MLB Season Discussion - 2013

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by tomalak301, Mar 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Use of Time

Use of Time Commodore Commodore

Yep, and it is amazing what that deal did for both the Dodgers and Red Sox. Results were not insantaneous last season but they have manifested themselves this season for both teams.

2. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Both teams are now doing well, but did the deal really do that much for the Dodgers? (i'm on the Sox end of it, so obviously not complaining, as that end worked out great)

-Beckett: Bad, then on DL, not sure if going to be able to pitch again
    -Crawford: Terrible, 20M bench player at this point, 5 more years? or 4?
    -Gonzo: Decent, but at 21M? Hit about .300, 'only' 21HRs. Good, for sure, but not the expected great
    -Punto: throw-in, whatever.

Again, i'm happy with the trade, but not sure the Dodgers got as much out of it as is being said. And they took a quarter-billion on in salary and gave up a couple good prospects (and a couple fillers) in the deal.

Both teams are doing well in the wake of the trade, but was it the cause for the Dodgers? Hanley's been just as important for them, no? And Beckett was actively hurting them.

3. Yanks

Yanks Commodore Commodore

4. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

RIP Manny Machado's knee. Holy shit.

5. Yanks

That brought back Jeter memories...

6. Use of Time

I was thinking more of Gonzo and Hanley. For some reason I associated Ramirez with that trade. I forgot Hanley came from the fish.

7. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Is it just me or are people getting hurt more these days then they did 20 years ago? You'd think with all the modern technology people would be spending less time on the DL, not more.

8. Timby

Sometimes a freak injury is just a freak injury, like Joe Theismann getting his leg snapped in half by Lawrence Taylor almost 30 years ago, or Tony Saunders suffering the exact same elbow injury twice, somehow.

9. Kirby

Kirby Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Commish Bud Selig announced his retirement effective January 25, 2015. Only 20 years too late...

10. Yanks

Yes, put the ALL-STAR game back to what it was!!

Let the World series home field advantage go to the team with the best RECORD!!!

11. Timby

He's done some stupid stuff (like the knee-jerk reaction to the All-Star Game), but he's presided over eighteen years of uninterrupted labor peace -- which certainly isn't something Roger Goodell, Gary Bettman and David Stern can say.

12. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If he wasn't commissioner a lot of people would be complaining about whomever was. Just the way it goes.

13. Kirby

Kirby Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^^ It's a no-win job for sure, but I think having a team owner attempt to be impartial is a joke. I still think Bob Costas would be the best guy for the job. He'd never go for it though, but he'd be great.

14. Timby

Ugh, no. Costas is one of the most sanctimonious pricks out there and I have to change the channel whenever he starts babbling on about steroids, conveniently forgetting that baseball has a long, sordid history of drug and alcohol abusers and players using any substance possible to get an upper hand.

Anyone who goes on whimsical spiels about the golden age of baseball and how the "Steroid Era" tainted the game is automatically tuned out by me.

15. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

There's a wonderful cracked article pointing out that bigger problem for much of baseball has been amphetamines (still likely abused through ADHD diagnoses, though). They had been used for decades. Once cleaned up, hitting has dropped dramatically. But it would implicate far more people than just the steroids era.

16. Timby

Absolutely. Greenies, uppers, whatever, they were passed around like candy in clubhouses in the '50s and '60s and '70s. There is a demonstrable effect upon a person's mental awareness and response times when on those substances.

But instead everyone (especially Costas) gets all sanctimonious about the live ball era, because those guys in the '60s played the game the "right way," but steroids are Magic Dinger Juice, despite guys like Neifi fucking Perez being popped for usage, and past eras of the game being just as filled with douchebags, liars, cheaters and scum.

I've said this before:

Ser Barrold of House Bonds' only real crime was murdering baseballs, but he's seen as a pariah.

Ray Lewis was involved in a double-homicide, lied to the cops and almost certainly destroyed evidence, but because his management ran a decade of one of the greatest PR campaigns in history, he's an All-American Hero.

17. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Well, all the witnesses there said Ray Lewis was trying to break up a fight and he cooperated with the police and testified against them. The end result was he was the only one who was punished. He probably did lie to the cops and destroy evidence, but it's also not clear that his lying made a difference in the long run.

One other thing that cracked article pointed out (I should probably just dig up the link) is that the majority of steroid users so far implicated are pitchers. It makes sense, of course, since steroids help you heal faster. I do think aging players used it for the same reason and there are players who otherwise should have had declining numbers who ended up with the greatest numbers of their career. I think it's hard to argue steroids were irrelevant in their performance, but it's still only a small part of the picture.

18. Timby

No, he definitively did lie to the police (and they never found the suit Lewis was wearing that night -- what, did he accidentally drop it into the Inner Harbor?). In exchange for his testimony, the murder charge against Lewis was dropped and he plead guilty to obstruction of justice due to lying in his initial interviews.

(Sorry, the Ray Lewis thing gets to me because I'm still in Baltimore for another month and he is a fucking deity out here. It's ridiculous.)

In actual MLB news, the Giants have locked down Hunter Pence to a 5 / 90 extension, which I think immediately makes that one of the worst contracts in baseball the moment pen is put to paper.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2013
  19. Use of Time

Every single time I see him play I wonder how the hell he ever got into the majors. I mean don't get me wrong, he is a decent big league ball player but if I was a scout and saw him in high school throwing a baseball the way he does along with his spastic batting stance I would have been laughing hysterically. It's amazing how he makes it work at the professional level.

20. Timby

Yeah, I don't hate Pence, and he's one of the strange cases where OPS+ is really misleading (because it's driven so heavily by his slugging, which balances out his low walk rate). He's not a terrible player (offensively, at least ... defensively he's a joke), but he's definitely not an $18MM/year guy.

Then again, Sabean is second only to Jerry Dipoto and Rube in terms of "bad deals to veterans." Word is they're trying to lock Lincecum into a long-term contract despite him having two really rough years, and if anyone signs him for more than three years, they're insane.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.