Am I missing DS9 storyline? (POSSIBLE SPOILERS)

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by bfollowell, Oct 23, 2012.

1. bfollowell

bfollowell Captain Captain

I'm pretty sure I know the answer but I'm just confirming; there's no official DS9 storyline between the last DS9 relaunch novel, The Never-Ending Sacrifice, and the Typhon Pact novels, correct? I'm about a third of the way through The Rough Beasts of Empire and it was mentioned that there was some problem with Rebecca Sisko where she was almost killed and now I've just read that Kira is a Vedek. Anyway, I seem to remember everyone wondering about the long span of unexplained time and changes and the hinted at events and just wanted to make certain I hadn't missed anything. The only DS9 related characters I've read of in the intervening novels have been in the Aventine related novels.

I haven't missed anything have I?

Thanks.

- Byron

2. John Mason

John Mason Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

possibly ....:vulcan:

3. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Only what everybody else has been missing.

Pocket (not sure which editor it was) decided to bring DS9 into sync with the TNG novels, so they had to skip a few years. About 4. The stuff that was going to happen (the entire plotline with the Ascendents, the entire plotline that left Sisko in this state of mind at the beginning of RBoE) were are hinted towards. This has left a lot of fans very disappointed.
    Some were also not very pleased with RBoE when it came out. I'm not one of them, I love it. The plotlines for this novel are wrapped up in Plagues of Night and Raise The Dawn.

4. bfollowell

OK, good. Well, not good that they never published this stuff and sort of left us all hanging, but good that I didn't miss anything, at least nothing that everyone else didn't miss too.

Thanks for the info.

Wow, it's hard to believe that, after almost two years of reading, I'm finally starting to close in on being "caught up" with the current chronology.

- Byron

5. DS9Continuing

DS9Continuing Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

As everyone has said, there is no official word on what happened in between.

But I wouldn't be me if I didn't offer you the opportunity to read a potential set of ideas of what may have happened in the form of my DS9 Season 10 project. The link is in my sig.

6. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Except for "Reservoir Ferengi," which covers the entire first year of the gap, but focuses mainly on Brunt and Gaila.

7. shanejayell

shanejayell Captain Captain

Dude, seriously. Promoing your fic is annoying. So much so that even if you were the next DRG III, I wouldn't read it at this point.

And yeah, except for bits & pirces in Rough Beasts of Empire & Resevoir Ferengi, it hasn't been covered. Which I find irritating as hell, frankly.

8. OmahaStar

OmahaStar Disrespectful of his betters Admiral

That's harsh, don't you think? lvsxy is a very nice guy.

9. DS9forever

DS9forever Commodore Commodore

I've tried to create a timeline of the four years between The Soul Key and Rough Beasts of Empire.

2378: Kira leaves Starfleet to join the Bajoran religion. Vaughn is promoted to Captain and takes command of DS9. Ro becomes Vaughn's first officer.

2379: Vaughn leaves DS9 and takes command of the Kirk. Prylar Eivos and his wife die in a fire, Sisko briefly works at B'hala.

2380: Ezri transfers to the Aventine. Rebecca Sisko is kidnapped by an insane Ohalu follower; Jasmine Tey helps rescue her. This may be the event that occurred on Penraddo, as mentioned in Rough Beasts of Empire.

I can't place exactly when the Ascendant situation comes to a head.

10. OmahaStar

OmahaStar Disrespectful of his betters Admiral

So who is running DS9 now? Morn?

11. shanejayell

shanejayell Captain Captain

In the book canon, Ro.

12. WarsTrek1993

WarsTrek1993 Captain Captain

Well, we know none of the crew will get any peace and quiet then... :rommie:

13. Sakrysta

Sakrysta Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I'm re-reading the first Typhon Pact novels now and am really frustrated with all the missing info. I wish that - at the least! - the writers had thrown in some flashbacks to explain how people got into such different positions from where we left them.

14. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

If you just stick with the books you can start to piece together a fair amount of what happened.

15. DS9Continuing

DS9Continuing Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's not my intention to be irritating, but when somebody asks the question that my fan-fic was specifically designed to answer, and that has been asked so many hundreds of times that somebody had to answer it, what do you expect me to do?

Thank you. :bolian:

Very true, but all that establishes about life on DS9 itself is that Rom and Leeta came back for a visit at some point. "The Calling" also takes place somewhere in this area, although it hasn't been nailed down as to exactly when, and it likewise has little to do with the main DS9 characters as it's mostly a Garak-solo story.

16. bfollowell

I like to keep to the "official" chronology as much as possible. My experience has been that most, but certainly not all, fan-fiction isn't up to snuff quality-wise. As a result of being unofficial, and not having a lot of luck finding things that were really worth the time to read, I tend to steer clear of fan-fiction. Still, I've seen this one posted on here for quite a while now and have seen a fair number of favorable reviews. Assuming Pocket Books doesn't publish anything pertaining to the missing years before I'm completely caught up with the current chronology, which doesn't seem even remotely likely, I may give it a try.

- Byron