keep pumping along, making money for everyone involved. Every so often we'll get a movie I actually like. Easy. :)

14. USS Firefly

USS Firefly Commodore Commodore

I liked the new time line, the old one is dead after Nemesis ans Enterprise.
    New toys are ok but keep the novels of the old timeline going.

15. AviTrek

AviTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

+1

The limited number of fans at a Vegas convention want the prime timeline back. The millions of people required for the franchise to be viable in the future don't care about timelines and just want an entertaining show/movie.

16. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Let it die with what little dignity it had left.

The new time line is perfectly fine, and ongoing for now, after that we'll get another one.

17. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

I didn't like the last two Trek films, but I want another Kirk/Spock reboot. A good one.

And I hate the term "prime universe," because it implies everything before produced under the name "Star Trek," from TOS to the movies to the Berman-era spinoffs are one cohesive unit that neatly fits together. They aren't, and they don't. The first Star Trek reboot was the original movie series.

18. LobsterAfternoon

LobsterAfternoon Commander Red Shirt

I think the OP needs to define what having the prime timeline "back" would entail. Would it mean tossing out the JJ stuff? Having both coexist? Wrapping up the JJ stuff properly but then switching back to prime for whatever the next live action Trek project is? Etc.

Do I love the prime universe? Sure. But I also love the JJ stuff and wouldn't want to sacrifice it. I'd be cool with both running alongside each other, but I don't think that would work for mainstream audiences or for Paramount. And as others have said, there's no shortage of comics/games/books set in the Prime timeline.

19. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

To put things in perspective, thousands of people attended the Las Vegas convention. This poll questioned 100 people . . . out of at least 15,000 attendees.

Talk about statistically insignificant! I'd hesitate to draw any grand conclusions on what "the fans" want from a sampling of 100 people at one Trek convention . . . especially when the audience for the Star Trek shows and movies numbers in the millions.

And, no, the old timeline isn't coming back . . . except in the novels, of course. :)

20. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

Applies to me.

Only partially applies.

Since i've never found anything JJ Abrams has done entertaining - ever - I'd prefer to see either a reversion to the old timeline or a reboot by somebody else. Anybody else.

I fear for the Star Wars franchise...