DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Ah I understand now, yeah since Mark Doyle has taken over the Bat-Books there has been a noticeable difference compared to Marts. Maybe it was his Vertigo background that they liked and his willingness to explore different styles that got him the promotion last year after Marts left?

2. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Not quite sure what to make of the new Batman. With all of the gadgets he's used over the decades, I don't think a mech suit is totally rediculous. I do agree that the "ears" are way to long. It makes it look more like a rabbit suit, than a bat suit.
    Not really sure what to make of Hal's new look to be honest.

3. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

All of these designs (with the possible exception of Flash and Green Arrow) seem to be very much story arc dependent and temporary.

4. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, probably.

5. Admiral_Young

I'm pretty sure that the new Batman suit is stemming out of the events of "Convergence" as Greg Capullo recently posted sketches of it for the Batman tie-in issue.

6. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

It's also a logical outgrowth of Snyder's run since I think he strongly wants to incorporate present day elements of Batman Beyond (such as the Powers) into his run. And an exo-suit would pave the way for the Beyond!Batsuit.

7. theenglish

I was looking through the June solicits today and discovered that there are several differences between now and what was announced in February:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/a...s-feature-new-titles-costumes-and-status-quos

Particularly, I noticed that Dark Universe and Cyborg are not on the list but that a couple of previously unannounced titles have appeared. Any word on if Dark Universe and Cyborg are not going into production or will we just not see them in June?

8. Hound of UIster

Probably shipping in July.

9. Admiral_Young

I agree about the "Batman Beyond" elements...I believe in both his "Detective" run and in "Gates of Gotham" which really was the start of using Gotham as a character again in his run/s...he mentions the Powers family as having influence in Gotham. I think it might have also been in "Court of Owls".

10. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Batman Eternal is having a pretty cool ending. The reveal at the end of #50 was a complete jaw dropper to me. And so was the reveal at the end of #51! While I'd only semi-recommend the series as a whole, it's definitely worth catching the last three issues.

Batman and Robin #40. I was surprised that Damien's powers just ran out like that with nothing dramatic happening. A cute little story but it never really went anywhere.

I finally sat down and read the first Act of Godhead (six issues). It's alright. Certainly better than anything since Johns left. I think I'll stop reading the GL family after this. I just don't care anymore.

11. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I finished the God Head crossover. It was ok. I think I'm done reading any of the GL books at this point. Good jumping off point.

12. USS Pertinax

USS Pertinax Lieutenant Red Shirt

Is the latest Suicide Squad any good?

13. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

I was curious about Godhead, but not enough to pick up the individual issues. It seemed like something that would be easier (and more convenient) to read in trade.

14. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I hope it gets some direct referencing in the forthcoming Justice League / Darkseid War story, because the story was basically about the New Gods preparing to go to war with Darkseid and the Lanterns being caught in the middle...

15. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

I think if they'd trimmed the fat a little it would have been better. That whole subplot with Batwing was just a waste of space if you ask me. If they had just stuck to the main story it would have felt much stronger. Overall I like it though.

16. Admiral_Young

Read "Batman and Robin #40" while I agree that this Super-powered story arc felt rushed...it would appear BC's report about editorial asking various teams to wrap up their arcs before the move starts was true...I still enjoyed it. I don't know if I will be picking up Patrick Gleeson's book in June. Still making my mind up about that, if I don't will have my Damian fix in "Gotham Academy". I'm guessing he's signed up to act as a Mole for Bruce much like Dick has been acting as a mole in Spyral.

17. Hound of UIster

It's even more obvious (and more badly done) in Aquaman imo.

18. Savage Dragon

Do you mean Aquaman #40? I haven't read it yet.

19. theenglish

Can't wait to find out who the fake Aquaman is as the "real" Aquaman has been in a coma since the beginning of Forever Evil.

20. Savage Dragon

^You almost had me there for a second.

I just read it and yes, it did feel a bit rushed. I think The Flash felt a bit rushed too.