Neal Adams' Batman Odyssey

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by the G-man, Apr 28, 2012.

1. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Finally over. Man, was that crap. Terrible story, campy dialogue and he can't draw like he used to:

• Alright, so Batman kills Sensei in front of everybody and then threatens that if anyone over steps out of line again–they get the gun. But wait, that’s not entirely true. Cut to two weeks later and we learn that Batman and Sensei made a deal for some reason and Senseit got to fake his death in exchange for a vile of green potion (lazarus?) that when ingested would transform him into…A BABY. Batman takes Baby Sensei to an adoption agency has bestows them upon the proud Asian parents David and China Woo (Yes, the Asian woman’s name is “China Woo”)

And that’s it. Batman ends the story there and Superman (who is the guy Batman has been telling the tale to this whole time) flies off doing the “swoosh thing” (Dick and Bruce’s term for it, not mine. Seriously.). The final two pages of a story titled “Batman Odyssey” are all about how brilliant and incredibly cool Superman is and the very final shot is of Superman triumphantly flying off the page.

Read more: http://batman-news.com/2012/04/18/batman-odyssey-vol-2-issue-7-review/#ixzz1tMf4Gk00

I only kept getting it because I felt bad for the guy who runs my local comics shop. My pull list is so sparse now I didn't have the heart to cancel this book.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2012
  2. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Neal Adams is nuts as in fucking insane. He really thinks the world is actually expanding.

Avoid anything written by him like the plague.

3. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I dropped it after the second issue of the first volume. It was bad.

4. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I dropped it after the 1st issue--which, upon reflection, I don't even think I finished reading.

5. the G-man

It was about one "I'm the goddam Batman" away from making ASB&R look like 'the Dark Knight Returns.'

6. Admiral_Young

^ Pretty much...I'm surprised DC decided to include as part of the New 52 relaunch. I believe the second volume got a number one issue, I could be wrong about that.

7. the G-man

I don't think it was part of the new 52. I think the new number 1 was just a sad attempt to hype up a failed project by a faded legend.

8. Admiral_Young

^ That's possible as well.