New live action "Turtles"?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by The Borgified Corpse, Apr 25, 2010.

1. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

I dunno. It's usually lame whenever a movie takes an alien and makes them into walking-talking boxes of American Slang/popular culture.

2. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I agree. Like I said earlier, the moment you try thinking about it too hard and adding more backstory, it falls apart. The Turtles were pure 80's and the mutation is about the extent that we really need to know. Pushing that further is just a bad idea. Some things are just better left alone.

One of my favourite Turtles movie was actually the animated movie from awhile back. I'm not talking about the CGI movie, but rather traditional animation, which featured a crossover between all the different versions of the Turtles including the comics. It showed that the 80's Turtles had way more personality than the ones from the recent cartoons.

3. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

I really think the first (live action) Turtles movie is very good. It's a good mix of the Turtles and how they were in their original comic book run and the Turtles kids new on the cartoon. (About the only thing that translated from there were the personalities of the turtles and their character traits.) SotO tilted a bit too far into emulating the toon, losing that "dark edge" of the Turtles and the less said about TiT the better. The CGI movie from a few years ago was okay, but I think it took too many of the more sci-fi elements from the original comics that already strain the SoDB some may be willing to doll out.

Making the Turtles aliens? Wouldn't this damage if not make it impossible for much of their deeper, darker, back story to be used? Particularly the relationship between Hamato Yoshi, Oroku Saki (Splinter/Shredder)?

I still hope against odds that Bay was taking some piss and the actual origins will be used in the movie. If not... Man will I be pissed because.... Ugh.

Hell I like the "back story" they seem to going with now in the current run of the comics. Go with that!

But making them fucking aliens? That's just going to be stupid.

4. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

If you mean Turtles Forever then I agree. That was a very enjoyable made for TV movie that any long time Turtles fan should watch. Especially if your association goes back to the late 80's/early 90's.

The video rant of Racist Alien Big Boob Explosions was a bit funny though.

5. Owain Taggart

Yep, that's the one I'm referring to. It was very entertaining and felt respectful towards the source material.

6. Agenda

Agenda Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think Peter Parker should be an alien. Give me a good reason why not.

7. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Right now, I'm scratching my head, wondering whether his being an extraterrestrial is the secret that's been kept from him in The Amazing Spider Man. I guess I can't give you a good reason, then. Sorry. :shrug:

8. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Jonathan Liebesman is out doing spin control and in the process insulting our knowledge of TMNT.
    Michael Bay's comment was the turtles would be alien.
    The ooze having alien ties is an entirely different matter.
    Yes, the Utroms had infiltrated TCRI and contributed to the ooze. That is not in dispute.

Saying ooze=alien(or alien-esque) sure. I can post pics of utroms at TCRI in early TMNT issues, I have the hardcover.
    Saying turtles=alien doesn't fly, cause turtles are terrestrial

9. Owain Taggart

Yeah, exactly. It would be more accurate to say that their mutation is a product of the alien ooze, not that they're alien themselves. They can expand on where the ooze came from all they want, but it wouldn't necessarily change anything in a meaningful way.

10. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, people started saying things like "Lucas wanted to add the midichlorians as an explanation for the Force", and then made them a scapegoat for Jar Jar Binks. The explanation for the Force happened in 1977.

11. Owain Taggart

Say what? :confused: I'm not sure what you're trying to say here. We didn't get an in-depth explanation for how the force worked until the prequels when the midichlorians were introduced, which in my opinion demystified the force. If you mean that all you needed to know about it was what was said in 1977, then I agree with you. Looking it up however, I see that while the concept was created in 1977, it didn't appear in the movies until TPM, which is where most will be familiar with it. Anyhow, this is a Turtles thread and I only meant it to be something to compare with.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2012
  12. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Midichlorians don't explain the Force. They explain Force sensitivity, or why some people are Jedi material and some aren't. If they demystify the issue of Force sensitivity, that's fine with me. I'd rather have Force sensitivity explained in this way, as opposed to some people having it "just because". And we already knew from ROTJ that Force sensitivity can be passed down hereditarily in a bloodline, so midichlorians just provide specifics on how this happens.

13. FordSVT

FordSVT Vice Admiral Admiral

14. Yoda

Yoda Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And the Conquistadors probably could've gotten rich engaging in fair trade with the natives. Turns out raping and pillaging for the fuck of it is just really fun for some people. Michael Bay and Paramount, you dirty ethnic cleansing heartless motherfuckers.

15. Owain Taggart

Oh ok. I can live with that. I just wish you had been clearer about it the first time around :) But that's a discussion for another time. I just feel that in general, we don't always need everything explained to us.

16. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

Come on, this is a put on right? April 1st isn't that far away, perhaps then they'll come out and say the whole thing was an elaborate April fools day prank...

...please?

17. Silent_Bob

Silent_Bob Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Surely this has to be an elaborate practical joke? Is this research to see just how many times you can change an IP yet claim nothing will be different before someone attempts a lynching?

On the plus side i think its fairly accurate to say now that this film has nothing to do with Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and should be ignored as irrelevant. It's just unfortunate that this nonsense will delay a future adaptation that actually stays true to its source material.

18. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

Next thing we know they'll be telling us they're no longer going to be Turtles either. You know, capitalizing on the fact that Doctor Who is big among the geek crowd. Then they'll call it "Alien Ninjas."

19. Chris3123

Chris3123 Vice Admiral Admiral

Principal photography to begin later this year in Vancouver.

Link

20. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

This was posted on Michael Bay's site...

Link

And now news is spreading that Fox has been cast as April O'Neil.