Rumor-- Unaltered Star Wars OT coming on Blu-Ray?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Turtletrekker, Aug 16, 2014.

1. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Last edited: Aug 16, 2014
  2. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

I seriously doubt it. Lucas had made it very clear over the years that he considers the new versions to be the "true" versions, and I can't see Disney or Kathleen Kennedy wanting to step on his toes and disrespect his wishes to such a huge degree. And I imagine they're going to be more than busy enough with the new sequel trilogy and spinoffs as it is.

Besides, it's doubtful any unaltered cut would be completely faithful to the original theatrical version anyway (at least judging from how much they've screwed up the color timing over the years). Fan edits out there like the awesome "Despecialized Editions" probably get a lot closer than any official release would.

3. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

FOX owns distribution rights to Star Wars in perpetuity, and also The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi until 2020. That's the biggest hurdle to any new release of the original trilogy, to say nothing of an unaltered version.

4. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

I have my doubts that this is true.

I'd love for it to happen though. I've never actually seen them. :o

5. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Not even in the theater when they were first released?

6. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

I wasn't alive then. (Well. I was two when Jedi came out.) And I didn't get into Star Wars until I was in high school when the remasters where in theatres right before the PT started.

7. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

If it is true, it looks like they may be restoring and remastering them too.

Which is good. They desperately need it if they're going to put them on bluray.

Probably upset the 'purists' though...

8. Nightowl1701

Nightowl1701 Commodore Commodore

Oh, Disney'll just put a disclaimer in the box or on the disc or something. At any rate, they need to win over the fans quick (esp. after nuking the entire Expanded Universe, and rendering all those decades of merchandise instantly worthless) if this new Trilogy's going to succeed, and that's the most surefire way to do it. Even Lucas must know that.

Oh, I don't doubt some LFL spy has been watching the fan efforts at restoration for quite some time now. If Doctor Who can get its new title sequence from a fan's effort, there's no reason Disney can't swoop in and give Harmy (maker of the Despecialized Editions) an offer he can't refuse.

Easy to solve. Go to Fox and say "Let us do this, and you can co-distribute the Sequel Trilogy in theaters with us." Everybody wins. After all, is it REALLY gonna be Star Wars without that Fox logo and fanfare at the beginning?

9. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

I'm sorry, but this is silly. Those that read the books are like .000001 % of the movie going public. Most of the movie going public probably has no idea that there were books and that they have been decanonized. In other words, Disney doesn't need to appease the fans that are "upset" from the "nuking" of the EU.

Let's be honest, Disney already won over those fans and most who didn't care about the novels just by getting Ford in the movie.

At this point, the question isn't whether or not the new Trilogy will succeed, but by how much.

As far as the rumor of the movie release, yeah, I don't buy it. I would like to be surprised, but unless a deal is made with FOX, Disney can't release them. For Disney execs, it would be a question, how much do we really want to give FOX? (And no, Disney isn't going to go halfsie's in on the new trilogy, you don't spend billions to give a part of it away to a rival.)

10. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Well, think of it this way.

Of course Disney won't give Fox ANY of the new trilogy, but they've got a simple choice regarding the original trilogy. Either give Fox a percentage of the release of the unadulterated versions, or just don't release them.

Which of those options makes money for Disney ?

11. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Okie dokie.

12. Professor Zoom

No. But, then, they also have a fresh batch of movies coming down the line, a new trilogy, with a bunch of one offs. A cartoon. Merchandising. They are adding to their theme parks.

Those are going to make quite a bit of money.

And, I wonder, if FOX chose to release them... wouldn't some money go to LucasFilm, ergo, Disney?

13. Nightowl1701

Nightowl1701 Commodore Commodore

That .000001% being the most knowledgeable and dedicated of the franchise's fans over the decades, who were excitedly posting about ROTJ back when the Internet was, not even in its infancy, but embryonic. And remember, you've got to throw in not just the novel readers, but the comic readers, the RPG and video game players, the cosplayers, the toy collectors. And thanks to the EU's efforts at making it all fit, there was a LOT of crossover between those media demographics. Alienate those fans at your own risk.

And what/when was the last blockbuster hit movie Harrison Ford was in again...?

I, for one, wouldn't be too sure of that. Most of the moviegoing public may be only vaguely aware of The Clone Wars too (they certainly didn't go to the movie theatres for its pilot) and thus don't know of the salvage job that show did on the Prequel Trilogy. So, using your logic, the last most people know of Star Wars is Revenge of the Sith - and the Blu-Ray that saw Darth Vader's most infamous line from that movie attached to the pivotal moment of ROTJ. Yeahhhh. Nowhere to go but up from there, right?

Who said anything about halfsies? Disney's fully bankrolling the making of the three movies themselves. All Fox has to do is pick up the cost of distributing and promoting the movies (esp. overseas). Yeah, Disney could do it all themselves if they wanted - but let's face it, their marketing track record with any big-budget movie that isn't Marvel, Pixar or animated (Prince of Persia, The Sorcerer's Apprentice, The Chronicles of Narnia, TRON Legacy, John Carter, The Lone Ranger) hasn't been too great this last decade. And given LFL's last three films have been Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, the aforementioned Clone Wars pilot and Red Tails, well...a little insurance wouldn't go amiss.

14. Professor Zoom

The number of those fans are a drop in the bucket. They really are. Studios aren't interested in a tiny number of fans--regardless of how rapid they might seem. They want as many butts in the seats.

And those fans, they aren't going to influence the vast majority of people.

In other words, they can still alienate those fans and still be just fine when it comes to the box office. Besides, even those alienated fans are still going to watch it at least once in the theater, just so they can tell their friends how much Disney raped their childhood.

Well, I think it would be more fair to compare it to him returning to a franchise. So.... Crystal Skull in 2008 pulled in over 700 million dollars world wide. Not to shabby, actually. In fact it did better than Captain America: Winter Soldier

But, then, are you suddenly arguing that these rabid Star Wars fans DON'T want Harrison Ford in a movie? Or that they don't care he's returning to his iconic role? You can't have it both ways.

Regardless of quality, the Star Wars prequels crushed at the box office. If the Star Wars brand could survive Episode I and II, and still allow Episode III to be a success...

And we agree, I don't think most people are aware of the Clone Wars cartoon. Like the comics, the books, cosplayers, etc.

The live action brand, I think is pretty safe. You have Ford, Hamill, and Fisher reprising their roles, you have a successful director with Abrams... They are going to have a very successful opening. Regardless of quality.

15. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

Do you honestly believe that Disney, who has spent billions for the rights to Star Wars, will respect anything when it comes to business decisions?

If Hollywood is one thing it's a business and they will do anything to make a dollar so respecting someone's work is of no concern to them.

In addition a well made Blu Ray with cleaned up picture and sound, converted to HD (basically make the picture as good as possible) will probably be the best sold Blu Ray box of all time. There are multiple generations out there including mine (im going to be 39 soon) who love the original theatrical versions and have actually seen them before Lucas began tampering with them in the 90s. They, including me, will blindly pre-order them once it's possible to do so no matter the price.

I'm also very positive that Disney will do that once all legal things have been resolved. To me it's a no brainer and will make back the money it will cost to make it so fast not even the Falcon will be able to catch it :p

Oh.. and i don't believe it will be held up by the production of the new movies at all, these would be two totally separate productions with separate teams (the only thing i can see would be a special with the original actors today talking about Star Wars, Ford could do this too even with his broken foot currently).

16. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

I believe the rumor. A company that does film restoration recently put up a promo reel for their work and it contains SW shots that seem to have their original color-timing rather than the "questionable" version on the current Blu-rays.

https://vimeo.com/95919913

Not to mention that True Lies and The Abyss (both Fox properties like SW) also feature on the reel, neither of which have Blu-ray releases yet but are rumored to be out "soon".

17. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

^Huh, interesting. Those are definitely some pre-SE X-Wing shots they have in there.

18. Professor Zoom

Raiders is on that too. The Blu Ray is out... trying to find out if they worked on it.

If, indeed they are working on Star Wars, this is a pretty shitty way of hiding it.

19. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

They did. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lowry_Digital

They also did the previous I-III Star Wars releases, but I those were flawed from the start by Lucasfilm's use of the special editions as a base.

20. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    That's too bad. I saw them in their original theatrical releases, and have the original commercial VHS versions before Lucas started "improving" them.