AVENGERS: Grade, Reviews, Discuss, DVD & Sequel **SPOILERS**

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Captain Craig, Apr 20, 2012.

?

How do you grade The Avengers?

Poll closed Nov 26, 2012.
  1. A+

46.4%
  2. A

31.8%
  3. A-

9.3%
  4. B+

5.3%
  5. B

3.4%
  6. B-

1.6%
  7. C+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. C

1.2%
  9. C-

0.3%
  10. D+

0.3%
  11. D

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. D-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. F

0.3%
  1. Skellington

Skellington Part-time poltergeist Rear Admiral

^ Logan wouldn't even get to finish that sentence.

2. TremblingBluStar

TremblingBluStar Vice Admiral Admiral

Further, they should stick with and further explore the already established characters - not throw new ones into the mix.

3. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

Anyone else particularly like the scene where...

...Banner rides up to the other Avengers on the moped, during the battle? :lol: It's amazing how much comedic awesomeness came from the Hulk in the movie.

4. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

What is it that he says? "Well this is pretty horrible." :D The way he says it to.

I saw it a second time today. Still a solid film, wonder how it will hold up on repeated viewings on DVD though? Probably just as good as the others.

5. USS Mariner

USS Mariner Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Imagine if Fury packed adamantium bullets:

Fury: "I'm here to talk to you."

Logan: "Go fuck your..."

*BANG* (headshot on Logan)

Logan: "Ow, my head, wait, who are you?"

Fury: "I'm here to talk to you"

Logan "Go fuck your..."

*BANG*

6. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'd pay to see a movie where Nick Fury just shot Wolverine over and over and over. Bonus points if he can nail Gambit with a ricochet.

7. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

I'm really sort of surprised the conversation in this thread isn't vastly more active. It seems to be moving along at a rather slow pace given the huge success of the movie, overwhelmingly positive critical response from professional critics, internet critics, (just watch the reviews Spoony, Linkara and Doug Walker gave it) as well as audiences.

8. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

What's there to discuss? I feel like we've discussed most things in the 52 pages.

I had one moment where I laughed out loud and no one else did (as opposed to the plenty of moments where everyone laughed). It was when Natalia Romanova told everyone to get in side and they all thought it was a submarine. Banner starts talking about how bad an idea this was. Then when it was revealed that it was the helicarrier he goes "oh this is much worse." I just thought the delivery of that line was perfect. It's the reason I think Ruaffalo was perfectly cast (although I like how Ed Norton was scrawnier, which helps really emphasize the difference between the two).

9. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

There's a WGA arbitration process that works pretty well in situations like this. Penn could have filed and would have received more credit if it were determined that the work entitled him to it.

In fact it's possible that his story credit is itself the result of such an arbitration.

10. Avalon

Avalon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yeah, I cracked up at that (but so did a few other people) -- I think it's the little smile, if I remember right. :lol: I did have a moment or two of being the only one reacting but I can't remember what they were right now.

11. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

I was thinking the same thing. But then again, the movie was just released, plus, The Dark Knight thread only got about 1000 posts.

12. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Heh, yeah, that was a great moment. I really enjoyed Ruffalo's take on Banner. I'm surprised Rogers didn't comment on how he was in a giant flying aircraft carrier. (Or maybe he did, and I just forgot it.) He actually didn't have as much trouble with modern technology as I was expecting, aside from that one amusing line where he pulls out the complicated-looking panel and goes "It seems to run on some form of electricity!"

13. trekkiebaggio

trekkiebaggio Vice Admiral Admiral

^Similarly, I liked when Stark and Banner engaged in technobabble and Stark said "finally, someone who speaks English".

14. Skywalker

"Is that what that was?" :lol:

15. Trekker4747

Rogers, "sort-of" makes a "comment" on modern technology. Fury "bets" Rogers he hasn't seen everything when he gives him the mission dossier. On the bridge after the Helicarrier achieves flight (and is cloaked) Rogers walks by Fury and subtly hands him a $10 bill. (Also looked to be a vintage $10 bill, too.)

Yeah the technobabble between Stark and Rogers was great, loved how the two played off one another. I also liked when Stark says to Banner of Rogers, "That's the guy my dad never shut-up about?"

I also liked when Stark was trying to explain throttling down the engine to Banner and he just cuts him off and asks him to speak English. Stark just sort of goes: :rolleyes: "See that red lever?"

I say again, I really think only Whedon could have balanced these very different personalities and made them work together.

During the hero pissing contest before the engine is blown up Rogers keeps telling Tony "to put on the suit" so they can throw down. The arrow blows up and then Rogers in a more panicky way says: "Put on the suit!"

16. Agent Richard07

Lots of Whedonisms afterall.

17. Trekker4747

I'd say there was a lot of Whedonisms in it but it wasn't beat-you-over-the-head with them. Coulson's "not so much" still makes me giggle.

18. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Now while they clearly demonstrate opposite personalities their antagonistic feelings were being pumped up, as were all in the room, by Loki's glow stick of doom which was pulsating.

19. Skywalker

Oh, yeah! I knew I'd forgotten something.

20. Agent Richard07

^ I thought it was a 5.