largest dinosaur found

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by varek, May 17, 2014.

1. varek

varek Commander Red Shirt

2. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

The thing that most bums me out about dinosaurs is that we'll never be able to see them alive. As tall as a 7-story building?! That's massive. That's 3 times the size of my house! I can't even fathom such a creature.

3. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

The Jurassic World guys are probably throwing their tables right now.

4. varek

varek Commander Red Shirt

It's probably a good thing they aren't still alive here on Earth with us! We'd wind up being "ants" on the bottom of their feet!

5. YellowSubmarine

YellowSubmarine Vice Admiral Admiral

6. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

What a monster...

7. 2takesfrakes

2takesfrakes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Even if we could've evolved alongside the dinosaurs, by now, certainly, most of them would've been hunted, or driven into extinction, anyway. Like woolly mammoths. At least the birds are still around and there is more diversity amongst them than there's ever been in all of dinosauria.

8. Metryq

Metryq Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

What do you mean"if"? That museum in Kentucky shows dinosaurs and humans sharing the same environment. "They couldn't say it if it wasn't true!" :rolleyes:

9. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

Yabba, dabba...DON'T :rolleyes:

Not my best play one words, but if there is ever a great book to debunk the folks who thought we never went to the Moon, it should be
    CAPRICORN NONE

10. 2takesfrakes

These "discoveries" take a long time to get publicised, I'm noticing. I was told by someone in Paleontology that this is done deliberately, to reignite interest in the subject, when museums are running low on funds. As to what's going on with the Kentucky museum, telling people what they want to hear to make a quick buck off of them is given High Marks in Advertising and Salesmanship ...

11. Metryq

Metryq Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

And then after all this time some paleontologist will discover that fossilization enlarges the size of the "preserved" item—like a sponge absorbing water. Wouldn't that be a Homer moment?

D'oh!

12. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

But they found complete skeletons that didn't sponge up.

13. PurpleBuddha

PurpleBuddha Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It would seem to me that if anything, they would shrink some, but I am no expert.

14. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Yep, not to mention the time it takes to confirm it all and get the announcement ready. I have an Uncle who's a paleontologist in Philly and he's all too used to it, and he's discovered a lot. It can often take from 1 year to 2 for a discovery to be announced.

15. 2takesfrakes

An uncle in Philly? That's cool! The paleontologist I dealt with the most was Jason Poole, Lab Manager at The Academy of Natural Sciences, here - though I've not seen him in ages. Like myself, he too, is a trained artist. Very personable, likeable man. Huge STAR WARS fan. He has a personal site that I'd bookmarked where he talked about his adventures and showcased some of his Dino-Art. He still runs Art Classes on the subject, if I'm not too mistaken ...

http://dino-scribbles.blogspot.com/

A YouTube video of a project he worked on:

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Yhlp5_e_G5c[/yt]

G00GLE is celebrating paleontologist Mary Anning's birthday, today:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Anning

16. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Yep, the last big project he was involved in was an expedition to Egypt where a new discovery was made that they named the Paralititan. He and his students participated in a documentary about it that aired on the National Geographic Channel back in 2001. He's also been featured more recently with Phil Manning on the Jurassic CSI miniseries that also aired on National Geographic, and also participated on a fascinating documentary about Stromer and Marsh on PBS's American Experience.

Thanks for the links!

17. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

We live in exciting times.