Rumor: TNG-HD is a-coming

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by MrPointy, May 10, 2011.

1. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

They didn't have the negatives from TOS, they had the masters which were mastered on 35mm film, which is why they could just go back and rescan those masters at HD resolution. TNG was never mastered on film, which is why were having this discussion in the first place.

I'll bet you a million billion cookies that TNG-R is in fact upscaled SD masters. ;)

2. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

There were no "masters" but because the film negatives exist they could do the post-production from scratch, which in this case is expensive and time-consuming but also, ultimately the best way to go...with modern sound, music, FX etc. I recall Okuda said the FX don't exist (and couldn't be used anyway) but they probably have sound and music saved somewhere that can be used. I'm wondering if Levar had to show up to do some looping too.

Another current convo on blu-ray.com: http://forum.blu-ray.com/blu-ray-mo...k-next-generation-coming-soon-blu-ray-16.html

RAMA

Last edited: Sep 4, 2011
  3. Maxwell Everett

Maxwell Everett Commodore Commodore

It was from "Ménage à Troi" in Season 3 and Okuda stated in 2009 that all the negatives still exist.

Until recently, the negatives were probably stored in the Hutchinson Salt Mine in Kansas:

http://youtu.be/aDM_HrdRrio?t=2m35s

Last edited: Sep 4, 2011
  4. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

I haven't purchased any TNG since I cancelled my subscription to the TNG Collector's Edition on VHS from Columbia House back in the 90s.

If this HD conversion looks as good as I hope it will my wife will have a hard time stopping me from buying it!

5. gaghyogi49

gaghyogi49 Commander Red Shirt

6. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

If this is accurate
    Season 1,3, & 5 would be represented.
    I think we'd see the most improvement on the pilot from 1987 since it was an analog videotape master (ONLY in comparison with the 2002 DVD).

This demo disc would not give away their TNG-R stategy just yet.

Something tells me though that the bitrate for video will be sigjificantly higher than the complete seasons on blu-ray due to only 200 minutes on the disc for the equivalent of 4 episodes.

I'd love to see any release specs of this disc as it should say 7.1 surround sound which means a remix since 2002's DVDs.

7. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

I guess they consider Encounter at Farpoint two episodes. Hope the news is true!

8. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

9. Scotty

Scotty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The digital Bits just confirmed it.

10. Quinton O'Connor

Quinton O'Connor Commodore Commodore

So two bad hours, a decent hour and a relatively good hour.

I think I'll pass but I'll definitely keep my eyes open to the general reception. Here's hoping it's top-notch quality. Color me excited.

11. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Not sure why Sins of the Father was picked, at least not without the follow-up episodes. Those episodes make the whole stronger, though its a darn good episode in it's own right. Inner Light is more than relatively good to most people...Encounter is not a good episode by most measures but it does have one thing the remastering can use...lots of FX scenes!

RAMA

12. Quinton O'Connor

Yeah, "Sins of the Father" does seem somewhat random. I don't get it. Maybe they just wanted to do a Klingon episode and didn't want it to be too far into the timeline (in other words, carrying lots of baggage) but they didn't want it to be "Heart of Glory", either.

"The Inner Light" is a perfectly reasonable choice. It's also my favorite of the episodes listed (as I'd imagine it is for most) but I don't like it quite as much as the majority of my fellow fans.

Yeah, good point on the pilot, too.

13. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Ah here it is..but how did that german site get it first???

14. Quinton O'Connor

Good to know.

15. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm so glad they chose Encounter At Farpoint. Not starting at the first episode would have been insane. The other episodes seem somewhat arbitrary to me.

16. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Admiral

Should come out at around fifteen bucks. I'll pick it up to see Encounter at Farpoint.

17. Quinton O'Connor

For some reason I thought it would be pricier. At that cost I'll probably grab it as well.

18. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Not really--with further reflection--it spreads out the episodes over 5 seasons...which is good for a sample. Also, the Inner Light is considered the "City on the Edge of Forever" of STNG by many people. Including Sins of the father might be like including "Errand of Mercy" in a TOS sampler.

RAMA

19. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Of course you will...

And it'll probably retail $19.99-$29.99. I would spend just about any amount to get them, so it doesn't matter to me.

20. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Admiral

Encounter at Farpoint is the only thing that really interests me here. I'm burnt out on Ron Moore's over-wrought Klingons and The Inner Light has never done anything for me. :shrug:

I'd have rather seen A Matter of Honor and something like The Wounded or Ensign Ro.

As for price point... Paramount releases "Best of..." editions for both TNG and TOS at $9.99 and they quickly went to the five dollar bin at Wal-Mart. I think the days of Paramount over charging for the sixth re-release of material is over. TOS full season Blu-Ray sets came out @ $64.99 after the series was released originally for $129.99 per season on DVD.

A single Blu-ray release may retail for $20, but no way they retail for $30.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2011