Does anyone think that this whole thing was..

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Tuvok, Aug 27, 2009.

1. Tuvok

Tuvok Lieutenant Red Shirt

...was time way of Saying to Daniels and the Futureguy stop messing with me!

I mean time loops and travel has been done time and time again in the Primeverse. I know the Timecops ( a concept I despise) bounce around time to keep their perfect future intact.

Lets say time is a living thing. And it has these 'bugs' time distortions occur again and again. What if? As a living thing it decides to fix those future folk and their meddling forever. It causes an event that Daniels and the Timecops don't see coming. A rip in time that catches them unaware wiping them and their meddling ways out of their perfect future. Giving it same peace at last.

Yeah, yeah it's meant to be an alternate timeline, but let's be honest the NuTrek verse will be the only media representation for a while.

2. Sector 7

Sector 7 Vice Admiral Admiral

I would not have it any other way. We all have our favorite DVDs, etc. for trips down Memory Lane, but I am ready for new adventures.:techman:

3. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

I love my old Trek and watch it on a regular basis. But it is time for something new and fresh. Long live the new Trek universe!!!

4. PhasersOnStun

PhasersOnStun Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Amen! :)

5. barnaclelapse

barnaclelapse Commodore Commodore

That's fine with me, although we'll hopefully see the original universe come back here and there. I think there ought to be room for everyone once this new universe gets a little more established.

6. milo bloom

milo bloom Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The varied and beautiful Chicagoland suburbs.
    Perhaps the same force that directs Sam Beckett and The Doctor to trouble spots in time?

7. Tuvok

Tuvok Lieutenant Red Shirt

Q?

8. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Vice Admiral Admiral

Trelane.

9. Sector 7

The Great Bird of the Galaxy.

10. Captain_Rogers

Captain_Rogers Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I love how people cling to the "it's an alternate timeline" form of denial. Or better yet the repeated comments about "prime universe" as if it's their way of dealing with the reality of what we have now.

It's not some parallel timeline, THIS is the prime universe, altered by changes made to it, but still the prime universe.

Early on the writers said in an interview in great detail that time travel was like it occurred in Back to the Future.

Sorry to break it to people but this IS the "prime universe" and it took a different direction the second time around.

11. barnaclelapse

Boy, I bet you feel better now that you got that off your chest.

It was obviously tearing your heart in two seeing so many people operate under such a terrible delusion.

You're a hero, sir, for having the courage to say what has obviously been on everyone's mind.

12. Tralah

Tralah Wasting Time Until May 2009 Fleet Captain

You better tell the people at Cryptic that who are making the upcoming Star Trek Online game.

http://www.startrekonline.com/startrek_xi

This is a fictional universe. All of this is make believe. There's no reason why there can't be two time lines.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2009
  13. PhasersOnStun

PhasersOnStun Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Thanks for the link! I think the most telling paragraph is this one:

"So how can the movie and STO be in different realities? When working on Star Trek, screenwriters Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman referenced the theory of quantum mechanics, which allows for the simultaneous existence of parallel timelines and universes. Parallel universes are self-contained, separate realities that exist as a consequence of different choices and outcomes. This concept was explored in the TNG episode "Parallels," in which there were thousands of alternate timelines (and thousands of Enterprises!). It also is seen in the Mirror Universe, which is a darker take on the world of the Federation."

This will help me cling to my form of denial. ;)

Didn't you see Galaxy Quest? ;)

Orren

14. Captain_Rogers

At least for ME...I don't really care.

One, it's a fictional universe anyway. And secondly, I never ranted on forums that my childhood memories had been raped, which I think is a bit delusional in some people's case. I was able to enjoy the old and the new without it becoming a matter of such personal umbrage.

15. Tralah

Tralah Wasting Time Until May 2009 Fleet Captain

We seem to be on the same page when it comes to that. I just find it odd you'd consider people delusional for referring to the alternate time line and the prime time line. I'm quite the fan of both of them. Some fans do seem weirdly outraged at the events that happened in the movie, but they're a part of a small, fanatic minority (I hope!).

16. Sector 7

Yes, I did see Galaxy Quest. It is still one of my favorite Trek movies!:techman:

17. Captain_Rogers

it's directed more at the people who HAVE done the "my childhood memories have been raped" crowd, and use the whole prime universe/alternate universe explanation to say this film isn't valid or Star Trek "canon".

It seems to be the Trek equivalent of sticking your fingers in your ears and going "LALALALALALALALALALA I can't hear you"

personally, I think it's stupid.

I've got Season one and the movie collection on BR, and all 3 of the original seasons on DVD. One "timeline" doesn't invalidate my enjoyment of the other.

I'll be enjoying both until I breathe my last.

18. Tom Riley

Tom Riley Commodore Commodore

Great, so since you and everyone here are clearly in agreement about liking both the original and new star trek stuff, and you say it won't invalidate your enjoyment, why say anything about it? :bolian:

19. barnaclelapse

Exactly. I've never been a fanatic about anything like this. I just like the concept of being able to have two distinctive points of view prevail, and I don't appreciate being called delusional because I choose to believe something contrary to what someone else thinks.

As far as I can tell, this is a forum. I enjoy discussing and examining aspects of fiction. I don't put a lot of desperate thought into my opinions, and I don't carry them into some kind of maddening twitch in my left eye when I head out into the real world.

The worst I can say about myself is that I get a little annoyed when someone dismisses the validity of an opinion or argument because it has to do with something that's fictional. I think you take a lot away from artistic expression when you dismiss the idea of a serious conversation about it because it's not real. Star Trek, in its own way, is an artistic endeavor. I don't think there's anything wrong with arguing a few points back and forth and pretending for a second that it means something. I think that's half the fun of anything to do with art, interpreting the creative thoughts of others.

Lunatics who have no concept of reality make me a little uneasy as well. However, I still don't appreciate my opinion being dismissed by someone whose own thoughts on the matter are no more right or wrong than mine.

Okay, I'm done with my little rant. I'm moving this Saturday, so I'm probably just dealing in a little too much stress.

Shots of whiskey for everyone. :techman:

20. seigezunt

seigezunt Vice Admiral Admiral

Hell, there's enough alternate timelines for everybody if you read the novels...