MASS EFFECT: Spiritual successor to Star Trek?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by SpaceLama, Aug 22, 2009.

1. Trubinator

Trubinator Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And with good reason ... just look at iTunes. You pay to download something, but if your hard drive croaks you can't redownload it. The same applies to services like Steam where you are required to have their files to play the games. What happens when that service dies? You are fucked.

When the technology and services get better, yeah, the market will gravitate toward the new. But for now...

2. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

I've lost one of the seven Klingon Academy discs and Interplay went out of business. You see my point here ?

At the very least, Valve had always said that if anything ever happened to them they'd push out an update unlocking everything you'd ever bought. Just like any data, however, backing up is essential.

3. Jim Steele

Jim Steele Vice Admiral Admiral

Simply untrue. I know because I've re-downloaded an entire itunes library myself.

Right, I'm going to refuse to use a service based on the unknowable possibility that the company running it will fold and take the service with it some time in the future. Paranoid much?

Newsflash: The market is already gravitating to these new business models. Hell, more music is sold through itunes than any of the traditional channels now. Gravitated would probably be more appropriate.

4. dark angel_707

dark angel_707 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

With XBL and PSN you can re-download the DLC as much as you want for free and its very unlikely these 2 companies going out of business. One thing that does bother me is retarded gamers who defend poor quality or poor value DLC. The usually crap about "wanting everything for free or wanting to steal it", rolling their piggy eyes. Saints row 2 DLC missions were very poor value, even the 2 DLC that was reduced but anyone said anything on some forums were shouted down with the above excuses. Its the same as the SW: Farce unleashed DLC missions 800 MS points (£6.80) for something that takes about 30 to 40 minutes to complete) The real danger of digital downloads is full games being sold for full price as an digital download. Its not light years away but devs and publishers want this so you can't sell your game or lend to a friend. This is the only digital download I'm against as I sell my games when they are finished or bored of them. Eg Mass effect is £10-£12 brand new in shops but on XBL is £19.99 for a download

5. Jim Steele

Yeah but that's just the kind of twat that'll defend any old rubbish to justify their purchase.

6. JonathonWally

JonathonWally Admiral Admiral

I agree, as much as I enjoyed the game and the DLC, 800 points for that DLC wasn't worth it IMO. Maybe at half the price.

Whereas the Fable 2 stuff I thought was worth it.

As far as I can remember, those are the only 2 DLC packs i've bought. Aside from Rock Band tracks.

7. dark angel_707

opps forgot to say as when gamers pay whatever for poor quality or OTT price content, publishers will take it as green light to keep doing. EA and Namco are good example, people pay for cheats and skins and they keep doing it

8. Trubinator

I lost the entire 5th season of 24 after paying $50 for it because they limited the number of machines you could put it on. And at that time, they wouldn't allow you to burn downloadable media like movies and TV onto discs.

Yep, you should. Just look at how GameSpy titles and other server based (e.g. non-direct IP) games fizzle out after a year or so. The companies simply determine the interest isn't there anymore, shut the servers down and make it so you can't play online anymore. Count in the fact many games don't allow LAN anymore and it doesn't paint a pretty picture.

Incorrect. Expansions still outnumber DLC in the PC market. I'd advise you to check out the Stardock CEO's blogs in the Demigod forums. He frequently posts about the state of the industry and why certain developers use expansion packs versus DLC campaigns. The industry is in flux, hence "gravitating."

There's no need to be an asshole to make your point.

9. Jim Steele

Um... I was responding to a comment about "retarded gamers". You gonna chastise dark angel_707 too? :rolleyes:

10. dark angel_707

gamers that shout down others with crap excuses defending a game with there life are "twats/arseholes etc". Can't see the problem didn't insult anyone on here did I? No

11. Jim Steele

'zactly. Not saying you deserve chastising, just wondering what the hell prompted me being called an arsehole in that instance.

12. Trubinator

His seemed like more of a general comment, but yes. I don't think there's any need for name calling here.

13. Rii

Rii Rear Admiral

What, we need a reason now? ;)

14. Jim Steele

My comment was equally as general. I don't get where you're coming from.

15. Trubinator

Nevermind then.