Bride of Chaotica

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Spot's Meow, Jun 7, 2014.

1. Spot's Meow

Spot's Meow Vice Admiral Admiral

I am going through Voyager on Netflix for the first time. I just recently watched Bride of Chaotica and I have to say...I think it is the worst episode of Voyager I have seen. About even with Threshold.

I don't mind that the episode is mostly in black and white, I don't even mind so much the over-the-top acting (though it's not my favorite style), and the plot itself is actually quite interesting.

I think what turned me off was how out of character everyone seemed. Obviously when they were playing their parts in the holodeck that makes sense, but I just feel like normally they would have been taking this problem way more seriously.

For example one of the aliens says that 53 of his people have been killed. This is dismissed by Paris as being not true since it is all a simulation, but it seems clear as the episode goes on that the photonic beings really can be harmed in the holodeck. So, uhhh, does the fact that their first contact resulted in mass casualties not bother anyone? Normally that would be a moral issue that Janeway would be likely to spend days agonizing over. But I guess because it's a campy and fun holodeck program we will just forget about that?

Even if by some unexplained reason those aliens didn't die, the aliens sure thought they did, so you would think that more levity would be called for.

Also, the episode felt too long. It's the first time I was continually looking at the progress of the episode to see how much longer I had until it was finally over.

Voyager is such a funny show. A huge percentage of the episodes are truly excellent, some of the best Trek I have seen, and then we have these anomalies that make you feel like you are watching a different show.

2. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

But..Queen Arachnia!

3. Taylirious

Taylirious Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I liked the EP to be honest. LOL. I do understand what you mean about those issues.

4. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

I liked the episode because I'd probably run a similar program if I had a holodeck.

5. teacake

I think it's a good example of VOY almost falling into a total comedy ep, should have fallen a little deeper :lol:

6. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

I love the episode, it's like if Dan Harmon wrote a Voyager episode.

Kim and Paris in the mooorning!

7. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

8. ReedEnterprise

ReedEnterprise Captain Captain

I liked the episode as well. It was different, and just made me laugh

9. lee249

lee249 Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

'Bride of Chaotica' is one of the funniest episodes. I mean yeah, it was filmed in black & white but gave Kate Mulgrew a chance to demonstrate her versatile acting ability. Loved the scene in the holodeck when Janeway posed as the real Arachnia in order to defeat the evil Dr Chaotica by lowering his lightening shield and restoring order.

'HAH! you're no match for Arachnia' :lol:

10. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

11. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Bride of Chaotica is Voyager's Royale. A divisive comedy episode that puts characters in the position of having to role play bad fiction.

12. Captain Kathryn

Captain Kathryn Commodore Commodore

I love Bride of Chaotica! It isn't my favorite comedy episode of VOY (I reserve "Body and Soul", "Message in a Bottle", "Tinker Tenor Doctor Spy", and even "Someone to Watch Over Me" for my fave comedies). However it's fantastic! Come on everyone deserves to get a little silly, even the Captain. :lol:

The thing is...it COULD have been turned into a "photonic rights" episode and "holograms are real" (which by the way I love those themes, but just not for this ep). But it was going for comedy, it was going for silly. It wasn't going for a photonic beings are real etc kind of episode. And I get the issues you mentioned. But still it's just Trek having some fun.

13. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Got stand up for "Bride of Chaotica," too. One of my favorite episodes--and a hilarious riff on old-time space opera serials. It's a nostalgic labor of love, and everybody involved seems to be having a ball.

Probably my second-favorite holodeck episode, after "Our Man Bashir."

14. Spot's Meow

I'm not opposed to comedy episode of Voyager and silliness. I think if they had just left out of the line about the 53 aliens being killed then I would have been more able to join in the fun. However that comment is made early in the episode and just put a damper on the rest of it for me. I mean, Janeway has freaked out about the possibility of losing just one alien life before, especially if Voyager may have played a part in causing that death, so to think that she would be smiling and joking when dozens are dying on Voyager is just a little too out of character for me to accept, no matter what the theme of the episode may be. It doesn't help that they never really addressed it, they just sort of wrapped it all up like, "okay that was fun, back to the bridge!" It was just so opposite of what I have come to expect from these characters.

I wish that if they were really going for a totally silly episode, that they had not had dozens of aliens killed in the process.

15. Captain Kathryn

Captain Kathryn Commodore Commodore

I agree it may have been better left out. However the overall tone was meant to be fun. So yeah involving the deaths of alien beings photonics or otherwise was unnecessary. However I haven't watched the episode in while. Maybe I'll give it a rewatch to see maybe why they added that bit.

16. M.A.C.O.

M.A.C.O. Commodore Commodore

Bride of Chaotica is one of the highlights of Season 5 IMO. Funny and enjoyable.

17. teacake

I think I shall get Spot's Meow drunk and show it to her again.

18. Spot's Meow

I've got no objections to that! Though it's only 10 a.m. now, and I think this would best be an evening activity.

19. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

I liked the various Captain Proton vignettes we'd usually get, and they went all out with "Bride of Chaotica". I'm a fan of the old Flash Gordon serials, and the 3 Republic serials featuring the Rocketman character.

Martin Rayner as Dr. Chaotica was always hilarious in the Proton episodes, and really seemed to be enjoying hamming it up.

20. teacake

:lol:

And of course Paris gets to say this to Captain Janeway..

It's pure camp, Paris knows it and he's just sucked right into it. Look at these ridiculous things he gets to say to his commanding officer! It's like all his worlds came together and baked him a perfect cake.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2014