How is Janeway sexy?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by F. King Daniel, Dec 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. froot

froot Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Guarding the Compound with the Grey Wardens
    Well, except for that one episode where she did compromise with Borg. :lol:

I always felt that line could have been improved if Janeway had snapped, "I don't compromise with Borg... any more." Or, perhaps, "I only compromised with Borg... that one time."

"I compromise with Borg... on Tuesdays. And today is Thursday."

Would liking Mulgrew make one pre-disposed to like Hepburn? :eek:

2. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well it doesn't predispose me. I always loved The African Queen but I never followed Hepburn around fannishly watching everything she had done.

3. HoneyBLilly

HoneyBLilly Commodore Commodore

I only liked Guess Who's Coming to Dinner and Lion in Winter. Beyond that I haven't seen her in much. She is a brilliant actress though

I never saw The African Queen though. And my mom owned that. Huh, strange.

4. Dancing Doctor

Dancing Doctor Admiral Admiral

One thing I find fascinating is the difference between Hepburn and Mulgrew, in regards to personal life and beliefs.

5. teacake

Which are? LOLOL I have no idea for either. I just like the pretty pictures :rommie:

6. Dancing Doctor

Katharine Hepburn was an atheist who agreed with Christian principles and thought quite a bit of Jesus, and who supported several "left" or "liberal" policies, especially family planning (probably inherited from her parents).

Kate Mulgrew is a devout Roman Catholic who is strongly pro-life and anti-death penalty.

7. teacake

8. teacake

Oh yeah I read that about her supporting Feminists for Life and being anti death penalty.

(I have no idea about Hepburn since I have not followed her at all.)

This was an interesting quote from Mulgrew I will have to drop into the next "Where are teh gays" thread:

"I've approached [Berman] many, many times over the years about getting a gay character on the show--one whom we could really love, not just a guest star. Y'know, we had blacks, Asians, we even had a handicapped character-- and so I thought, this is now beginning to look a bit absurd. And he said, 'In due time.' And so, I'm suspecting that on Enterprise they will do something to this effect. I couldn't get it done on mine. And I am sorry for that."
    Kate Mulgrew, to Out in America, August 2002

And of course.. NOTHING ever happened on ENT either!

J.J. will have to be the one to dint that final frontier.

9. Dancing Doctor

I hate to say it, but I do kinda agree with her. I'm not sure what that says about Trek fans, or about the writers/producers, that in order to be taken seriously as a starship commander, a woman can't have sex. Or, at least, not with her second-in-command.

I liked it though. "And, they gave me...the holodeck. Oh yes, they punished me."

I knew about Hepburn's political views before Mulgrew's, actually, because I hadn't yet gotten beyond "Janeway, the character".

I admire her for that. It's not easy to argue for something like that, particularly when there would be so much opposition.

(Interestingly, she didn't address the comparative lack of women in Star Trek, which has always disappointed me. I'm not ashamed to say that I'm a feminist.)

We had...Rajiin. Because Space Lesbianism Is Hot. Space Gayness Is Not.

NuKirk/NuSpock. NuKirk/NuBones.

You know that people are already shipping them together. Of course, should something like that happen, the OUTRAGE FROM TREK FANS WOULD BE GINORMOUS! BECAUSE KIRK CAN'T BE TEH GHEYZ!

10. teacake

Of course Picard couldn't have sex with Riker either.. but that wasn't the point, LOL

I believe Mulgrew has stated that she is not a feminist, though her definition and mine may wildly differ. Certainly she is quite forthcoming about the responsibility she felt portraying the first woman captain. That quote was from an interview with a gay magazine so I assume that's why the topic is addressed directly without the whole women issue included.

My default setting is old school second wave feminist though I keep myself open to what third wave has to say that contradicts that default setting. I won't crap on about it too much here though as there's too much potential for a shit storm and for misunderstandings. Also labels only go so far, I'm sure I'd have to turn in my second wave badge because of a few of my leanings.

::carefully avoids details::

I think NuSpock was the slashiest character ever.

Do people still get outraged about slash? I thought they had given up by now, :rommie:

11. froot

I thought K/S was the oldest 'ship in the history of 'ships. :lol: Did people get outraged about it?

Anyways, I don't think nuKirk and Spock are going to hook up anytime soon; seems like Uhura's in the way.

Re: Janeway not allowed to have copious amounts of sex: I dunno. I'm always of two minds on the issue. On one hand: I think her getting together with Chakotay could have been possible, if had they dealt with all the bajillion gazillion issues that would have brought up (or had them hook up in the last episode.) I mean, the ship is in a rather unique situation after all. On the other, I sort of like her tragic loneliness and focus on the greater goal. Do I think it's bad that she would get judged a bit differently than Kirk if she had more sex? Sure. But I also cringe when people claim she's less feminine just because she doesn't have a ton of sex. She's on a mission, people.

Some fanfics imply this and it drives me mad.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2011
  12. Dancing Doctor

Don't be so sure ;) :guffaw:

Oh, I had figured that. I'm just surprised that the lack of women in Star Trek hasn't been brought up more often.

I've been accused, in TNZ, in the past, of being a second waver. Granted, I then had to go look up what a second wave feminist is, but...

I had never really thought about NuSpock like that...

Only if the slash stays away. Once it's even mentioned, then all those fans who can't handle teh gheynez go berserk.

It is, as far as I know.

Only if they know about it.

Space threesome?

Also, pattern enhancers.

13. froot

:guffaw::guffaw::guffaw::guffaw:

Poor Crusher looks destroyed. :guffaw: And the Klingon. Brilliant. Is that the same guy that made Data do creepy, filthy paintings?

EDIT: Yes. Yes it is.

Also, pattern enhancers.

14. Dancing Doctor

I think that stood out the most for me. Because Dr. Crusher is my favorite character. And P/C is my favorite ship.

:wtf: :eek: :ack:

:eek:

[​IMG]

15. froot

:guffaw::guffaw:

And they're even ribbed, for... easier, more effective transports. :rofl:

And I guess I should elaborate: the guy who made that YouTube vid did a whole raftload of TNG edits, including an episode where Data made... um, interesting paintings. And Picard is a creeper who spies on everyone with his monitor.

http://www.jandrewedits.com/

16. Dancing Doctor

"Better enhancement of transporter pattern reception" is the term. ;) :lol:

Oh. :lol: :eek:

17. JanewayRulz!

JanewayRulz! Vice Admiral Admiral

Agree whole heartedly!

Speaking of Janeway's lovers... I like this part of the Dragon con appearence.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSTpJ900uMs&feature=related

"Outer planetary visits, indeed." :bolian:

18. HoneyBLilly

"If Janeway had had the man of her dreams the series would have lasted a long long long time."

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

She has a point though, men have been in power so long that having a woman with equal strength and authority but showing that she can love passionately and be loved passionately back is like taboo. It's a tough cookie to crack. We can blame Elizabeth I, she was so sure that if she got married her husband would take control of her country.

19. Dancing Doctor

Elizabeth I was probably right, unfortunately. :(

Anyway, I've been having a somewhat hard morning, and I have to say...thank the Prophets for COFFEE, the finest organic suspension ever devised...(except for Diet Coke, of course).

20. HoneyBLilly

Yeah, she was right but that was the first woman in major power once Cleopatra. Now it's hard wired into our subconscious that we can't love and rule. Sadly.

Mountain Dew Code Red would beat Diet Coke in a thumb wrestling match. :lol::rofl:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.