Star Trek: Axanar

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by Linnear, Sep 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Karzak

Karzak Commodore Commodore

Yes, he does cite official documents, but he does so poorly. His conclusions are assumptions pulled out of thin air because he was too lazy to check his work. If you spend the time to scrutinize the work, you'd see how poorly researched those books are, even if you can't tell that they're also poorly written as well.

2. Phantom

Phantom Captain

In your opinions.

I've read two of the three books and Cushman is very careful to cite his interviews and documents accessed.

Cushman's interviews are backed up by independent accounts in other publications, including accounts by the same people that were interviewed (Inside Star Trek, Gene Roddenberry: The Man and the Myth..., Star Trek: The Complete Unauthorized History, et al.

The only significant issue there is with Cushman's books is the dispute over exactly how ratings were compiled and their relative weighting, which is a controversy that neither began nor ended with Star Trek, and still crops up today from time to time.

3. Indysolo

Indysolo Commodore Commodore

This isn't ratings related. And neither is this.

I could go on (many of us could) but it's not Axanar related.

Neil

4. Phantom

Phantom Captain

Very much so. Speaking for myself, nowhere have I indicated any personal hatred for JJ Abrams whatsoever. He seems to be doing moderately well (from what I've seen so far) with Star Wars, for example. Of course he actually likes Star Wars and it's very straightforward and simplistic structure and narrative depth are more in tune with what I've seen of his efforts to date.

And before someone starts accusing me of "hating to hate" on Star Wars, I like Star Wars very much for what it is: epic fantasy in sci-fi trappings.

Yep.

Yep.

This I'm going to have to maybe disagree. And I'm not just seeing this with Trek. It's happening, for example, with a lot of long running media properties that have either been "reimagined" (BSG), or that have changed media (Marvel characters).

Please explain that to the poster than spent several screen inches lecturing about how his opinion was more valid than mine as to the merits of Axanar's FX vs Abrams' because he was a "professional VFX artist".

Back to Axanar:

as to the ages of various actors, such as Alec Peters, I didn't think he was that old. He looked like maybe mid-late 30s to me. Mind you, even if he had appeared to be in his 40s or early 50s that would not be inappropriate for a senior captain.

In real life, a Naval officer would not make the rank of captain (esp of a major command) w/o at least 20 years of service under his belt. In Trek terms, Commodore Wesley and/or Decker are more realistic models for what a starship captain would be age-wise than someone like Kirk.

5. gazomg

gazomg Commander Commodore

Which thought was ridiculous. also.
    You validated my point

As for kirk in the abrams movies, that is just completely retarded, he sneaks on to the ship and by the time the movie is over he is captain

Only in the mind of JJ could something like that happen.

6. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

:guffaw:

No.

How the ratings were compiled and what they measured in the mid-to-late 1960s is a matter of public record. That Cushman failed to understand these things, preferring to extrapolate a conspiracy theory from a series of bad assumptions and false premises, is proof positive of his remarkable deficiencies as a scholar.

And although his theory about the ratings and NBC could reasonably be described as the thesis of These Are The Voyages (as much as it has one), it's far from the only significant failing of the books. Cushman's propensity for conjuring up details about the production out of thin air would be the big one, by my estimation. Neil was kind enough to link to a couple of articles I've written scrutinizing portions of the first two books, but it's safe to say I have only scratched the surface of their failings.

But... remember Axanar and all that? If you want to watch These Are The Voyages be unravelled before your very eyes, there's a forum for the original series and a forum for Star Trek books.

7. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

No, I'm sure other people could think of it as well.

Personally, I don't care what age the characters are, so long as they are presented as people in interesting situations.

8. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

We had a younger Captain again in TNG didn't we? Captain Scott wasn't it? When Riker refused his first Captaincy he wouldn't have been much older would he?

9. Ithekro

Ithekro Vice Admiral Admiral

This talk of age suggests that we need to see something of a cast list for USS Ares in the near future.

10. Tom Servo

Tom Servo Commodore Commodore

It's not that my opinion was any less or more valid, it's that your basic premise was factually flawed and you seemingly had no concept of how the industry worked.

11. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I do find it funny that many folks talk about facts and objectivity but then are in bitter denial when someone that actually works in the industry comes in and shoots them down. :lol:

12. DCR

DCR Commander Red Shirt

I don't worry much about the age factor in casting. Kirk's age in TOS was obviously driven more by the requirements for 60's TV leads than the exigencies of a fictional service.

As for comparing it to the Abrams movies, which I enjoyed well enough, I wouldn't want to do a straight up comparison. I do expect, or at least hope, that Axanar gets right the one thing that Abrams got horribly wrong, but besides that I'll judge it on the same grounds as any other unofficial Star Trek film.

I'm not associated with either production, but I always thought the difference between Axanar and Renegades in terms of being "independent" had to do with the latter film's stated purpose of drawing CBS' attention towards itself as a potential series idea. Both films are being produced independently, but for different goals.

13. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

While I get the whole "rooting for the underdog" thing in this Axanar vs. Abrams thing, it really amuses me since Axanar's Federation ships are all direct lifts from the Abramsverse, several scenes are obvious homages to the movies (ships rising from clouds, the Klingon ship crashing into a city etc) and even the Stardates are in the EARTHYEAR.DAY format which so upset a few die-hard fans. The rest of the visuals (the Klingon designs, the Archer arena, Vulcan) and even one of the lead characters (Soval) are directly lifted from Enterprise, which was far from popular in its day. It must be kinda awkward to love it so much when it takes so much from the "worst" of Trek.

14. KennyB

KennyB I have spoken............ Moderator

This just made my day better.........brilliant. :guffaw:

15. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

And you missed the entire point.

16. northstar

northstar Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

As far as I know, no one of the actual production team has mentioned here that they hate the JJ Abrams Trek movies. In fact, they specifically tried to bridge the gap.

Everything up to the Narada incident is pretty much similar in both universes, the split appears after that. The only thing they critizied and changed is the size of the "old" ships (like the Kelvin), to make a bit more sense out of that.

Visually they pretty obviously got inspired by some of the shots in the JJ movies, and why shouldn´t they. Visually, these movies are outstanding.

So Axanar I´d say can appeal to both "groups" and I applaud them for that.

17. gazomg

gazomg Commander Commodore

who works where and who does what has ZERO basis when it comes to a persons own personal choice of favorite.
    A members own personal opinion does not need to be justified, and people lecturing him because of his opinion serves no purpose.

If a person thinks rightly or wrongly the graphics in one movie is better that is his choice, and whether you or someone else works in the industry dont mean squat to a members personal preference, no matter how much you try to lecture or make out you are better qualified to decide.

I know this might be hard for some to digest or grasp, but give it a try.

18. KennyB

KennyB I have spoken............ Moderator

Nope---don't think so. But thank you ever so much for telling me what points I am or am not aware of.

I thought the GIF was humorous.......still do.

19. Karzak

Karzak Commodore Commodore

Robert Meyer Burnett actually despises those movies. Anyone who followed him on Twitter in the months leading up to Into Darkness can attest to this; he was not shy at all about how much he hates the Abrams films.

20. GSchnitzer

GSchnitzer Co-Executive Producer In Memoriam

So much snark and acrimony. High noise to signal ratio. Getting close to closing thread. Will see if posters can change the direction/tone before I do.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.