do you have synethesia?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Temis the Vorta, Feb 20, 2012.

?

are you a synesthete?

1. yes

15.2%
  2. no

87.9%
  3. I have amnesia, does that count?

3.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Nerys Ghemor

Nerys Ghemor Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't think it's fair to assume that everyone who votes "yes" is doing so improperly. I also don't think it's right for anyone to make an assumption based on what right now is currently a very small sample size compared to the overall population of the TrekBBS. That is statistically VERY shaky. I'd wait until the poll has run longer before drawing a conclusion.

2. PKTrekGirl

PKTrekGirl Arrogant Niner Thug Admiral

I have very specific mental images around numbers. Some numbers have colors, but all numbers up to about 30 have their own mental images. Some of these images made sense, some do not.

Twelve, to me, is represented by an egg carton - that one makes sense.

Eight is represented by a mental photograph of people playing cards. Which I don't even like to do, so I have no idea where that comes from.

Eleven is represented by the face of a digital watch that reads "11:11". Sixteen is somehow represented by a mental photo of scrambled eggs. Five is a mental photo of spokes on the wheel of a bicycle. And Nine is represented by a mental photo of a greasy mechanics shop.

I have absolutely no idea where any of these imaged came from...but they have been attached to those numbers for me since childhood. I have often wondered if any of this makes me nuts. Perhaps so.

Letters used to have images attached as well...but I think typing sort or removed that. Now letters have more to do with the movement my fingers have to make to hit that key. Q, for example, is associated with my left pinky finger and sort of reaching my wrist around sideways to get to the Q button on a keyboard. So Q is a typing movement now...not a mental image.

3. Balrog

Balrog Commodore Commodore

Yep, my bad. I was just having breakfast... and I had soup for lunch...

4. Nerys Ghemor

Nerys Ghemor Vice Admiral Admiral

I also just noticed one person voted both "yes" and "no." Also a skew from that, albeit not a giant one.

5. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah I did. You even quoted it.

6. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

Ironically, I'm watching an animated action series right now in which the title character has synethesia.

As for myself, I'd say no, but I do recall as a kid thinking that certain words looked "different" or "stronger" than others. Can't explain how, but it was something I paid attention to in my reading and writing classes in elementary school and probably helped me get "A"s. As I grew older, though, words all started looking the same after awhile.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2012
  7. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

I've had moments in the past where I saw black letters with a hint of color. I also woke up one morning to find that colors were more vivid and the light streaming through the window was a rainbow of colors. I wondered if this was due to the sleeping pill I took.

8. trekkiedane

trekkiedane Admiral Admiral

:guffaw: right! -I guess I just was too tired to actually do the math :guffaw: