Over-saturation

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by MikeS, May 14, 2013.

1. Pavonis

Pavonis Commodore Commodore

You couldn't possibly do it in just five minutes anyway. There's, what, 700+ hours of Trek. If you want to "savor", do so. So what if it takes you years to get through all of the shows and films?

I just don't get what you mean by "over-saturation". You were around for the real over-saturation of Trek in the 1990s, weren't you?

2. MikeS

MikeS Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yes. I was.

3. Pavonis

Then why are you comparing now to then?

4. MikeS

Were my previous posts not clear enough? I'll try again.

Because in the space of three months we have had two seasons of TNG, one of ENT and a new movie. Even in the late nineties fans weren't asked to shell out for this many hours of Trek all at once.

I am enjoying TNG HD one episode at a time, one per week, with others in the TNG forum. We are up to Q, Who. I haven't gotten around to buying the third season yet and don't intend to until I have "savoured" the second fully. I wondered if other people were in this situation and whether CBS might thus perceive season three as a bad-seller. I expressed my fears that this might effect their desire to do DS9 etc.

Also, I made a point about the way TNG HD season two had turned out and felt that if they'd have taken the release schedule a little more slowly CBS could have remastered it and avoided the botch-job we got.

Is it the word I've used? "Over-saturated"? Perhaps I should have said "market flooded with goodies"? "Over-saturated with remastered merchandise"? I am trying really hard to understand your argument here and can only think it is a misunderstanding of language?

5. Pavonis

No, your previous posts weren't clear enough for me. No one is "asked" to shell out money for the all these Trek discs. Few people want all the Trek shows in their collection. And apparently you are alone in thinking the releases are "too fast" and alone in seeking to "savor" the episodes. I don't understand the need to "savor" it. When I watch the Trek shows, I run in spurts - a few episodes back-to-back, then long periods without watching it at all. Recreating a weekly episode release doesn't seem necessary or desirable, and I don't understand why anyone would want to recreate the 1990s.

I'll leave you to your once weekly viewing now. Have fun with it.

6. MikeS

I agree, I do seem to be alone in the viewpoint that they are being released too fast. That is why I asked the question. But just as you do not understand my need to "savour" things done properly, I do not understand your need to rush through things in "spurts". I am not trying to recreate the nineties, just enjoying an experience, one I'd rather was done properly.

Different strokes. :bolian:

7. horatio83

horatio83 Commodore Commodore

Oversaturation? To me there is never enough Trek. More options are never a bad thing and if I don't like a particular movie or series I do not have to watch it.

8. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

RE: MikeS. The conditions you're describing -- a flood of Star Trek catalog titles on home video -- is no different than the early 2000s. (Actually, on DVD, TNG came out at a faster rate than it has on Blu-Ray).

The difference between then and now is that in the early 2000s there was a theatrical movie on the horizon and a Star Trek show on television; now all we have are the movies. If the market is currently saturated with Star Trek then it has been saturated for two decades.

9. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

A lot of it is because of the new movie. It is standard when new movies are released in popular franchises to really pump product out related to it. The James Bond movies were re-issued last year prior to Skyfall's release, there was a ton of Batman stuff last summer before The Dark Knight Rises was released. Even before Trek XI's release in 2009 all three seasons of TOS and all ten Prime movies got their first blu-ray release.

10. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

A promotional episode?!!

11. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

I think R. Star is referring to the TNG theatrical events.

12. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, Harvey's right. I don't know if they were doing this in Australia, but in the US and Canada they've been showing a couple of episodes in the theaters every couple months to promote blu-ray sales every time they release a new season.

Just watched Best of Both Worlds on the BIG SCREEN earlier this month. Is it silly I was more excited about that, than the new movie? ;)

13. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

I think the US and Canada is the only place they are doing the theatrical events.

As for blu-ray sales, remember some people might be waiting for the complete series collection before buying.

14. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

That kind of thinking kills blu-ray sales...:(

15. R. Star

Or people like me are perfectly satisfied with the DVD set they have and don't see the point of shelling out 90 bucks times seven to watch the same episodes with slightly better graphics. :p

16. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oh yes, they are doing that. Haven't been to any. I think I'll wait for the DS9 or VOY promotional episodes :)

17. R. Star

BoBW is the only one I've been to. The Season 1 and 2 eps... well let's just say, the concept of seeing them on the big screen doesn't overcome my distaste of movie theaters.

I verily hope I'm wrong on this, but I just don't see DS9 and VOY getting similar promotions. They weren't nearly as engrained in popular culture as TNG was. Even the non-Star Trek fans usually know who Picard and Data are. Not so with Sisko/Dax or Janeway and Tuvok.

18. PlainSimpleJoel

PlainSimpleJoel Fleet Admiral Premium Member

I know they had a cinema screening for the first release in Sydney, but none of the others.

Anyways, have no problem with the amount of blu rays getting released at the moment. I've just got around to buying the TOS ones. They use to over $125 per season, and were reduced to less than 40 dollars recently. Not sure if I'll upgrade my dvds to blu rays for TNG or VOY, but shall for DS9.

19. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Well yes and no. If they do release a complete series collection, and people buy it. That still counts as a sale, and earns some money.

Sure maybe not as much as buying 7 individual releases, but it still earns money.

It's not as if they've done anything special with the boxsets to entice people to buy, the orignal releases came out in hard plastic shells.