Could 2011 be the year of the Western?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by AviTrek, Feb 7, 2011.

1. AviTrek

AviTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It seems like there are a number of Westerns or Western era shows in the works for 2011.

AMC has already ordered Hell on Wheels for late 2011. Ron Moore is working on a Wild Wild West remake for CBS(although no word on a pilot yet). And NBC just ordered a pilot for The Crossing.

Granted 3 shows is nothing compared with the number of doctor/lawyer/cop shows we get. And only the AMC show is guaranteed of getting a season, but it still feels like we could see a growing trend here.

Personally, I'm excited and hope the networks may finally break free of the procedural rut they've been in recently. Of course if all these shows flops we know the will just be replaced by another generic cop show.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

Funny, I thought this was going to be about True Grit and Cowboys and Aliens.

Added to those tv developments it does appear to be a micro trend that I hope continues to grow.

I love the genre. My fascination has increased over the last few years. Partially because I seen almost everything in the sci-fi and fantasy genres. There are hundreds of old movies and tv shows I have never seen to pick and choice from.

I would love to see a western tv equivalent of Mad Men. In terms of writing and period detail.

One of the great things about 3:10 to Yuma and True Grit is they were both fresh and vital. Which is ironic because both are remakes. With both focusing on characters and storytelling. So many westerns of recent decades are homages to the styles of films of the past. I think if this new crop of westerns is going to be successful it needs to continue to break out of that. Looking towards the real history more.

3. KB24

KB24 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It could be. That would be nice. Although I don't think westerns are going to go the likes of hysteria like vamps and zombies have overdone recently, but respectable consistent westerns will be a nice niche change of pace again. Although one might argue that steady westerns have never really gone away and have increased in the past few years with the 3:10 to Yuma remake and No Country for Old Men.

Ever notice when there is a quality western about that wins all kinds of awards, they still seem to be few and far between? Before No Country and True Grit we have to go all the way back to Unforgiven, don't we? Why isn't there usually a big western bandwagon? Not that I like them when they are bad, but give some due respect! Do they not make enough money for folks, or do they think the older western target audience is dying off? Then again, when they try and make westerns young and hip and mainstream, we get mish mashed crap like Jonah Hex.

Perhaps Cowboys and Aliens will get that crossover appeal. Westerns generally ebb and flow the way vampire films used to. Oh, let the good ole boys have their western and give them some awards? What, we need something scary and hip, toss out Underworld! Will westerns be the next overkill genre? All the people who liked a genre before it goes mainstream are the ones who get inevitably screwed.

Actually, John Carpenter's vampires is kind of both, too. :)

4. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Those three would all be uncharacteristic Westerns (which is a good thing). Hell on Wheels is specifically about the Transcontinental Railroad, not the usual subject for a Western. The Crossing is set in Missouri, which is too far east for a "real" Western. Sounds more like a period drama about Reconstruction. And of course Wild Wild West is (or I hope will be) steampunk. :D

They all sound interesting. And any show that isn't another cop show is a good show.

5. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

How about Billy the Kid's vampire gang being chased by Pat Garrett and his team of slayers? Only to end up having to work together when the region is overrun with zombies? :lol:

6. AviTrek

AviTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I agree. Let's hope AMC pulls it off with Hell On Wheels.

7. Gotham Central

Gotham Central Vice Admiral Admiral

GOD I HOPE NOT!

I absolutely loathe westerns. Hell, I largely passed on Firefly when it initially aired because of the western motif. I grew to like it despite the cringe inducing western stuff.

8. Bishop76

Bishop76 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It would be great if it were the year of the Western. But they need to be quality. True Grit is amazing, but how much interest will there be in products that come in far below that quality level?

9. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Isn't True Grit a John Wayne western from the late 60s? Or did they do a remake?

10. Candlelight

Candlelight Admiral Admiral

The only westerns I have enjoyed are Firefly, Back to the Future 3 and Brisco County, Jnr, mainly cos they had sci fi elements in this.

Now I don't enjoy them but others do, so I will simply follow the advice I give when someone doesn't like something.

Don't watch.

11. Bishop76

Bishop76 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The Coen Brothers did a remake of True Grit that is actually (in my opinion) superior to the original.

12. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!
    I love westerns.

13. tharpdevenport

tharpdevenport Admiral Admiral

I've heard a few things on the remake of "True Grit". Many lines reused, and so forth. Essentially, aren't the main differences just the composer and which side the eye patch is on?

14. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

The recent version of True Grit was actually based more on the original book and not intended as a "remake" of the John Wayne movie as such.

15. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm sorry but why is this is Sci-Fi Gen? Shouldn't this be moved to TV/Media?

16. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

Here's an idea - just don't watch westerns then. But why deprive those of us who do like them the chance to enjoy some rootin' tootin' gunslingin' just because it's not your cup of tea?

I also thought that this thread would be inspired by True Grit and Cowboys and Aliens? However, I'm a bit wary of the idea of the idea of the revival of this great genre. In the early 1990s, following Dances With Wolves and Unforgiven, it was thought that the western was back but sadly that proved to be a false dawn. Tombstone was one of the few hits to follow in their wake but The Quick and the Dead or Wyatt Earp failed to set the world alight.

There have been some decent westerns since then (Costner's Open Range is especially good IMHO) but despite the likes of Russell Crowe (3:10 To Yuma) or Jeff Bridges (Wild Bill) appearing in them, the genre hasn't really taken off as a whole. But if True Grit did herald its return (and let's not forget the Johnny Depp-starring Lone Ranger in the works), I'd be very happy.

17. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

If they didn't do Westerns, they do more cop shows. About HALF the shows getting pilot orders this season are cop shows! Or at least it seems that way. :p

18. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

Yes, exactly! There are enough damn cop shows! Certainly there is an audience for cop/procedurals. But I don't understand why there are SO many. Most seem interchangeable to me. Two series could probably exchange scripts for a week, change the character names and few small details, and no one would notice.

19. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

USA attempted a "CSI in the wild west" show with Tom Berenger a few years back.

20. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

I wasn't sure if you were serious or not, so I IMDB'd it. And serious you were. Peacemakers it was called. I would have watched that, had it aired over here.