It's official! Neil Gaiman episode to feature...(spoilers)

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by The Nth Doctor, Nov 7, 2012.

1. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Last warning...

Cybermen!

BBC Link

Between this and Matt Smith's recent comment, promising this will be a fan favorite, colored me super excited! Hopefully Gaiman will finally make the Cybermen interesting again! :D

2. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Awesome! Also, note that at the end of the article they say the second half of the season starts in "spring 2013." So I guess after the Christmas special we'll have to wait for the traditional Easter premiere? Good thing Easter 2013 is in March.

3. HappyDayRiot

HappyDayRiot Commodore Commodore

Jason Watkins? Cybermen?

Excellent!

4. Ood Sigma

Ood Sigma Commander Red Shirt

Anyone else find the phrase "Jenna-Louise Coleman as the new companion" (emphasis mine) sort of odd? Not giving a name to the character may lend credence to the rumors that she may be playing multiple different characters throughout the series.

5. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

Warwick Davis, also from Willow?

6. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

And that small movie, what was it called something like Returns of the Jedis or something. Don't remember.

7. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Sounds promising. I hope it means we'll end up with something more along the lines of Big Finish's creepy "Spare Parts", and less marching robots.

8. Mitty

Mitty Vice Admiral Admiral

Yep, the fact Coleman doesn't yet have a name obviously means something's up. Almost certainly somehow she will be related to Oswin.

I'd bet my house that the Doctor will work out somethings up when she mentions souffle. I'll be dreadfully dissapointed if that's not how he works out it's actually the same person, perhaps split over multiple time periods like Scarlioni in "City of Death".

9. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Ooh, cloth-faced Cybermen, creepiest ones ever. I rolled my eyes at first glance, but, 2 minutes into the first appearance of them, and I was sold. And then recently listening to Spare Parts and being treated to them being the Cloth-Faced ones, just added to the creepiness of the Audioplay.

I wonder if Today's audience would "Get" the Cloth-Faced Cybermen or only roll their eyes?

10. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

man, i've been wanting a proper Cybermen story for ages. cameos and team ups with goofy sidekicks just don't cut it.

11. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

12. Peacemaker

Peacemaker Vice Admiral Admiral

Set Report from GB: From Timeboy;
    "BRAND NEW CYBERMEN! Very similar to the Cybus ones, but they have tighter armour and Tomb of the Cybermen-like faces!!!! Really shiny"

"The armour is like slim-fitted rubber, similar to the new Sontarans, but silver. Guns fixed on arms, and the leader has an extra gun"

"They're walking softly, slowly, and quietly, like the Hartnell/Troughton era Cybermen"

13. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Awesome news. As much as I like the current Cybermen design, the constant stomping around DID get awfully annoying after awhile.

14. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

[DALEK VOICE]SPOILERS! WE DEMAND SPOILERS![/DALEK VOICE]

It seems the title is The Last Cyberman, fascinating.

15. zarkon

zarkon Captain Captain

Brilliant news.

Now if they can just change the voices...

16. Peacemaker

There are a couple of sketches in the set reports section at GB, no actual photos yet. The description is correct. The abdomen is basically the Cybus abdomen. The chest piece reminds me of a harness, with the disk in the center having an iris (maybe a weapon). The head is very Tomb of the Cybermen. The legs are reminiscent of the Cybus, but leaner and toned down. The arms remind me of the Sontaran uniform.

17. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Now dats what I'm talkin bout!

18. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Hmm...interesting...

And if the title is The Last Cyberman I wonder if it'll be a bit like Dalek?

19. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Hopefully Gaiman does something good with them, I find Daleks and Cybermen don't excite me much these days.

20. Peacemaker

More from Timeboy (I'll say SQUEE): Back to some actual spoilers rather than the "opposition" (you've got to laugh)

The new Cybermen are amazing! I got right up close, but was asked by the castle workers not to take any photos, so I didn't. The castle was open to the public as normal.

They really are stunning. Less knight, armour-like, and more tight silver rubber. The material looked like it was the same as the new series Sontarans, sprayed silver. It was quite a bit like the Cybermen from The Invasion, especially on the arms and lets. They have what looks like a small chest gun in the form of a camera iris sort of shape, kind of strapped onto their chest. They've got guns on their arms like the ones in Army of Ghosts. The head is less angular than the Cybus design, and more smooth and rounded like in Tomb of the Cybermen. They have the corrugated ear pieces, although its very subtle. The mouth is similar to the Tomb design too. It looks like more of a rubber mask than the Cybus "helmets". The handlebars and teardrop eye are still there. The hands look like a man with tight silver washing up gloves on!

They move slowly, although its still in an organised manner, with a choreographer on set. They don't stop at all. They calmly wander towards Clara, almost like zombies. One thing I found a bit distracting was the squeaky noise! Because they're made out of some sort of rubber (shoes included), and obviously they've just been made, there was a really annoying noise. Like when you get a new pair of trainers!

They really have cherry picked the best components of all the Cybermen designs. They've managed to make them more, dare I say it, cloth-like, than I ever thought would be acceptable in 2012/13. There's also a bit of continuity between the Cybus design and these ones, such as the handlebars, teardrops and some of the abdominal section of the suit. But there's no longer any black wiring underneath (as far as I could tell), and they look much slimmer and less bulkier than the Cybusmen. It looks like its only made up of a few pieces, compared to all the sections of arm, leg and chest armour the previous designs had. Looking at the series 2-6 Cybermen now, they look rubbish! They've got the design spot on. They'll go down very well on here I think.

In terms of the scene filmed... The Cybermen appear out of smoke towards Clara, creeping slowly towards her. She grabs a mace, and swings it all over the place, hitting them. It doesn't do anything, so she accepts defeat and throws the mace away in anger, then dodges the Cybermen and escapes! Army people with big guns come and shoot the Cybermen, and the Cybermen fire their arm guns back, hitting some of the soldiers.