USS Grandeur - One... More... Time!

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Vektor, Mar 21, 2006.

1. lennier1

lennier1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Impressive!
    Deks had more than that on a single nacelle on his old NX-01! ;)

2. CaptainRoop

CaptainRoop Lieutenant Red Shirt

Nice guess our Chief Graphic Artist/Grandeur Project Manager/XO liked the band YES and since that number was on one of their albums we went with that. The number has been there since the beginning.

When all of this started we were part of a large ST fan organization the IFT. In real time it stood for International Federation of Trekkers. The fictional side if you will stood for Intergalatic Federation Taskforce.
    In that scenerio IFT ships were in a off sense sactioned by Starfleet but not necessarily commissioned by Starfleet sort of a separate branch of Starfleet thus the NFC, Non-Fleet Commissioned. We have come along way since then, but many things stuck with us.

Last edited: May 8, 2015
  3. Klaus

Klaus Vice Admiral Admiral

It was Yes' most commercial [and thus biggest-selling] album... I have it on vinyl and CD and saw the tour lol. The title '90125' is the record company's catalog number for it as they apparently couldn't think of one. :lol:

4. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Wait, is that the Trevor Rabin album? The one that YES just happened to play on?

5. CaptainRoop

CaptainRoop Lieutenant Red Shirt

Thank you for the insight on the YES album and I guess some triva there as well. :cool:

6. Klaus

Klaus Vice Admiral Admiral

No that one was, appropriately enough, called Drama :lol:... Rabin produced 90125 but had left the band after the one album.

7. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

Hey, @Vektor , are you still working on this?

BillJ likes this.
  8. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Dammit. You made me think there was an update by bumping the thread. Thanks for getting my hopes up.

9. Savage Dragon

Sorry. I knew I would dash some hopes but I am really hoping Vektor has some updates for us.

10. BK613

BK613 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Agree with sojourner. If there were a dislike button....:lol:

11. Vektor

Vektor Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I am, indeed, still working on this. The 3D model has not progressed much since the last set of WIP images but I've done quite a bit on some related side projects that I'm hoping I can reveal some time fairly soon.

Stay tuned.

12. Vektor

Okay, this probably isn't the update you were all expecting but I have a feeling it will generate some interest regardless.

A while back, Darren Sexton, a.k.a. the citizen, asked me to do up some illustrations of some Avalon class sister ships for various Grandeur related literary projects he has going. These were to be variants of the Grandeur design with standard Starfleet commissions and various individual backstories.

The first of these was the U.S.S. Merlin, an Avalon class upgrade that was stolen out of drydock three days before its refit was completed and presumed lost. Years later it was discovered that Section 31 absconded with the Merlin and rechristened it the U.S.S. LaFay, NCC-90666. They heavily modified it with advanced technology, some of unknown alien origin, such as signal dampening fields, Borg-like cutting beams, a cloaking device, and a crew consisting almost entirely of holograms.

[​IMG]

This is the first of three Avalon variants that I'll be posting over the next few days, and I should be back to some Grandeur updates around the first of the month.

JES likes this.
  13. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I think it odd that Section 31 would put the name and registry on the ship.

14. BK613

BK613 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

nice. there are not enough of these :techman: to express the wow

15. Savage Dragon

Nice! I can't wait to see more. I bet you guys aren't sorry I bumped the thread now, are you? :D

16. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

Thanks! I love this ship more and more.

17. MadMan1701A

MadMan1701A Commodore Premium Member

Man, I love the red. We need more of that on Federation ships. :)

-Ricky

18. Vektor

There's a lot of shape and color language here intended to convey an "evil" overtone, much like the red-tinged running lights on Reliant in Wrath of Khan.

One of the things you'll see more of in the next couple images I post is a much bolder than usual color scheme that serves a similar function to the different uniform colors worn by the crew as a visual representation of which division or mission profile each ship belongs to. It came about somewhat by accident as Darren and I were working through the design variants and Darren ran with it in some pretty cool ways.

19. Bernard Guignard

Bernard Guignard Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

20. Cobalt Frost

Cobalt Frost Captain Captain

Cobalt Frost in Phineas & Ferb's backyard
    That is dead sexy.