Wicked, possibly coming to theater in 2016

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Vanyel, Jan 9, 2015.

1. Vanyel

Vanyel The Imperious Leader Premium Member

I wondered what the new musical to movie adaptation would be. It looks like Wicked could be it.

Wicked 2016

Excited?

Should Chenoweth and Menzel be given the leads?

Thoughts? Ideas?

2. Amaris

Amaris Guest

I still want to see the musical! If there's a movie adaptation, that would be terrific, but I still have yet to experience it the way it was originally intended.

3. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Assuming that the powers that be consider Chenowith and Menzel too old at this point (not totally an unfair argument given large chunks of the story take place when the characters are young), they really, really, need to cast Lea Michelle as Elphaba.

4. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

After Ella Enchanted, Enchanted, Grimm, Once Upon a Time, Maleficent, Into the Woods, Cinderella, Tangled, Frozen, and more, haven't we all had about enough revisionist fairy tales, asks a guy who eagerly looks forward to and watches four superhero TV shows and just as many (if not more) superhero movie franchises?! Can't we all just grow up already, says a guy who's definitely paying to see Ant-Man in theaters?! :p

5. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Would rather see a movie based on the book (which was the basis for the musical) rather than the musical, but I guess it's better than nothing.

6. Vanyel

Vanyel The Imperious Leader Premium Member

What are the differences?

7. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

I read the first two books and saw the play and enjoyed them both. I'm definitely checking out the movie.

The play is pretty close to the book but the book covers more of the past, and of course, no music.

8. Campe

Campe Vice Admiral Admiral

Why wouldn't they cast Chenowith and Menzel for age? They cast 95% of the original cast of Rent (including Menzel) for the film version and they didn't look old.

Oh... wait...

9. Owain Taggart

What bbjeg said, and I think they're also quite a bit darker, which I found quite interesting. It felt like Oz grown up, an interesting take on Oz in general.

10. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

^Yeah, the book was darker and more mature.

11. Owain Taggart

Yeah, it also took the world and its subject matter a bit more seriously, more in the vein of a good solid fantasy a la Tolkien. That's what I really enjoyed about it.

12. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I'm honestly kind of surprised it's taken this long.

13. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

^Agreed. There was a musical craze not too long ago that I expected to see Wicked a part of (late nineties or early 00's).