Star Trek Into Darkness out on Blu-ray/DVD September 10th [spoilers]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Enterprise is Great, Jul 10, 2013.

1. HaplessCrewman

HaplessCrewman Commander Red Shirt

Re: Star Trek Into Darkness out on Blu-ray/DVD September 10th [spoiler

I also picked up the Target version today (the one with the ugly white cover.)

Target also had a version with the three heads on it. Does anyone know if this one did not have the bonus disc - because it did not say so on the cover. There was just sticker advertising some Target coupons.

Am going to try the iTunes download (hate UltraViolet). Has anyone made this work yet? Is the commentary on there?

2. Tommunist

Tommunist Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I received my Amazon Phaser set yesterday with the 3D blu-ray combo set. I don't need the dvd, so I threw it on ebay. The digital copy code I used for the iTunes version, so I get the commentary.

So, I preordered the Best Buy excusive combo pack with slipcover, and a Cinema Now (UV compatible) copy of the movie and an email code for the exclusive content. Since I already got the exclusive content free when I "pre-ordered", the code that came inside for that was also put on eBay, along with the DVD that came with that release. I used a 5$ Best Buy reward cert towards the purchase. It also came with the digital copy code for UV/iTunes that I put on ebay.

And I went to Target to get the exclusive 3D combo pack that came with the bonus Blu-ray of additional special features. I kept that bonus disc, and put on ebay the 3D disc, the blu-ray, and the DVD, along with the digital copy code.

So now, I have the phaser, the Target bonus disc, the iTunes commentary, the Cinema Now exclusive features, a UV digital copy, and of course the 3D and regular Blu-rays.

And with what has already sold and what is selling now, I may have ended up having it cover everything except the added cost of the phaser, which I wanted anyways.

Thanks Paramount, for allowing me to turn your shitty practices around into a small win for the completist in me. I'm sure this is exactly what you wanted.

3. Tommunist

Yes, I used it for iTunes, and got the commentary.
    Once I got all my accounts set up (Flixster, Vudu, Ultraviolet and CinemaNow, and the various studio websites!) I like UV. I can stream the movies away from home and download to my laptop of view on the various Roku boxes around the house. But yes, the initial setup was a hassle!

4. HaplessCrewman

HaplessCrewman Commander Red Shirt

Hey Tommunist. Thanks for the info.

Is the iTunes download one file (the feature) and the commentary as another (video and audio) file?

Do you have to download both? Or can you choose?

5. Tommunist

Well, perhaps because of the Apple news today, redeeming was a little wonky. However, with the code entered, two downloads occured, the regular feature, and the "enhanced commentary" download. I suppose you could stop the feature download if you didn't want it; you should have the option of re-downloading it later.
    I didn't have time to actually view the enhanced commentary yet! But that's the single most-wanted feature I'd want on a Blu-ray!

6. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

The Target version has the trailers for STiD on the bonus features disc which is another plus for this edition IMO.

Also on the itunes you can choose to download both the movie and the commentary or you can download one or the other. Since both downloads were so big I downloaded them one at a time.

7. Oso Blanco

Oso Blanco Commodore Commodore

That's the first thing I thought when glimpsing on the backside of the steelbook ... really stupid ... :rolleyes:

8. USSPhilippi

USSPhilippi Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Picked up the 2D Blu-ray from FYE for $14.99. I'm not huge on special features, though I am using my digital copy code to download the iTunes bonus features.

9. FreddyE

FreddyE Captain Captain

I just got the blue ray. (The Blue-Ray 3D, Blu-Ray, DVD, Digital Copy - combo pack) Some strange things: Apperantly the itunes bonus features are NOT available in Germany. It says on the blue ray cover: "Digital Copy contains feature film only, without special features, german and english audio.

And also according to the cover, the DVD-Version of the movie is shorter! It says: Blue Ray: Movie - ca 132 Min, DVD: Movie: ca 127 Min

10. Mykeprime

Mykeprime Ensign Newbie

Can anyone who picked up the target version tell me if the bonus disc is a bluray in the US? The UK equivalent from sainsburys is a normal dvd.

We got the normal special features in HD on the feature film disc and the extra exclusives in SD :/

11. Oso Blanco

That's perfectly normal. The film is slightly sped up because of the PAL conversion, nothing to worry about.

12. Tommunist

It is indeed a Blu-ray. Haven't actually watched it yet though! That stinks that you didn't get it in HD.

13. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

They probably wanted to get that feeling of deflation out of the way early.

14. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

FreddyE, I'd be eternally grateful if you could confirm/rebuff the following on the German 3D Blu-ray:

[A] It's the Variable Aspect Ratio version - shifts between IMAX 1.78:1 and Widescreen 2.40:1.

Contains the English Dolby Digital True HD 7.1 soundtrack.

[C] Concerning the stylised "burnt in" graphic subtitles - are they English with player generated German subs? Specifically, I'm referring to the sequence where Uhura is speaking to the Klingons on Kronos, and the Planet Nibiru title at the beginning etc.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2013
  15. drt

drt Commodore Commodore

I was surprised to find that with the Target version that all of the special features - regular and bonus were on the same disc. I actually like that, but it seems like it would have been more cost effective to just have the "regular" 30m of special features on the movie disc and then the Target exclusive features on a different disc. I wonder if the Canadian Best But bonus disc is that way, or if it comes with two special features discs?

16. Richard Baker

Richard Baker Commodore Commodore

I decided not to play the shopping game- I just bought the Blu-Ray from Amazon and watched it last night. When they eventually release a new-and-improved version with all the bonus features together I will sell it to a friend and get that one for the library

17. Aatrek

Aatrek Rear Admiral

TrekCore has gotten a copy of the German 3D release, and despite what the early press release said, it's the same 2.40:1 aspect ratio found on every other release - so there's no IMAX cut on there.

Also, it has none of the additional features found at Target or Best Buy stores in the US (another thing listed on that press release).

So all of our assumptions were wrong because that press release was inaccurate.

18. Oso Blanco

The back of the German 2D steelbook lists the regular special features "and more". I'm gonna find out what that's supposed to mean as soon as I get home!

19. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

I'm grateful for that information, Aatrek. I was poised to place an order for the German disc.

20. Oso Blanco

Speaking for the German 2D Steelbook version:

[A] No.

Yes.

[C] Yes.