(UEFA) Football Thread - Football not Soccer

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by Jax, Apr 1, 2008.

1. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

I don't mind it, we could have come up with something better bu the new BBG wouldn't have sounded right, imo.

2. HappyDayRiot

HappyDayRiot Commodore Commodore

^ At least your lot bothered to name their new stadium - the 'Cardiff City Stadium' anyone!?

Having seen my most hated rival get promoted last season - not to mention becoming Premier League media darlings as a result - makes me disagree with this entirely. Most-hated rivals should suffer and suffer a lot. To think, Swansea were 90 minutes away from dropping out of the entire league system 10 years. Happy times. I'll settle for them being beaten every week in the PL for now, just a shame they're safe from relegation now. And administration, which they used to clear their heavy debts...twice.

So who are Leicester's proper rivals? Do they even have any?

3. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Coventry or Northampton should be :lol:

4. { Emilia }

{ Emilia } Cute but deadly Moderator

5. Roger Wilco

Roger Wilco Admiral Admiral

Shit. Is this sort of thing happening more often recently or do people just give more attention to it?

6. HappyDayRiot

Neither, I'd say. It is thankfully rare enough that when it happens it is out of the ordinary and is treated as the tragedy that it is.

That is harsh :D Even more so, seeing as their loss today means they're staying in this league to try and fail again next year, and won't even have League One-bound Coventry to beat up on either.

7. Roger Wilco

It's just that I never heard of such a thing happening until a few years ago (in fact to be exact this man's death was the first time it came to my attention). And it's happened a bunch of times since then. But since none of those incidents were linked to drugs (EPO would come to mind for example) I have to assume it's a coincidence.

8. { Emilia }

{ Emilia } Cute but deadly Moderator

First I remember was Marc-Vivien Foé but from what I read it's always happened. It's just rare.

Even rarer in Italy since the Italian leagues have a much stricter system of cardiac tests and monitoring than any other league in the world. It helped bring the number of deaths down by a lot but... it still happens. :/

I think the Premier League discussed putting a similar system in place after Muamba's heart attack.

9. Roger Wilco

Very nice match Baydln-Real yesterday, fun to watch especially for me as a mostly neutral observer. Real probably is still the favourite to advance, but not a sure thing anymore.

10. HappyDayRiot

I didn't see that one, first CL semi I've missed it in a very long time. I'm glad Bayern won though, however slender a lead it is. I was buy following Cardiff v Derby - thanks for the points guys. And thank you Frank Fielding, the goalkeeper who let our captain - a central defender - score an astonishing strike/lob from 68 yards out

Also, this excellent article about Morosini http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2012/apr/15/piermario-morosini-livorno-serie-b-italy He seems like he was a great guy despite having a life of sadness.

11. Angel4576

Angel4576 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hey, anything we can do to make sure that Leicester don't sneak into the playoffs...... :lol:

12. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

And they can't now, oh dear what a pity... ;)

13. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

PFA Awards last night and for the most part they got things right IMO though my XI team is a little different to theirs. For me...

Friedel

Walker, Kompany, Coloccini, Baines

Ben Arfa, Parker, Cabaye, Bale

Van Persie, Rooney

14. Roger Wilco

OMFG! Anyone watching Barca-Chelsea? One of the most remarkable games I've ever seen. Not the best soccer ever, but unbelievable drama.

15. Angel4576

Angel4576 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

My reaction to Barcelona's elimination.....

[​IMG]

16. Yoda

Yoda Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That was fantastic viewing. Couldn't have scripted it better.

17. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Barca will complain about negative football but then defending is an art and Barcelona are SHIT at it :lol: Pep needs to buy a Left Back and another Centre Back next season you have enough forwards FFS :p

Chelsea will be missing Ivanovic, Ramires, Terry and Meireles for the final + it could get worse if Luiz and Cahill don't return from injury. Also Terry is a complete prick after that challenge he doesn't deserve to ever touch the CL trophy, digusting.

18. HappyDayRiot

Will Fabregas ever win anything of importance?

19. SmoothieX

SmoothieX Vice Admiral Admiral

They are even playing highlights on ESPN here that this game was a big upset. So if foreign soccer news is near the top of the program in the states, it must be a real big deal over there.

Another question from dumb American sports fan here: Do your teams have names? Is it the Barcelona ____ vs. the Chelsea _____ ?

Here it would be the Yankees playing the Red Sox as opposed to just New York vs. Boston, for example.

20. Roger Wilco

Depends. In those two cases it's FC Barcelona (Futbol Club) vs Chelsea F.C. (Football Club), but it's not a general rule.

eta: and no "the" please, just "Barcelona vs Chelsea".