So What Are you Reading?: Generations

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by captcalhoun, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I don't know about TNG novels, but it's very difficult to reconcile the chronology of Ogawa's presence as a doctor in IFM with her presence as a nurse in Titan: Fallen Gods, set just a couple of months earlier.

2. BritishSeaPower

BritishSeaPower Captain Captain

Based on Ogawa's frequent continuity issues, I think she should be the target of a DTI investigation.

3. CaptKirk

CaptKirk Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

About half way through "No Time Like the Past." So far it has been really enjoyable. Interesting crossover.

4. CaffeineAddict

CaffeineAddict Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

read two Agatha Christie novels, Ordeal by Innocence and Sleeping Murder. Having taken a break to read the "A Time To..." series, I returned to the DS9 relaunch with Mission Gamma III: Cathedral. I enjoyed this one more than the previous two mission gamma books.

Started reading Mission Gamma IV, and returned to some technical reading I started last year, with SQL Server 2012 Internals.

5. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm reading StarTrek Tos No Time like the past by Greg Cox. I really am enjoying the story so far.:techman:

6. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I finished reading Hounded, the first novel in Kevin Hearn's Iron Druid Chronicles series.
    My review:
    Loved it. I was initially interested in this because it was UF which took place in my home town (well near my home town) and I that aspect of it was great. Reading it, it was obvious it was written by a local. Now I almost wish I drank, so just I could have an excuse to check out the real world version of the bar featured in the book.
    As for the rest of the book, I loved it. The main character, a 2,000 year old Druid named Atticus O'Sullivan is a really fun character. One of the other major characters in the book is his Irish Wolfhound, Oberon, who he talks too. I loved Oberon, he was a really fun character, who was a perfect example what you would expect a dog to be like if you could talk to them.
    The world building in this was also a lot of fun. I really thought it was a perfect example of the familiar elements that are common in UF stories, Vampires, Werewolves, Fae, but there there were enough unique elements, and the characters were interesting enough that it didn't feel like same old same old.
    I'm really looking forward to reading the next book in the series, Hexed.
    My rating: 5\5

7. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

You mean, like Dug in Up?

Squirrel!

8. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Maybe a transporter accident split her into two people?

9. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I just finished reading No time like the past great book I really enjoyed reading it. I just started Articles of the Federation by Keith Decandido.

10. JD5000

JD5000 Captain Captain

I'm about half-way through and enjoying Captain's Honor by David Dvorkin. It seemed to get some pretty bad reviews, which is why I bought it, and I like it so far. Exactly what I was looking for in an episodic novel!

The characters are cartoons, there are space battles and space Romans and evil cannibalistic alien cats! I love it!

11. Starscape

Starscape Commodore Fan Art Challenge Winner

Finished VOY: Protectors and I'm looking forward to it's follow up.

With Transformers: Regeneration One concluding this month I've been revisiting the start of the "Generation One" comics. Aaaah, simpler times... ;)

12. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Kind of a more PG-13 Dug.

13. CaffeineAddict

CaffeineAddict Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Sad to see the end of Regeneration One, but it's been good. I started reading Generation One through last year, when they released the collected editions digitally, so now Regeneration One is done, I'm going to pick it up again. It's amazing how much better the writing got when Furman took over.

14. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Starting 1984 today. Hope it lives up to the hype.

15. Kertrats47

Kertrats47 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Posted my review of David R. George III's The Lost Era: Serpents Among the Ruins in anticipation of his follow-up later this year, One Constant Star.

Picked up Rise of the Federation: Tower of Babel by Christopher L. Bennett yesterday. Off to a great start!

1984 is great. 1984 has always been great, and 1984 will always be great.

Until Big Brother decides that it is not.

16. Starscape

Starscape Commodore Fan Art Challenge Winner

At least we knew it was a limited run going in, I was kinda upset when G1 was cancelled abruptly back-in-the-day (at least I hadn't heard anything about it until the final issue).

Yeah, Furman's good. I collected the UK comics, so he was alway was a presence in the series, I don't think I noticed when he took over the US run stories. ;)

17. JD5000

JD5000 Captain Captain

Finished Captains' Honor by David Dvorkin today. I didn't particularly like the way it ended a little abruptly with a lot of unfinished plot lines and unanswered questions, but I pretty much immediately realized that I really didn't care about the answers to those questions and that I had enjoyed reading the book. There might be a follow-up novel, I haven't looked into it. Lucius Sejanus seemed like an interesting enough character/villain to be worth bringing back in another equally inconsequential yet entertaining novel.

On to The Eyes of the Beholders by A.C. Crispin. I'm 15% in, so haven't read enough to guess what the ultimate themes are going to be, but I assume it's going to be something about personal handicaps and overcoming society's view of them, between the blind Andorian girl and Data's attempt at writing fiction. Might be a good space fight or two also, due to the 'unknown adversary' that I'm guessing I will be enlightened about soon.

18. ronny

ronny Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Finished Before They Are Hanged by Joe Abercrombie. Loved it. I'll be starting the third book in the First Law trilogy pretty soon.

I'm half way through Railsea by China Mieville. I'm a Mieville fan but apparently I'm not a fan of his YA work. I'm not getting into this one and I didn't care much for Un Lun Dun either. I recently finished the collection Looking for Jake by him and that was mostly pretty good.

19. anthony_lynch15

anthony_lynch15 Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Currently reading Star Trek Titan: Orion's Hounds.
    Read Taking Wing & Red King a few years ago, and now intend to get myself caught up on all the Titan books before I read any Typhon Pact books.

Before that I spent the last few months reading the all the Star Trek Voyager relaunch books one after the other. From Homecoming right through to Children of the Storm.
    Thought they were all good reads, although I think I prefer the later books with the reunited crew.

20. Cap'n Crunch

Cap'n Crunch Captain Captain

The other day I finished Mr. Monk and the Blue Flu by Lee Goldberg.

Yesterday I read the comic Richard Castle's Storm Season.

I'm now reading Star Trek: Titan: Absent Enemies by John Jackson Miller.