STO: TrekBBS Armada and House of TrekBBS - Fleet discussion and FAQ

Discussion in 'Trek Gaming' started by Timelord Victorious, Apr 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. intrinsical

intrinsical Commodore Commodore

Re: STO: TrekBBS Armada and House of TrekBBS - Fleet discussion and FA

My perspective is somewhat different from yours. Unlike some other MMOs I have played where the base can deteriorate if the fleet members does not put effort in constantly maintaining it, the STO fleet base does not deteriorate. So every little contribution is a permanent step forward in the goal towards a tier 5 base.

Personally, I am in STO on a long term basis so I am not terribly concerned that we won't have a tier 5 base in a year. Instead, I am much more concerned with having a small group of friends who can play regularly.

2. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

As someone who only intermittently logs on (mostly to send duty officers off), what will we have to do to set up the starbase, exactly? Stockpile resources? Play specific missions?

3. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

The "small group of friends who can play regularly" is one of the problems, though. Outside of a big 'event' weekend, I almost never see anyone else online. There's occasionally 1-2 others on with me, max. Really, only fleet interaction at this point for me is in this thread. My game play consists of pickup groups off of the EliteSTF channel.

If we DID have a small group of active players, it would be fun. Not convinced that we do. Think we've got enough people on the roster to be considered a decent fleet, which means it'll take a while to build things, but most are inactive, so are actually hurting us on numbers. (thought smaller fleets would have an easier time building things?).

Either way, would like to see what more people think, but tough even getting voices in this thread. Where's our new Fearless Leader? ;)

See where it goes when Season 6 launches, but seriously considering taking my main toon Fleet shopping if it looks like we're not gonna be able to get off the ground. If Fleet Actions are going to be a bigger part of the game, would like to be in a fleet where there's another person logged in at the same time as me. I've got an alternate toon I'd leave in the fleet no matter what (and a KDF), but just feeling that we're pretty stagnant/dead at this point, which is sad for one of the larger, more organized, groups of Trek fans on the web.

4. Trek

Trek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm here! My apologies for my absence over the last couple of months. I've been moving home and, along with another couple of personal issues, this has prevented me for getting into the game. However, these issues are now all cleared and I will now be online much much more (Starting from last night, I will try to be online every week night).

I'm thinking of running a fleet event at least once a week to encourage more of us online. I really want to get the fleet moving again and geared up for Season 6's release. That way we will be able to take full advantage of the new fleet actions.

I'll also take a look at the inactive members and see if we can encourage some of them back.

5. intrinsical

Building up the base involves fleet members contributing toward projects selected by fleet leaders and senior officers. Each project has different requirements but in general they require fleet members to contribute stuff like equipment, commodities, crafting materials, bridge officer experience (to be renamed expertise soon), duty officers, refugees, dilithium, "Fleet Marks" and possibly more.

"Fleet Marks" are be earned when you successfully complete new fleet actions that will be released in Season 6. They include starbase defense (space and ground), convoy defense and "No Win Scenario" fleet action.

6. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

Question.
    How would the majority of you feel about introducing an RP element into the fleet.
    To interact in character and build an actual story around the fleetbuilding and events?

I have great with that in SWTOR where I spend most of my time these days.

That would actually give an opportunity to involve the smaller House of TrekBBS.

If we keep the conmunity but divorce it otherwise from the board we could even get new members from among the RPers in game which is mostly a more mature crowd.

That would be a reason for me to come back.

7. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

I personally wouldn't be interested in it. Really just looking for people to be active enough that I can recruit for a Fleet Action or STF occasionally when I'm around and looking for a team, or people to be on the chat channel so I can ask questions, show off loot, etc. Or to actively participate in the Starbase process, donating time/materials/experience to get that off the ground and enable us to get better gear/ships.

Honestly, I'd be a little disappointed if I checked and actually saw a bunch of fleet members on for a change, but they're flooding the channel RPing instead of doing the stuff above. Or using a TrekBBS RP channel and just ignoring the regular fleet channel...

8. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

Traditionally RP happens in the local channel which you can only "hear" in direct proximity in your zone while fleet and every other channel is used OOC for that reason.

Personally I can't get myself to keep playing the same 3 butchered STF anymore or keep on senseless grinding, as there is nothIng i am grinding for.

What I want is content, and if the game serves as the sandbox to create my own content, so be it.
    And I don't mean the foundry.

STO calls itself an MMORPG. Most people treat it like an MO (nothing massiv about it). I would love to put the RPG and with it the Trek back into it.

9. Praetor Adele

Praetor Adele Commodore Commodore

I'm going to pitch in, and hopefully I won't come across as too unilateral.

I don't think having a component of the fleet that RPs would be a problem to the rest of us, or anyone at all. It's something you can do while you're and, and we can join or we won't. It's lovely, especially if it gives some distant players a reason to come back. If we are going to look at adding people into the Fleet, I would like to make sure that everyone is aware of who they vouch for, etc, so there will be no need for unpleasant discussions.

As far as building Starbases, there have been two of us putting in serious time on Tribble learning some of the ins and outs of Season 6 as we've seen it so far. One of the nice things is you legitimately seem to get out of it what you put into it.

There are all new pseudo-STFs to run (all of which are quite fun!), which provide neccesary contributions to fleet projects, but anyone with spare DOFFs, Dilithium, Commodities, Fighters, or anything lying around will be able to pitch something in.

Should there be a handful of us who keep on top of how things are going? Sure. But it's not neccesary, and I wouldn't want anyone to seriously worry that a larger roster will slow down how long it takes us to get the shineys. The projects are what they are, people who contribute are great, people who don't don't factor into the equation. If you don't contribute, you don't get what is essentially "fleet cash" and you won't be able to benefit until you've thrown something towards the Greater Good.

If anyone has any questions about my experiences with S6 and Tribble please feel free to post here, or send me an in-game mail. I've gotten a couple of requests for Tribble Fleet invites and I hope those have gotten through.

In Service,

10. intrinsical

Just to add on to what I wrote yesterday, here are some figures from STOWiki. It provides a rough idea of the amount of resources required to get a Tier 1 Starbase.

Tier 1 Starbase
    1,080 Fleet Marks
    64,800 Dilithium
    48 non-civilian duty officers
    825 Industrial Energy Cells
    400 Self Sealing Stem Bolts
    25 particle traces

Tier 1 Shipyard
    540 Fleet Marks
    10,500 Dilithium
    5 tactical or security common (white) duty officers
    300 Industrial Replicators
    905 Shield Generators
    150 Self Sealing Stem Bolts

Tier 1 Industrial Fabricator
    540 Fleet Marks
    32,400 Dilithium
    24 engineering or operations common (white) duty officers
    36,000 Bridge Officer Skill Points
    250 Industrial Replicators
    425 Industrial Energy Cells
    100 Self Sealing Stem Bolts

The amount of resources required quadruples when going from Tier 1 to Tier 2. Its a very smart system. Early birds can chip in on the easy stuff like Industrial Replicators and Self Sealing Stem Bolts while the rest of the fleet will need to play the new content and new fleet actions in order to earn and contribute fleet marks or dilithium. Every resource that a member contributes will give the member a certain amount of Fleet Credit, which can be used to purchase better weapons, gear and starships.

For example, most of the new retrofit starships require 200k Fleet Credit and all "fleet retrofits" require 20k Fleet Credit plus "something" from the C-Store. So if you want better starships, you'll need to contribute a lot of resources.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2012
  11. Trek

Those seem like sensible levels (I could meet most of those on my own, save the fleet marks.)

I'm thinking of doing an open fleet event tomorrow night (circa 9 to 10pm BST). If season 6 goes live, we can try out some of the new features, if it doesn't we could have a go at an stf or fleet action.

12. intrinsical

Fleet Marks and Dilithium are the two major bottlenecks, possibly duty officers as well. Most people won't be willing to part with their own Dilithium unless they're swimming in the stuff. As for Fleet Marks, successfully completing a single fleet action only gives 5 to 15 Fleet Marks so members will need to play a 200-300 fleet actions just to hit Tier 1.

13. T J

T J Commodore Commodore

I'd love to join in the fleet! :)

Jake Fox@galactic-roamer

14. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

I doubt the duty officers will be a problem; I almost have enough in my inventory to handle the requirements on my own. Dilithium and fleet marks (what are those, again?) seem to be the challenge here.

15. Briquettes

Briquettes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'd like to join the fleet as well.

Briquettes@Briquettes (such an original name :lol:)

16. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

I'll chip in what I can.

17. intrinsical

That's totally fine :) Rome wasn't built in a day, neither are starbases.

18. Trek

No problem - I'll add you both when I get home tonight (unless someone beats me to it).

19. Trek

I've enabled the new fleet options at various levels, so go have a play.

I've also added some projects on our starbase and contributed some stuff to get us started.

20. T J

T J Commodore Commodore

And our Starbase is coming along nicely! :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.