Will you be able to resist boot legged copies of STID?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by DarthTom, Apr 29, 2013.

1. DarthTom

DarthTom Fleet Admiral Admiral

One thing of interest I noticed since more studios are now electing to release films internationally first instead of the US - is the boot legged copies are showing up at the ususal places before even a US release.

Over the weekend I rode the train to an event in Atlanta and already the guys hawking shit on the train were hawking Iron Man 3 which just opened up internationally over the weekend. Amazing.

Will you be able to resist a boot legged copy of STID?

2. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's against the board rules to discuss this. You've been here long enough to know that.

3. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Yeah, I think so.

I'd rather my first experience with the film be on the big screen with awesome sound rather than a copy recorded on someone's cell phone/digital camera.

4. DarthTom

I honestly didn't know Dennis that even discussing the availability of boot legged copies was against board rules Isn't that akin to discussing whether or not pot is avail or not - despite the fact that smoking it in most states is illegal?

I'm not telling people where they can buy it - it's just a matter of life that these things exist.

But if so, a mod can close with my apologies.

5. bullethead

bullethead Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well, it's going to be a lot harder to resist as long as non-3D showings in my area are apparently restricted to one theater on the other side of town. I'm just hoping that it's a screw up by Fandango, but I'm getting worried as we get closer and closer to release in the US and there haven't been more listings added.

6. KirkusOveractus

KirkusOveractus Commodore Commodore

I think you'll see more 2D listings added as theatres start to clear their screens of movies currently in.

The 3D/IMAX 3D/IMAX screens are more specialized, so they would have things scheduled more ahead of time.

Plus, it starts the box office for higher dollars in advance sales with the more expensive tickets first, then start to sell the 2D ones.

But to the OT, I have no interest in a bootleg of the movie at all. This is something that needs to be seen on a large screen as much as possible (Trek and Bond movies for me are the ones I want to see on the big screen, and they're made for that), and then have the best picture and sound when it's time for the home release (plus you get some cool extras on a legitimate release!)

7. Scruggernaut

Scruggernaut Ensign Red Shirt

I don't see how anyone can watch bootleg copies of anything. I'd rather not see STID at all than see a cam recording of it. And I hope others feel the same. It's not even like a legal issue. It's a self-respect thing. Why anyone subject themselves to that piss-poor quality is beyond me.

With that said, my IMAX 3D tickets have been purchased since February so yes, I think I'll resist.

8. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Resisting is easy.
    I can't stand watching any movie in cam quality.

9. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

I'm not the least bit interested in obtaining bootleg copies of any movies, and STID will be no exception. I wouldn't have a clear idea in which "usual places" to go looking, anyway. Personally, I'm just fine with continuing not to know; speaking as moderator, I'm even more fine with none of those places being named or so much as hinted at here.

The topic of bootlegging itself is not strictly off-limits, as long as no means/sources/procedures/conduits/etc. are identified or alluded to. However, by posting the thread in this forum and making it specifically about the question of whether or not to bootleg this movie, you've placed it in kind of a tricky area.

I'll leave this open for now, but the moment discussion begins to go beyond answering the question of "will you (or won't you) be able to resist" will be the moment this thread gets closed. I don't even want to see that "PM me" thing going on.

10. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

When I was 14 I went to see a film a dozen times over the two or three months it was in cinemas - it was Star Wars. I've seen it several more times since !

I haven't got the time, money or inclination to do that these days, but I might go to see a film at the cinema, and if its something really special watch a bootleg copy whilst waiting for the bluray release.

Its unlikely, as I no longer have the contacts to get the discs, and anyway, you don't have to wait a year for the official release any more, but I don't see anything wrong with it. They'll get my money just the same...

11. Opus

Opus Commodore Commodore

Of course!**

** - no.

12. shapeshifter

shapeshifter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I will be able to resist.

The worst of the wait is behind us now, why settle for some crappy copy when we are just days away from films opening.

13. DarthTom

That's for the clarification. It just thought it was kind of a swtich that Iron Man wiould be avail even before a North American realease.

As an aside, anyone understand why movie studios are making major releases outside of North America as opposed to in the US first now as a marketing strategy?

Because this strategy will increase the boot legging of films here.

14. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The real big bootleg issue comes when the 1080p/720p blu-ray rips come out.
    These early low quality cam rips are not that popular I think. Especially now that we've gotten so used to big screen TVs and HD content everywhere.

15. DarthTom

'Agreed. Cam versions IMO aren't even worth the <blip> they want for the damn things.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2013
  16. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

Shortly after watching Star Trek Eleven, some of my friends and I got into a discussion about a particular scene. Accessing a pirate video (from a undisclosed source) put a quick end to the disagreement.

The video was both free and badly made.

:)

17. Blue_Trek

Blue_Trek Captain Captain

I watch those crappy cam movies because I want to know the story and plot. If I want to see the movie I will gladly pay for it. This happened for me with Tron and surprisely Green Lantern. I saw Ironman 3 about a week ago. And if friends ask me if I want to go I will.

Here is the thing I will preview the movie online, but I will pay to see in theater anyways.
    I am fully spoiled anyways so it makes no difference to me now.

I know many will say it ruins the experience, but personally I don't need to see surprises or twists on screen anymore.
    I go to the theater to enjoy big sound and picture not plots, twists and surprises, that I can do from home.

18. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

Leaving the ethics of it aside for a moment (though that doesn't apply as much in this case since I'd see it in theaters regardless of whether I saw a bootleg first), I wouldn't want to see a crappy bootleg version of STiD anyway. The score, the audio, the FX, and the cinematography/visuals were meant for a big screen surround sound presentation. It would take away from the experience and might negatively affect my opinion to see such a poor quality version.

It's going to be a bummer not being able to fully participate in discussions with people from other countries who have seen in when it goes wide release, but then, that's no different from how they must feel when they have to wait while the US gets the movies first, so that's fair. I chose to read the spoilers from the premieres this time though so I could at least understand the gist of the story and participate in the discussions to some degree.

I just don't understand the widely staggered release policy from the position of the studios, especially in this day and age when piracy is so rampant. I don't think it will have a huge impact on the box office or anything, but it might have some, and making the movie more likely to be bootlegged before its release in its largest single market doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

I assume it's partially for promotional purposes like wanting the top tier cast and crew to be able to make appearances at all the premieres and promote the film in local media, but it just seems counter-productive to me. And I'm not saying this just because the US is getting the film later, I think they should try and make the release dates as close together as possible everywhere.

19. Garrovick

Garrovick Commander Red Shirt

Resistance is NOT futile.

I'll see it in the theatre and get the Blu-Ray later.

20. DarthTom

Agreed. Someone was peddling Iron Man yesterday <blip> - before it is even released in theatres here - claming it was a 'good cam version,'' of the film.

If anything, Trek fans [I'd imagine] are even even more rabid to get their hands on anything that comes out first.

I suppose the 3-D versions of films have to some degree mitigated this problem becuase obviously you cannot cam record a 3-d film but an international release first of Iron Man and now Trek seems kind of odd.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2013