IDW Star Trek Ongoing...

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by serenitytrek1, Nov 21, 2012.

1. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Although I'm no fan of the "infinite universes" model, one could legitimately argue that even in a large but finite array of universes, there'd be a nonzero chance of finding two in which the same individuals existed. There could be a few thousand alternate versions of the Mirror Universe, and in most of the ones where Betazed and Andor were razed, the ancestors of Deanna and Shar might have been killed and they wouldn't exist; but we preferentially follow one in which they do exist, and in which most of the other Prime Universe characters do as well. Maybe that coincidental convergence of individuals is why a link was established between the two timelines allowing recurring interaction between them.

2. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's been argued that oversaturating the market led to Trek's downfall. I'll agree it was certainly a factor, and it's something Disney is going to face soon if they continue to release their Marvel movies to the pattern they are, and if they do go ahead with the one Star Wars movie per year. I'm not really a believer in quality over quantity, and indeed I have expressed frustrations over how long it takes Abrams and Bad Robot to make their movies, however there's something preferable to a new Trek movie every two or three years over a new movie or two every year.

3. Christopher

Well, Trek never had a "downfall," just a decline, as evidenced by how successfully it's rebounded. And I'm not sure anything can be said for certain about what factors caused that decline. Various people have their pet theories, but theories need repeatability to be verified, and that's difficult in TV/film when there are so many different variables in play at once. I find that a lot of conventional wisdom gets disproved sooner or later -- for instance, seven or eight years ago, most people assumed Trek would be moribund for another couple of decades, but it only took a few years to rebound after Enterprise ended.

4. borgboy

borgboy Commodore Commodore

The nice thing about doing three revolving movie serieses is that you would get three years between each TNG, three between each DS9 and three between each Voyager movie. So there would be a lot of variety in the characters, and each series should have it's own identity and themes, even in a shared universe.

5. Christopher

Really, although it would make sense to the studio to reboot the existing shows and go for the name recognition, I might prefer it if they came up with new spinoff series of their own. That might allow for more variety than just a bunch of starship series. I mean, the advantage of the Marvel Cinematic Universe is that its individual series are all so different. Iron Man is a high-tech thriller, Thor is epic fantasy, Captain America had a war movie and then a conspiracy/political thriller, the Hulk is a monster movie, Guardians of the Galaxy is space opera, and so forth. It doesn't all feel the same because it covers so many different genres.

I think we've managed to pull off something very like that in Trek Lit. Things like New Frontier, Vanguard, Articles of the Federation, and DTI are all very different in approach and tone, from each other and from the aired shows. If Paramount did go the shared-universe franchise route for big-screen Trek, it might be nice to see them develop a similar diversity.

Of course, DS9 did manage to be quite different from its contemporaries. And VGR could've been very different if it had been free to take full advantage of its "lost in the wilderness" format. But there could certainly be other possibilities not yet explored onscreen.

6. borgboy

I've had this idea of a space station based tv series as a companion to the reboot TOS movies. I wouldn't be opposed at all to new original spin offs from the reboot.

7. Daddy Todd

Daddy Todd Commodore Commodore

Anyone else notice that IDW has gone from 22 pages of story to 20? Did that just happen, or was it a few issues back and I just didn't notice?

8. Enterprise1701

Enterprise1701 Commodore Commodore

9. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

The ship in the top image is basically the Kelvin design with influences from the Vengeance. The second one looks suspiciously similar to the Constellation class.

10. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

That Kelvin-style one just became one of my favourite Trek designs. Love it.

11. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Looks kind of like a Zat gun with nacelles.

12. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

After seven-hundred plus episode and ten movies, I like getting a film every three or four years. It makes Trek feel special again.

13. borgboy

One movie a year to me still feels like a long wait. Trek always felt special to me, even when we had a couple of shows on at the same time.
    I get excited every time a new Trek book comes out.
    I am very easily pleased apparently. I really enjoy things to their fullest as much as I possibly can.

14. Trek Survivor

Trek Survivor Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Not sure, but "Flesh & stone" is also only 20 pages long!!

What's going on, IDW? DC has some 20-paged books but they are cheaper. It might only be 2 story pages, but it's a bitter pill to take.

15. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Haven't DC and Marvel always been cheaper than the smaller publishers, just due to higher circulation figures alone?

16. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

Not really. All the publishers have comics at both $2.99 and $3.99.

17. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

Heck, $2.99 comics are almost on the endangered species list these days, although DC has many more of them than Marvel does.

18. xavier

xavier Commander

I prefer IDW COMICS TO DC AND MARVEL.

I only collect DC and marvel comics as graphic novels and not as a single comics. i hate all the adverts they put at the sides. it is very distracting.

IDW comics looks more mature than DC and marvel comics because it has none of those silly adverts on every page of the book.

19. Joel_Kirk

Joel_Kirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In the Joel Zone, identifying as Sexually Fluid.
    So, I was able to read my #29 and 30. It was interesting reading that Jane Kirk has dealt with sexism, even in the 23rd Century. (Other media has shown that other -isms are still alive and well in the 23rd, and even 24th Century). Also, it seems that Jane Kirk is a little more 'by the book' than her male counterpart and is also described as a 'heartbreaker' - more guarded? - while her male counterpart is more overt in his romance or non-romantic encounters with the opposite sex. Even the female Scotty is a little less 'dainty' than the male counterpart thinks. (I like the way the female Scotty says "I'll not have any stereotypin'"). However, the female Spock seems very similar to her male counterpart. On the other hand, female Spock seems very similar to her male counterpart as shown in one scene where Spock/Uhuro meet Spock/Uhura.

Still, I would like to see more of these characters.

For #35, I found it interesting that Sisko is on the cover - for the copy I bought - and DS9 doesn't appear until the last page! lol (It's a tease and left me wanting to read the next issue). I'm actually going to hold off buying it for now since the shipping price is about the same for a new comic (for better shipping and handling) and I'd rather wait to put that amount towards a few more comics....like #37 which is also due soon.

20. xavier

xavier Commander