Small things you'd've liked to've happened in TNG

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Dixie Flatline, Nov 11, 2013.

1. Chensams

Chensams Vice Admiral Admiral

I wish we would have had more references to past episodes or characters. Like Data mentioning Lal from time to time.

On the note, I wish the emotion chip wasn't introduced. Have Data develop emotions on his own and try to figure out if it is an error in his programming or is he actually growing past his programming.

2. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

Yes, I also thought the emotion chip was a bit of a mistake. It would have been nice to see Data evolve to the point were he developed emotions on his own.

3. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

I liked Picard as the Cha'DIch, it showed his diplomatic diversity but I would rather the Klingons banished the Duras after that trial, instead of banishing Klingon honor.

4. Makarov

Makarov Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I agree. Although I wouldn't mind if the emotion chip was introduced, and then destroyed.

It's kind of like, we get years of Data trying to be more human, then they just say the hell with it and drop in this "humanity chip"

5. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

Gomez was apparently supposed to be a recurring character...she appeared in one more episode ("Samaritan Snare" IIRC), but didn't come back after that for whatever reason.

6. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

Don't get me wrong, I really liked Picard as Cha'DIch, it just seems to me that based on what we'd seen up to that point it should have been Riker.

7. jibrilmudo

jibrilmudo Lieutenant Red Shirt

Trois "uniform" get explained as a Betazoid thing... or a councillor thing. Something.

An episode on Geordi's visor, who made it, something like that.

The Bynars leave random popup ads on the main Viewscreen.

Someone get caught in the Holodeck getting intimate with a holo recreation of a crew member because they forgot to insert more quarters.

For the enterprise to run out of gas and they going with the shuttle to make a trip to the nearest Galactic Exxon. What does a galactic tow truck look like?

For Tom Riker to not have had a beard.

For replicated food to be acknowledged as superior to normal food.

More data the bartender. Dispensing drinks and definitions.

Take the enterprise through a drive thru and seeing them eat takeout on the bridge.

8. Leviathan

Leviathan Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

...have someone, anyone, at tactical interrupt the bridge conversation, point upwards, and ask "Why the hell do we have a skylight in here? You guys know our enemies use directed energy weapons and I'm standing RIGHT UNDER this thing right? Right?"

9. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

Frakes could have grown the beard back over the summer break, so film all the Will scenes, then shave clean, then film all the Tom scenes. It would have been great.

I'd have gone the opposite way with the replicator food, have repeated running jokes of people new to the ship taste the replicated food, show alarm at the flavor, then choke it down and display a obvious forced smile.

:)

10. borgboy

borgboy Commodore Commodore

I thought there was some kind of acknowledgement that counselors were allowed to dress informally. Maybe that was from a novel, maybe it's in an episode.
    Barclay pretty much did get caught in the holodeck. There wasn't any NC 17 content, but it was pretty obvious what he was doing and going to do.

11. jibrilmudo

jibrilmudo Lieutenant Red Shirt

Yeah, but it was TV clean:lol:

12. LMFAOschwarz

LMFAOschwarz Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Ah, yes...but I've always believed tv should end where imagination begins. Otherwise, there would be no imagination!

13. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    Deanna said she dressed informally to make her patients feel more at ease. Obviously Jellico felt that was unprofessional and told her to wear her proper uniform.

14. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

So glad he did, she looked much better.

I'd lived to have seen more aliens in the background, throw in the occasional Vulcan or bumpy-headed alien, something to give the ship more diversity.

15. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

^I agree with both of those points too.

16. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

I long felt the same way, but have more recently come to terms with the issue. Picard in the role worked better actor-wise, and worked better within the confines of that episode, as Worf would have wanted to repay Picard for the support that he'd given up that point in the story.

Recently rewatching "Ethics", I had to laugh when Worf tries to enlist Riker's aid in committing suicide. "Oh, so now he remembers that they used to be best buds back in Season 2!"

17. sonak

sonak Vice Admiral Admiral

in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination
    I'd have liked someone to bring up the issue of Troi and her "uniform" a lot earlier than Jellico did, and I'd have liked someone to ask why she was on the bridge.

Also, I wish they hadn't brought up that ridiculous "bridge commander test" into late TNG.

18. borgboy

borgboy Commodore Commodore

Troi frequently acts as an advisor to Picard. He seems to like having her on the bridge, as does everyone else for that matter.
    Jellico giving Troi and everyone else grief was interesting though, and he wasn't always completely wrong. Unpleasant as he was, I think he did push Troi to grow.

19. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

An advantage of having more aliens in the background (but not the foreground) is that their makeup wouldn't have to withstand the scrutiny of a close up, like during a face to face with a lead character.

:)

20. startrekiscool

startrekiscool Ensign Newbie

i'd like enterprise a,b,c,d and e, to meet up with ds9 and voyager to have a epic space battle against the borg, wouldnt that be so super special awesome!!!!!!!!