Season FIVE OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Aatrek, Jun 28, 2013.

1. Aatrek

Aatrek Rear Admiral

2. Start Wreck

Start Wreck Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Unexpectedly early, but it looks great! I like the colour of the box, too. :)

I look forward to the inevitable SD-HD comparison article.

3. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Can't believe we're already seeing promotion for Season 5. The trailer looked nice, and it will be great to finally get Inner Light in HD.

4. Aatrek

Aatrek Rear Admiral

We've had that in HD since January 2012 ;)

5. tomalak301

Well, some people didn't get the Next Level set because they knew the real thing would eventually come. ;)

6. Kirks_Flying_Wig

Kirks_Flying_Wig Commander Red Shirt

Has Worf been kicked by a targ? He looks cross-eyed on that cover!

7. Flake

Flake Commodore Commodore

It looks fantastic.

The CGI replacement bits of the E-D in particular are better than I could have ever imagined. There is a half-second shot in there of the Enterprise manoeuvring into the debris field from Unification. It is a fantastic shot, whoever did that needs an Emmy ASAP. Its CGI! and an improvement over the original model shot.

[​IMG]

VS

http://tng.trekcore.com/gallery/albums/s5/5x07/unificationpartone273.jpg

8. Maxwell Everett

Maxwell Everett Commodore Commodore

Looks good. So it appears that the flyby shot in BOBW II was indeed an alternate take as I originally thought... even though the window light pattern looks strangely different (though it was hard to tell with all that motion blur).

I guess the two primary changes to the CG model were adding detail to the phaser strips and to the hull to bring it more in line with the 4-footer. But no change to the deflector -- not even making the inner blue ring smaller. I wonder if this added detail was done with displacement maps or is it all real geometry that was added? A displacement map would have been far easier, of course. ;)

9. Praetorian

Praetorian Captain Captain

The scenes in the caves from Unification still look grainy... Might be a work in progress though, the rest looks amazing...

10. NewHorizon

NewHorizon Captain Captain

The CGI Enterprise D is a really nice blend of the best features from both the 4 and the 6. Really nice work on matching the shot CBS-D.

11. Maxwell Everett

Maxwell Everett Commodore Commodore

I'm afraid that's just what 500 ASA speed film looked like under those lighting conditions back then. Not much CBS-D can do other than crush the blacks (losing detail in the shadows), digitally noise reduce it (losing detail all over the image) or leave it alone. If you look closely at the trailer (even with YouTube compression) you'll notice a fairly consistent amount of grain in the dark areas of every shot -- it's just that the cave scene is intentionally under lit with a lot of shadows, so it's more apparent. :)

12. dg1379

dg1379 Commander Red Shirt

13. Praetorian

Praetorian Captain Captain

I see. Thanks for the answer! In any case, commendable work!

14. mr.peany

mr.peany Commodore Commodore

Hmmm...I kinda hope, that like the Season 3 trailer, that some of the live action shots are completed. Some of the colour correction appears way off with overblown brightness and contrast...

15. Mutai Sho-Rin

Mutai Sho-Rin Crusty Old Bastard Moderator

The fifth stuck Bluray thread. Wow!

16. tomalak301

I was wondering if we were going to sticky these threads there might be some options to not have these hog the page:

1) A TNG Blu Ray subforum with just seven threads in it. Heck, all the blu-ray stuff can go there

2) Combining some of the already stickied threads, like Seasons 1 and 2, and then 3 and 4. Then instead of 5 we only have 3 threads on this, and also considering 1 and 2 have been out the longest, it might be worth combining them anyway.

Anyway, just some suggestions or we can leave it as is. I will say though the top of the forum is getting a little cluttered.

17. jimbotron

jimbotron Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Haha, these trailers continue to get more and more tongue-in-cheek.

"....And even Wesley is back" *Beat* "Let's begin this with a show of good faith." :lol:

The 4-footer sure looks awesome when shot from above. The overhead shots from Unification and Conundrum, wooooow.

Interesting, there wasn't time for the season 4 trailer for the last Blu-ray set, and this time, the season 5 trailer is out a MONTH before the Blu-ray set.

Season 5 already, man it's almost over...

18. jimbotron

jimbotron Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Any word yet if there are any missing film elements?

I guess since we haven't heard anything about BOBW2, that the missing footage is still missing.

19. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

They aren't hogging the page. There are only five topics right now about the blurays, the biggest news ever for TNG right now or in the future. They are certainly important enough to be sticked. Merging them turns the bluray threads into one confusing mess for those following just a single season.

Also this forum really doesn't have much activity at all, the first page has posts from as far back a week ago. It's not like it's pushing off any super interesting TNG topics or anything.

Sticking each season Bluray thread is fine, I say.

20. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

Why? Are we running perilously low on room to post another "X: Line by Line" thread or the lastest news on the series?

Also, if you combine all the threads, a good chunck of them won't make sense. A season 2 post will be between two season 1 posts and then a season 3 post will come in out of nowhere followed by a tweet from TNG Season 8. CHAOS.