Trek 11 at the Superbowl!

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Devon, Jan 9, 2009.

1. Devon

Devon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

TrekMovie.com and Variety are reporting that Star Trek 11 will be getting ad time during Superbowl 43 on February 1.

This is extremely important for Star Trek as the Superbowl is the most watched annual television event, with last year's ratings setting an all time high of nearly 100 Million viewers, an upward trend the Superbowl has enjoyed for a long time now.

It is unclear how long the ad will be or what it will contain. 30 second promotional spots can cost an estimated $3 Million dollars. It is also important to note that the Superbowl is also noted for its commercials, drawing in massive amounts of non-football fans to the event.

More info here:
    http://trekmovie.com/2009/01/08/star-trek-movie-getting-super-bowl-commercial/

2. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've been saying all along that they'd do this if they're serious about this thing being a "tentpole" - remember back when folks were hyperventilating about the lack of a "Star Trek" presentation at San Diego Comic-Con and how that would damage the project's visibility? ;)

3. Jackson_Roykirk

Jackson_Roykirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think it's a smart move. You can't get much more mainstream than the Superbowl...all ages and all demographics will be watching. I'll be eager to see a new and entertaining ST ad during the Superbowl.

...and if my Pittsburgh Steelers make it that far, I'll really be happy.

EDIT TO ADD:
    Does anyone know if Iron Man advertised during last year's game?

Last edited: Jan 9, 2009
  4. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

Yes. Iron Man aired in the 1st quarter.

5. Kryton

Kryton Admiral Admiral

Normally I try not to be such a pedant, but the event is, in fact, TWO words and not one.

"Super Bowl"

Otherwise, kewl! :techman: Looking forward to it.

6. Steven Of Nine

Steven Of Nine Commodore Commodore

Almost a reason to watch the Super Bowl. Except the ad will almost assuredly be online if not by then, shortly after then.

7. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yep, and folks still remember that. :techman:

I'm so old, though, that I saw the Apple "1984" commercial during the Super Bowl.

8. Jackson_Roykirk

Dammit -- you are of course correct, and I don't see that as being "too" pedantic. ;) I basically write for a living (I'm a consultant in the building design industry) and strive to be more accurate and precise with my writing.

At least I got "Iron Man" right, which is also two words.

I'm also old enough to remember that, mostly because I thought the woman with the hammer was "hot". Then again I was young enough to think any athletic woman with a white tank top and larger-than-average boobs was hot (and 20+ years later, I still think she was hot.)

9. MisterPL

MisterPL Commander Red Shirt

Can't they just show as much as they can during the halftime show? It's gotta be better than Justin Timberlake exposing some chick's tit.

10. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Now they're going to say that Paramount is overcompensating by paying for the most expensive time slot of the year. And that people who like sports shouldn't be allowed to come anywhere near Star Trek because they'll ruin everything. :lol:

11. datas_cat_spot

datas_cat_spot Captain Captain

Paramount continues to show it really is taking this seriously. The tentpole budget, pushing it back, the early marketing and promotion, and now the coveted ad space. They just need to keep it up all the way to the finish. I expect to see a new trailer in a couple months time too.

12. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I guess I far as Bowls go, it's a decent Bowl.

And I've also read today that The Transformers and GIJoe will be having trailer launches at the Super Bowl as well.

13. CommanderRaytas

CommanderRaytas DISCO QUEEEEEEN Rear Admiral

Intergalactic Planetary Planetary Intergalactic
    I never found out what exactly this Super Bowl is and why Americans go crazy about it like they do. I mean, theoretically I know it's a tv thing covering a sports event and some other performances, but I never got why it's such a big deal.

Good though, that since it obviously is a big deal, Trek's part of it. :)

14. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Hey, I'm a Steelers fan, too!:)

15. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think part of it is the word "Super" at the beginning. Things that are super are just better in countless ways. Like Superman (better than an average man) or Super Mario World (improvements from Super Mario bros. 3).

16. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Its prob one of the top 4-5 most watched events around the world. Its the championship of a American football and there are a lot of dollars tied into it(its a big snack food and drink event). In America, the roads are almost as quiet as Christmas when the Super Bowl airs. 130-140 million people watch it here, and 600 million to a billion worldwide.

RAMA

17. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, we (for the most part) don't understand why the World Cup is such a big deal, either. Seems to me they're basically the same type of thing.

18. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Good for exposure though increases the risk that ST will fail to make enough money ($3 million for an ad) thats a huge chuck of any ad money to promote an already costly movie.

Problem is the full trailer is great but 30 seconds at the most way not be enough to convince people and it could end up a huge waste of money.

19. Jackson_Roykirk

What do you think -- should a Star Trek Super Bowl ad show Nimoy or not?

Assuming that many in the Super Bowl TV audience may be a "virgin" audience when it comes to knowledge of this film, do you think TPTB want that brand-new virgin audience to know Nimoy is in this, and therefore hopefully compare the film favorably to "Familiar Trek", or do they want that virgin audience to think this is a "Whole Different Trek", thus leaving Nimoy out of it -- or at least not heavily featured?

I'm thinking that Abrams already has considered a strategy of running different ads for different demographics (i.e., an ad on the Sci-Fi Channel or G4 will feature Nimoy, but an ad running during 'Grey's Anotomy' or 'Heroes' may feature the young stars more), but into which demographic category does the Super Bowl fall?

20. clint g

clint g Admiral Admiral

I think theyre going to try and keep the old trek out of it, sort of like how they didnt include Nimoy in the movie theater trailer. It makes sense as well. Draw in the new audience by making them think that it is a new type of Trek, something that is more easily accessable since it isnt bogged down by 40 years of television. At the same time, the fans who have fallen by the wayside will probably come regardless due to curiosity and the hardcore fans are going to see it anyways regardless of the ads