So What Are you Reading?: Generations

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by captcalhoun, Dec 22, 2011.

1. John Clark

John Clark Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I;m currently reading Seekers 4 myself. After that, it's probably Arisen 9 and 10.

2. Kertrats47

Kertrats47 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

3. C. Cole-Chakotay

C. Cole-Chakotay Commodore Commodore

I'm reading the Maximum Ride series.

4. Killie

Killie Lieutenant Red Shirt

So I have read and reviewed The Folded World by Jeff Mariotte which you find here.

I have to admit, the book looks great but the story ended up being pretty average to be honest.

5. Kilana2

Kilana2 Vice Admiral Admiral

I liked this novel. It wasn't the best I've ever read, but decent.

6. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I just finished reading The autobiography of James T. Kirk by David A.Goodman I really liked this book a lot . I'm now readimg a collection of Science fiction short stories from the 1940s some of the stories have been really good.:techman:

7. ronny

ronny Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Finally picked up the the Deep Space Nine Companion. I've only read through a handful of episodes, the tribble episode and some others with Garak and I'm already in love with this book. I also looked up a couple episodes that aren't good and the producers didn't sugar coat it, they didn't like them either. Made me like the book even more. Are the other companion books the same quality? I've heard the Voyager creators didn't give the same access the DS9 crew gave.

8. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

The DS9 book is the best and most in-depth of them. The TNG one has a certain amount of behind-the-scenes discussion, but nowhere near as in-depth as the DS9C has. And the VGR one has essentially none at all.

9. ronny

OK, thanks. Looks like I'll be sticking with just the DS9 one.

10. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Perhaps the best comparison to the DS9C is The Making of Star Trek by Stephen E. Whitfield and Gene Roddenberry. Whitfield (a pseudonym for Stephen Edward Poe) was given the same kind of behind-the-scenes access that Block and Erdmann had on DS9, and TMOST is a marvelously in-depth book on the creative and production process of the original series, though it doesn't use the episode-guide format of the Companions (for that, the best work would be The Star Trek Compendium by Allan Asherman -- ideally the first edition, since the revised editions oddly cut out some of the information that was in the original). Poe also did A Vision of the Future: Star Trek: Voyager, a TMOST-like book about the production of VGR, though it only covers the first couple of seasons.

11. Cap'n Crunch

Cap'n Crunch Captain Captain

I finished Star Trek: Voyager: Atonement by Kirsten Beyer.

I then read Tomb Raider: Season of the Witch, a comic that picks up after the 2013 game.
    I thought it was a little unnecessary to have the characters go back to Yamatai so soon, if ever. I also thought the people wearing suits who worshipped the Solarii made no sense. Why would a group of seemingly wealthy people living in modern society worship a group of murderous crazed castaway scavengers? Also the title doesn't have anything to do with the story; there was no witch that I noticed.
    The art, however, was excellent throughout.

I'm currently reading Leviathan Wakes, the first book in The Expanse, by James S.A. Corey.

12. Kilana2

I'm about to start with The Fall 2 - The Crimson Shadow

13. Kertrats47

Kertrats47 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just posted my review of Seekers #4: All That's Left by Ward/Dilmore. Rather enjoyed it!

Currently reading The Q Continuum, Book 2: Q-Zone by Greg Cox.

My favorite of The Fall series, and the best Trek book of 2013 (in my opinion).

14. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

Truth.

15. Kilana2

The Fall 1 wasn't bad either. I just want to read all of the The Fall novels until I can say which one was the best...;)

16. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

While in hospital I rad Brian Blessed's Absolute Pandemonium, which is was good fun and frequently fascinating, and Clive Cssler and Grant Blackwood's The Kingdom, which was also good escapist fun (and continues with the theme that Cussler's cowriters know better than to switch viewpoints within a scene the way he himself does when writing on his own).

17. Killie

Killie Lieutenant Red Shirt

I have read Crisis of Consciousness by Dave Galanter and it was one of the best TOS novels I have read so far.

My review can be found on my blog here.

18. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Last week I started Leviathan Wakes, the first book in The Expanse series, in preparation for Syfy's TV adaptation starting next month.

19. ronny

I read that a couple months back and I loved it. One of my favorites of the year. I've started the second book in the series, Caliban's War, and I'm liking that a lot as well. I'm really looking forward to the series.

20. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm rereading Star trek Tng 20th anniversary collection of short stories again. I really like them and seeing Data appear in some of the stories is great to see appear in stories that take place during the tv series . I hope some day we'll see another book with Data having his own adventures again someday:).