TV version of Wrath of Khan available?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by gastrof, Aug 27, 2011.

1. RyanKCR

RyanKCR Vice Admiral Admiral

There also was an alternate take of the Genesis team discussion in the ABC version that I prefered.

2. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Isn't the version in the DE an alternate take, too?

3. Grant

Grant Commodore Commodore

Yes, absolutely.

The take from the ABC version is longer has different camera movement and has a few more lines of dialogue at the end and was the one they used for the Director's Cut

4. darth_ender

darth_ender Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I don't know if any mention of torrents is against the rules or not. Since this version was shown on TV, it doesn't seem like there would be a problem, since copying movies from TV is legal. Too bad all the torrents of this I can find are down. I really am bummed that I can't get it anywhere :( I love alternate versions of my favorite movies. I'm really digging the deleted scene thread.

5. darth_ender

darth_ender Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Well, I now do know how to get this. PM me if you are interested, and I can help.

6. Leto_II

Leto_II Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Although, to be sure, the theatrical version wasn't really chosen for the current Blu-Ray release because it's necessarily "superior" to the Director's Cut in any fashion (or "worse," either, for that matter).

It's more that the release represents the time-dishonored tradition of the studios putting out near-barebones versions of theatrical editions, followed later by "deluxe" Director's Cut (or multiple-cut) releases down the road.

It's simply Paramount giving itself "multiple bites at the apple," as it were, and is the exact same strategy that they used back in 1998-99 for the initial, barebones DVD releases.

7. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

Well, yes - I didn't state otherwise.

8. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Although it's also worth noting that these movies were first released on Blu Ray nearly five years ago, and the exact same discs have now been re-released multiple times since, without even the slightest hint that Paramount is in any way interested in revisiting any of them for "deluxe" editions.

I honestly don't think it'll happen either. Not on Blu Ray anyway. I reckon the next time they do revisit these movies it will only be for NetFlix or some other online distribution medium. The days where optical media are still profitable will not, I think, continue for very much longer. At least not long enough for Paramount to consider taking that "second bite of the apple".

9. A beaker full of death

A beaker full of death Vice Admiral Admiral

The TV version has that wonderful extended argument between McCoy and Spock. I videotaped it many years ago, then made my own version where I "spliced" in those scenes into a widescreen copy.

10. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

^^
    Isn't that same extended scene also in the Director's Edition?

11. CaptainBearclaw

CaptainBearclaw Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Yes, it is. Most of it is, save for a COUPLE of alternate takes.

12. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Yep, most of the ABC-TV version extras are in the Director's Edition. The most curious alternate take not used in the DE is the Saavik/Kirk elevator scene. A series of closeups of Saavik and Kirk, with the actors adding some glances and reactions that appear to indicate they are attracted to each other.

13. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

I believe it's because that take was very specifically framed for a 4:3 aspect ratio, and would look weird as heck in a widescreen presentation.

14. Oso Blanco

Oso Blanco Commodore Commodore

Exactly!

15. DamnDirtyApe

DamnDirtyApe Cadet Newbie

The additional line of computer dialog in the Kobayashi Maru scene is on YouTube. Check it out here:

http://youtu.be/HYN_Pk1qi-w

This, the alternate elevator scene, and the edited-out Ceti Eel close-ups (both going in & coming out of Chekov's ear) are the only three differences between the Director's Edition and the ABC-TV cut, not counting the aspect ratio.

--DDA

16. Ssosmcin

Ssosmcin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

17. Grant

Well actually they cut the "god" out of McCoy's "....God-damn computer console."

18. Grant

Actually that's only about 5% of what was cut from the final bridge scene. it had to be heavily edited to avoid spoiling the fact that David was Kirk's son. Also they cut out Saavik's --"So YOU turn out to be the dumb bastard." ---which was a callback to another cut scene which would have made no sense out of context.

Really that portion was only shown to let the audience know there were some young new characters in the movie.

Here's the entire cut portion...........

247 INT. ENTERPRISE BRIDGE 247

The door whooshes. Kirk strides on the bridge, David
    with him. Carol is there with Bones; they are glad at
    what they see.

SAAVIK
    Admiral on the bridge!

KIRK
    As you were, Mr. Saavik.

SAAVIK
    Aye, sir. On course to Ceti Alpha.
    All is well.

KIRK
    Good, I believe you already know
    my, uh, son --

Saavik comes close to blushing --

KIRK
    (continuing)
    Yes, well, why don't you show him
    around and...

SAAVIK
    Aye, sir --

She takes him off, deadpan amusement --

SAAVIK
    (continuing)
    So you turn out to be the dumb
    bastard.

They stare at her.

SAAVIK
    (continuing)
    That is a little joke.

Kirk has a smile. He joins Bones and Carol facing the
    screen.

BONES
    She's changed her hair again.
    (pause)
    Will you look at that? Think
    they'll name it for you, Doctor?

CAROL
    Not if I can help it. We'll name
    it for our friend.

At that point McCoy's says..........

"He's really not dead..."

19. EnriqueH

EnriqueH Commodore Commodore

Ahhh, the ABC cut.

I have it on tape.

Not a perfect copy because we edited commericals out, so the pause button playback was slightly delayed a couple of times, but I still have that baby.

It's the version of the film that I grew up on (just like ABC's extended copy of Superman II), so the "Close Up" version of the Kirk-Saavik-turbolift scene is what I was used to.

Honestly, I always preferred the close up because when I finally saw the theatrical version, I thought it sounded like Shatner-Alley were rushing their lines.

I always preferred the ABC cut's version of Dr. Carol Marcus' angry, "I *WILL NOT* subscribe to your interpretation of this event!!!"

The other thing i remember was Kirk and Spock climbing the ladder after the Genesis cave beam up and Kirk saying, "That young man is my son!" to which Spock replies, "Fascinating."

I always that it was a charming little piece of character interaction.

By the way, about that Kirk-Saavik closeup making it seem like they were attracted to each other...I grew up thinking Saavik was having an effect on Kirk that made him a little nervous. Could be because Kirk was "older", but I'd never really seen Kirk nervous around a beautiful woman before. Was he really nervous? What do you guys think?

Growing up, when Kirk and Bones first walk onto the bridge of the Enterprise, it seems like Bones is checking out Saavik, and when Bones offers Kirk a tranquilizer, I used to think that it was because Kirk was ALSO attracted to Saavik and that they were having a "guy moment" checking out the babes. But now I realize it's probably because Kirk is dying to get in the captain's chair.

20. Ssosmcin

Ssosmcin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It was about Kirk's nervousness over Saavik never having piloted a starship out of spacedock and Spock gave her the center seat.

Which never quite made sense since Sulu was actually the guy flying, so no matter what, it's not like they were gonna slam the ship through the garage doors or anything...