Paddling a 16-year-old giirl at school: is everyone stupid here?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Flying Spaghetti Monster, Sep 25, 2012.

1. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oh my god, I can't believe it! Ohio isn't one of the pro-paddling states!

2. Knight Templar

Knight Templar Commodore

What is wrong with corporal punishment anyway?

Worked just fine in schools for centuries.

3. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Actually, it's been statistically proven to hurt the development of children, limit their educational growth, and essentially give them a mild form of post-traumatic stress disorder.

4. CaptainStoner

CaptainStoner Knuckle-dragging TNZ Denizen Admiral

Spanking should only be carried out by adults on other adults.

5. Knight Templar

Knight Templar Commodore

Can you post a link from an unbiased site?

That is one that does not take a position on corporal punishment.

6. Alidar Jarok

Well, I got it from Cracked.com's 5 Things You Won't Believe Are Making You Dumber

It's based on a study from the University of New Hampshire. There's at least a correlation there.

7. { Emilia }

{ Emilia } Cute but deadly Moderator

Don't worry, I wasn't offended. In fact I was being way too grouchy in my reply and I apologize for that. ;)

8. Alidar Jarok

Hooray. It was perhaps a bit unnecessary when I wrote it, so sorry about that.

9. Knight Templar

Knight Templar Commodore

Coincidence is not causation.

For all we know, stupider kids do more things to deserve spankings.

10. Alidar Jarok

Actually, the phrase you're looking for is correlation, not coincidence. While I agree that, on the individual level, there needs to be more than just correlation (accounting for pre- and post-spanking IQ development with a large sample size), the comparison between nations is more difficult. It's harder to think of alternative explanations that account for entire nations rather than individuals.

In addition, that's just the epidemiological study. The non-statistical study of actual individuals that determined that they had some form of PTSD doesn't have an alternative explanation and PTSD is associated with reduced IQ.

11. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

But we have moved on so much, do we really want to step back into the days of using voilence to control a child's behaviour.

And a lot of teachers were against Physical Punishment in school for a long time before it was banned....and by the time i was 15 i was simply refusing the belt totally, which had one teacher attacking me in the corridor, wrestling me to the ground and punching me........a nasty peice of work that asshole, big bugger as well....and not the kind of person you want being able to use voilence on kids with complete immunity....one of the reasons i am personally glad its long gone and that none of my nephew's or niece's will ever bump into a crazy unhinged idiot like this in school.

Best in my opinion to leave coropral punishment back in the past were it belongs.

12. Knight Templar

Knight Templar Commodore

I think giving children experience with controlled violence is a vital part of development.

After all, our society uses controlled violence all the time against adults in order to restrain behavior (the police).

13. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

If spanking worked, kids would quit doing shit that got them spanked. But they don't.

Besides that, kids aren't stupid.

"I'm going to spank you because you did something wrong."
    "Didn't you teach me that violence is wrong?"
    "Yes."
    "Isn't spanking violence?"
    "Shut up and bend over!"

My parents spanked me (rarely), and I can tell you that it had little to no positive effect on me. I was much more bothered when they took away stuff I liked, e.g. video games and computer time. Simple deprivation and boredom will make the point.

14. horatio83

horatio83 Commodore Commodore

On the contrary, the police, at least when it follows its own rules, merely uses violence as a last option ... and definitely not against the petty mischief of a child so the comparison is plain wrong. Not that I am surprised about right-wingers lusting for violence (of course with them being on the giving and not the receiving end).

15. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

Children dont need to be personally on the receving end of physical voilence to understand what it is, god knows these days they have such easy access to it's be it on the Tv or internet, much much more than most of us did in our childhood.

Best to leave schools expanding the brain and not expanding the teachers belting arm muscles. ;)

16. Knight Templar

Knight Templar Commodore

I assume paddling is pretty much a last resort for most schools and parents as well.

Television and video games do not equal "experience" or "understanding" of violence.

17. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

Agreed! (Hey, it's about time someone posted this.)

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdFLPn30dvQ[/yt]

18. Colonel Green

Colonel Green Vice Admiral Admiral

I've been opposed to corporal punishment for as long as I can remember. That said, discovering that FSM holds the same opinion has shaken my confidence in my judgement on this issue.

19. JiNX-01

JiNX-01 Admiral Admiral

So, uh... were you disappointed when you found what it was really about?

20. Delsaber

Delsaber Commodore Commodore

There was a news story a few years back about strip searches at a school dance. I don't recall the context, probably something about alcohol, but... damn. Paddling and strip searches. Suddenly my school days don't seem quite so bad.