Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Obiwanshinobi, Jan 30, 2011.

1. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

I was hoping for Brainiac, but Zod works. Not counting a cameo in the first Chris Reeve movie, he's only really been seen in one movie before.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2011
  2. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Admiral Admiral

3. Nowhere Man

Nowhere Man Commodore

I hope they still work Braniac in, it's his time. I bet Nolan will go with multiple villians.

4. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!
    Since neither of those things is true, are you trying to say that this movie is looking better by the day?

5. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

Are you suggesting that this will be a Superman IV-redux!!!1!!

6. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

If memory serves, I first posted the rumour that Shannon was up for a villainous role in this movie, but I'm coming to the post-confirmation debate quite late.

I'm not dying on the idea of Zod as a villain here, for reasons that have already been stated, but I do like this choice of actor. When I heard about him landing the role, I was in fact watching the finale of Boardwalk Empire, in which he's been brilliant. Other than being a fine actor and a commanding physical presence, he has little in common with Terence Stamp, so this should not be a rehash of Superman II. This Zod should be as different from Terence's iconic portrayal as Heath Ledger's Joker was from Nicholson's (though I would say there's a more compelling argument for returning to the Joker than there is for re-using Zod. Anyway).

I note also the use of The Man of Steel, a title which has been kicking around since Singer's mooted sequel to Returns (which was also rumoured to use Zod at one stage). Looks like they're keeping an eye on the success of The Dark Knight and want to go for the same vibe.

Finally, I thought it interesting that the three biggest casting announcements to date for this movie - Superman, Lois and Zod - all came on a Sunday.

7. The Super Brando

The Super Brando Commander Red Shirt

Just to be clear, according to the press release this movie is titled "Man of Steel". It's not titled "Superman: Man of Steel" or "The Man of Steel".

8. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

So with Zod as the villian this movie will be a remake of the second about as much as the last movie was a remake of the first.

9. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Wasn't the last one a sequel to the 2nd?

10. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

No.

11. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

Unknown to whom? People who don't pay attention to the entertainment industry? Shannon was nominated for a Best Supporting Actor Oscar two years ago and is on a highly critically acclaimed HBO series now. Not to mention he's been in several either high grossing or critically acclaimed films. He wouldn't have been my first, second, or tenth choice for the role of Zod (which doesn't mean he'll be bad at it, just that he isn't who I would picture as Zod), but he's hardly an unknown to anyone who even moderately keeps up with the industry.

I know beauty is subjective and all that, but I think you've got to get your eyes checked if you think Amy Adams is ugly. She's gorgeous and has a great personality for the role of Lois.

12. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, just like The Dark Knight was a remake of Batman 1989.

It was like a James Bond movie going from one actor to the other, playing fast and loose with continuity. It acknowledged some stuff happened in Superman I and II, and ignored other stuff.

13. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ Pretty much. Which is where Bryan's infamous (at least to me, since I make fun of the line so much) vague continuity comes from. Basically "Superman Returns" was an original story that was mixed into one big homage to the Donner films. The fact that Singer pitched it to Laura and looked for Richard's blessing to make it before he actually did, confirms to me that this was his intention.

I believe that Snyder/Nolan and Goyer are using the modern comics as source material and wouldn't be surprised if Geoff Johns recent Superman run was also at least read.

14. Bad Bishop

Bad Bishop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Re: Zod

I think it's GREAT. Now all we need is Lex Luthor trying to become Zod's agent on Earth. I can see it now... Lex will approach Zod by first waving a white hanky.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2011
  15. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Missing the boat by not using Brainiac

16. Admiral_Young

^ Sigh. Casting is not finished yet.

17. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

@Bad Bishop

There are others in this thread who said they have no problem with Zod also.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2011
  18. Bad Bishop

Bad Bishop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

OK, I've deleted your quote. Still, it's hard to believe that so many folks are OK with borrowing a concept from a previous Superman film.

19. Admiral_Young

^ Why wouldn't they be? It's called reinventing and depicting things differently. Nolan's Batman films did this. I think "Man of Steel" will do the same as well. I think it's a narrow minded viewpoint for a fan to have that something will be the same just because it was used previously.

20. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

@Bad Bishop
    I changed my post. ;) I don't think they are remaking anything here they are going to use the character in an original way...I hope.