Trek 11 at the Superbowl!

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Devon, Jan 9, 2009.

1. Star Treks

Star Treks Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

You're probably right, but I'd stilll be disappointed.

Obviously Super Bowl ads are not primarily targeted toward the hardcore Trek geek who will have already seen the trailer... but still, if you're going to spend MILLIONS of dollars, it seems like doing something more creative than a slimmed-down version of the trailer would be a good idea... it will prevent disappointment for regular fans, and if the material is well-chosen could be just as effective at interesting more casual viewers. And remember, plenty of casuals will have already seen the trailer before Bond or The Day The Earth Stood Still or any other number of movies, or on tv... so I really think the smart thing would be to choose something new. If the movie is 2 hours surely they can extract another new 30 seconds of good footage?

The Modus Operandi of Super Bowl commercials is that they are never-before-seen (except a few in a commercial preview thing online or on tv or something) so a rehash of the trailer would really be underwhelming.

2. MisterPL

MisterPL Commander Red Shirt

If it were up to me, there wouldn't be ANY movie footage.

I'd treat it just like any other Super Bowl ad and make it unique, not just a truncated trailer.

Shoot the ad on the bridge. Spock, Sulu, Uhura and Chekhov are watching the game on that kickass, wide-screen, hi-def monitor they've got. (You know, "the window.") Anyway, Scotty and Bones show up with some ale and everyone cheers.

Suddenly, Kirk steps onto the bridge and everyone freezes, staring at him with worried looks. He glances around quickly at the drinks on the consoles, the veggie platter next to Spock, and the bags of chips cluttering the Captain's chair.

He breaks the silence by saying, "Was I supposed to bring the chicken wings?"

Cut to: May 2009 - Star Trek.
    This is not your father's Enterprise.

Cut back to bridge. Turbolift doors open revealing an upset William Shatner saying, "Nobody invited ME?!"

3. dkehler

dkehler Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Heh, not bad, not bad! :lol:

4. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

Perfect except for one thing. Nimoy needs to be on the bridge. The turbolift doors open and it's Shatner. But instead of Shatner saying anything, and before he can step out, Old Spock notices him and says, "I'm sorry, sir, but this is a private party," and shuts the doors on him.

5. datas_cat_spot

datas_cat_spot Captain Captain

Think we'll see some new footage but mostly just different actions cuts.

They still have to operate under the assumption people don't already know about the movie, at the same time an edited down trailer (like what aired during Fringe) doesn't do much for people who've already seen the trailer.

A special TV spot with the Super Bowl actually integrated into it could possibly be more effective, but I doubt they'd go to the trouble.

6. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

:lol: I like it. :bolian:

7. Kryton

Kryton Admiral Admiral

Actually, the SB is frequently the only place and time to see a lot of the super-creative spots in a longer form. Advertisers can and have run spots as long as 2 minutes or so.

The year Pepsi did the 3-D glasses gimmick, which worked "okay" on produced video but was a disaster in the live half-time show, those spots were much longer than the versions that ran as part of the standard campaign afterward. So yeah, depending on the goals of P'mount, you COULD see a spot running as long as that this year.

8. btflash

btflash Captain Captain

i hope it's stuff we haven't seen before. maybe a different enterprise........ i can dream can't i?

9. StarTrek1701

StarTrek1701 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I don't know what you are trying to say. Honest. :p

10. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

I like this. :lol:

11. CommanderRaytas

CommanderRaytas DISCO QUEEEEEEN Rear Admiral

Intergalactic Planetary Planetary Intergalactic

I wasn't trying to dismiss the whole thing, or to play it down, I just never watched it and sometimes wonder why Americans are so crazy about it, that's all. I don't really watch television, being more of a dvd kind of person, so even during the months I lived in America, I didn't get much in terms of sports culture- I still don't get it why American football matches come to a halt every few seconds.

So....if we called the World Cup "Super Cup" instead, would you lot watch it then? :p

12. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

:guffaw:

13. CommanderRaytas

Like the "World Series", a terminology that never ceases to puzzle me. World? Really?

14. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

I think the reason for that name is totally lost in time, but it can involve a team from Canada, and you could argue that the worlds best players in the majors, so its like a World Series.

what gets me is the World Baseball Classic, so called because it started in 2006 and plays once every 4 years. I dont mean the idea of a baseball world cup every 4 years, but where do they get Classic from?

15. CommanderRaytas

No idea, never heard of it until now. Because the idea of having a world cup every four years is sort of....uh, classic, perhaps? Could be.

Maybe whoever made that up just thought it sounded nice.

16. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

that or does not know what "classic" means.

and there is no British team in the World Baseball Classic

17. CommanderRaytas

Well then it really can't be classic at all, now, can it? :)

18. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

I dont think its the lack of British team being in it that makes it not a Classic, its the fact its all of 3 years old, and even when it was first launched it was called Classic.

anyways dragging this thread back on topic Superbowl, go Red Sox

19. CommanderRaytas

I was only joking, you know.

Red who?

20. darkshadow0001

darkshadow0001 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That would be awesome. But I feel that non-Trek fans are not going to care :( When I went to see Quantum of Solace for the first full-trailer preview, no one in the theatre even gave any kind of sound about it. Which surprised me.