TOS: The Weight of Worlds by Greg Cox Review Thread (Spoilers!)

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Sho, Mar 16, 2013.

?

Rate The Weight of Worlds.

1. Outstanding

8 vote(s)
    18.2%
  2. Above Average

24 vote(s)
    54.5%
  3. Average

9 vote(s)
    20.5%
  4. Below Average

3 vote(s)
    6.8%
  5. Poor

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Man of Steel

Man of Steel Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Patrick,

Us Nyers get the privilege of Trek authors coming here during Comic Con in October. :)

2. Garrovick

Garrovick Commander Red Shirt

Finished this one yesterday, enjoyed it very much! I especially enjoyed the parts with the Enterprise crew overcoming the Crusaders on Ephrata IV with Kirk, Spock, and Scotty all being out of the picture temporarily. Well done!

3. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

About a quarter through. Interesting tech for the enemy, not certain about how things will progress.

4. indianatrekker26

indianatrekker26 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm about half way through this book, just haven't had a chance to read it in a couple of days. But i'm loving this. At first, i started picturing the Crusaders as those aliens who kidnap Riker and others in the TNG episode "Schisms." But i'm figuring they aren't the same alien race.
    spoiler:

I'm right at the spot where Scotty gets knocked out, and Uhura's taking over.

5. Kertrats47

Kertrats47 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Enjoyed this one! Here's my review.

Highlights: Uhura's role, and the general method of overcoming the antagonists. Also, the cover!

6. VDCNI

VDCNI Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I really enjoyed this - I'm not much of a TOS fan but have a soft spot for Uhura so picked this up because it was mentioned she had a decent part and I wasn't disappointed.

Nice action packed plot with some good character stuff for Uhura and Sulu.

7. Kertrats47

Kertrats47 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^ Agreed. I really wish the series had been able to give Nichols roles like the one Uhura has in this novel.

8. Ronald Held

About half way through. Waiting to see some sign of progress in overcoming the enemies.

9. UssGlenn

UssGlenn Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I enjoyed the book. The Crusaders motivations reminded me a bit of Douglas Adams' Krikkit War.

10. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

And another very good Greg Cox read.

11. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I really liked this book.I liked seeing Uhura being in command of the Enterprise.She has some great scenes in this book.:techman:

12. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm a bit over half way through, and its a decent book. I've grown to find the bad guys a bit more interesting than I did in the beginning, although I still wouldn't say they're great. I like the character stuff with Uhura and others. I'm not a big fan of Kirk's prime directive dilemma, and that combined with the bad guys not being the best dragging the book down a bit, but overall its a decent read.

13. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

Just finished. Another very good stand-alone adventure (I forgot how much I missed those); it reads very much like an episode of the old series. Greg Cox has a great grasp of all the characters vocalizations - not unexpected - and it was easy 'hearing' all the familiar voices as I was reading. I enjoyed the humour studded throughout the story - even in the face of danger. It really was....satisfying to see Sulu play a very prominent role (as I alway envisioned he should ) and Uhura given the opportunity to strut her command presence; I hope we see more of that in the future - no matter who writes for us. I enjoyed our adversaries because as opposed to being bad for personal gain, they truly believed what they were doing and were simply misguided. I have to admit, what 'threw me for a loop' was the challenge between Jaenab and our intrepid hero, Captain Kirk. I wasn't expecting to see something of a sporting event (I found it very quiddich-esque) and it took me a little while to get into it. It was refreshing, though, that it simply wasn't a slug-fest, frankly, something I was expecting. The 'game' interspersed with the scenes of Spock and Vlisora were very well done - the action was very well paced and concluded well. It all reminded me of the old days. Thanks for the read.

14. Ronald Held

At the point where Kirk is captured and betrayed, and Spock seems to be dead. Certainly seems TOS like.

15. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Strange but true: I actually worked out the "rules" of the game on a long plane flight from Los Angeles to Philadelphia. Took me most of the trip! :)

16. Greg Cox

Forgive the double post. But it dawns on me that I should mention that I will be appearing at Captain Blue Hen Comics in Newark, Delaware tomorrow to promote the book.

Captain Blue Hen Comics
    March 13, 1-3 pm.

Hope to see some of you there!

17. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Oh dear... page 210... a knockout gas invented by "a distant relative" of Sulu's family in the 20th century to battle "vicious crooks and racketeers." So Sulu is a descendant of the Green Hornet's trusty valet Kato? Oh, my...

(Is that perhaps partly a nod to the fact that Sulu is named Kato -- albeit with the correct pronunciation -- in the Japanese dub of Star Trek?)

Just noticed this:

No need to resort to alternate timelines to explain that -- the ship was simply refit and got upgraded shuttles between TOS and TAS.

There are a few different stars with some form of Deneb in their names, since it's Arabic for "tail." It's assumed in Star Charts, and in some Trek lit including my own, that the Deneb referenced in TOS is actually Deneb Kaitos, or Beta Ceti, which is about 96 light-years away, while the Deneb seen in "Encounter at Farpoint" is just plain Deneb, or Alpha Cygni, which is so far away that its distance is hard to calculate but is estimated to be somewhere between 1550 and 2600 light-years away -- a good distance for Farpoint Station, which was supposed to be on the outermost fringe of Federation-explored space.

18. Enterpriserules

Enterpriserules Commodore Commodore

I have finished it and really liked, my full review is coming soon. We also got the chance to talk to Greg on Literary Treks!

19. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Finished it. Rated it 'Above Average'.

I found its' greatest strength was that it felt like an episode of TOS. Its' greatest weakness was that it felt a little too much like certain episodes. But it was a fun read. :techman:

20. Greg Cox

For what's worth, I had just done a rewatch of all three seasons of the original series, so I was very much in a TOS state of mind! :)