Defiance Season 2 Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Lucky, Jun 20, 2014.

1. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I had been assuming it was a manifestation of Irzu and/or some kind of AI from the Kalvar (the thing they put in Irisa) or Kaziri (the thing she jumped into).
    As for the game, it's a third person shooter, not an FPS. I didn't realize it was F2P, I might have to check it out now.

2. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

"I'll have to check out that game" are my famous last words.

3. Mister Fandango

Mister Fandango Fleet Captain

It's almost like they're individuals with their own individual motives and stuff.

You might as well get upset whenever you see a skinny American or a German hippie.

4. Gryffindorian

Gryffindorian Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah? Well, I wanna see a skinny German and an American hippie.

5. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

New episode tonight:

6. WeAreTheBorg

WeAreTheBorg Vice Admiral Admiral

I must say I was extremely tickled by the explicit reference to the fact that Nolan is basically Han Solo in the actual script of the show. Sometimes you forget this is actually set in our world where Star Wars is really a thing.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2014
  7. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Yeah, Hitler SS girl was definitely airing the grievances of detractors of the show.

8. teacake

The whole time I was watching Berlin I was thinking, "who is she sleeping with.. they are setting her up to be sleeping with someone." AND I WAS RIGHT! Not that this was exactly interesting news :lol:

I think it is improving. Needs more soap opera. Needs less Nolan. Needs ZERO alien artifact religious crap but I know that is not going away.

I think Benz is a great actor, you can see that she is high in some of the scenes. Very well done and subtle. SO much more interesting than season 1 where she was just uptight establishment person with sad past. Also still wearing the same hot dress, would like to see her in more of Kenya's clothes.

Nolan is still the weakest link to me.

9. Mister Fandango

Yeah, I don't even understand why they cast the guy as Nolan. He has zero charisma on-screen, and even his relationship with Irisa feels forced rather than genuine.

10. teacake

^I totally agree. He has to keep telling us "she is my daughter" "I love my daughter" "that's my daughter" over and over and over. Like, what?

11. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

I noticed that last night's ep was written by Mike Taylor, who wrote two of the most famous DS9 eps: "In the Pale Moonlight" and "The Visitor."

And, hey, Stahma's human daughter-in-law actually got some dialogue this week!

12. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Not a "great" episode, but entertaining all the same. We're only the second week in, and Nolan has already been reinstated as Lawkeeper. Actually, I don't mind this so much since things are still sufficiently different than they were last year. The dynamic between Nolan and Tommy is sure to be different now, given I expect Tommy to be pissed and bitter over being demoted just because his old boss is back in town. I'm a bit disappointed they didn't do more with Tommy as Lawkeeper, show he wasn't up for the job instead of just tossing him aside because Nolan is better at the job. Ah well, interested to see where this goes.

It was kind of surreal when Nolan actually gets compared to Han Solo in the show itself. You just don't expect another sci-fi franchise to be referenced in a sci-fi show, unless that show is Stargate. To hear Star Wars referenced (by name, at that) is just not something you expect when you're watching futuristic sci-fi. It's like mixing oil and water.

So, what exactly was the escape plan devised by Datak and Dr. Yewll? Have someone attack Mayor Pottinger so that Datak can sweep in, save the mayor and be pardoned and released? I would ask how this helps Dr. Yewll, but it seems Datak made changes to the plan in his own favor, but it's not really clear what the original plan was.

I thought they made it a bit too easy for Alak to kill Skevur, meaning that by having Skevur break free and attack Alak, they make it a simple kill or be killed situation which should help Alak come to terms with killing Skevur since he had to. I think it would have been more interesting if Alak actually chose to kill a defenseless victim, to show how far he's slipping.

The new E-Rep soldier, Berlin seems an okay character so far despite her very clichéd backstory of E-Rep helping her through a childhood tragedy resulting in her being 100% loyal now. What exactly is her job? I'm guessing she's some sort of security or intelligence officer, since Tommy seems to answer to her and she essentially controls the surveillance network, but then she also films the mayor's speeches and films interviews with the soldiers, which would typically be handled by PR people. But then, when Nolan and Irisa show up at the security field, she takes command even though she was only there to film interviews.

Finally, we end the episode yet again with Mayor Pottinger creepily watching his Amanda-cam. That's going to get old really quick if they end every episode that way.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2014
  13. Greg Cox

Farscape used to do it, too, since Crichton was a twentieth-century Earthman who had presumably seen his fair share of Star Trek, Star Wars, etc. He made lots of pop-cultural references.

14. Mister Fandango

He even rode around with the Enterprise in one memorable episode.

15. teacake

Tommy is utterly boring.

I didn't like the Han Solo reference, it annoyed me. It went on too long. And I thought it was stupid. Maybe young Nolan thought it was way cool to be a rogue cowboy with a blaster at his side but this guy has been wounded, died, killed people, lost people, fought in unwinnable battles.. you don't tell a hardened soldier that he is in it to be comic book character. Unless in this show that's really all he is which I think is the case.

As to the Datak plan, that was pretty dodgey. Hopefully it will be revealed to have a lot more layers to it including freeing the doctor.

16. Mister Fandango

My problem with Datak's plan is that it felt like something he already did last season. It was nice that it didn't work this time, but it still felt lame.

17. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

True, though Farscape, like Stargate was more light-hearted tongue in cheek fare, with a lead character from contemporary Earth, or near enough in Farscape's case. Although, I guess Defiance's lead is also from contemporary Earth, as Nolan was a kid in the pilot when he firs saw the alien ships arrive in modern St. Louis. But, Defiance isn't as tongue in cheek, hearing a Star Wars reference here feels as weird as it would were Star Wars to be referenced on Star Trek

18. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Well, at least no one on the show has made a "the world's turned into a shitty SyFy channel show", reference.

19. teacake

Wash: Psychic, though? That sounds like something out of science fiction.
    Zoe:You live in a spaceship, dear.

That was my favorite :D

20. Greg Cox

I don't know. It also works as a nice reminder that this isn't all that far in the future--and that the world of the viewer is less than a generation in the past. It goes with Defiance still having country music and the older folks being nostalgic for the way things used to be. "I miss horses," etc.

"Star Wars" is part of the pop-cultural detritus of Old Earth. It's like referencing Coca-Cola or Elvis Presley . . . .