Gal Gadot cast as Wonder Woman In ‘Batman Vs. Superman’

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Enterprise is Great, Dec 4, 2013.

1. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Have you ever looked at the actual runway models, at things like Paris or NY Fashion Week? Seriously, some of those women make her look fat.

I've noticed that a lot of the women you see in things SI Swimsuits, and in ads for things Victoria Secret, usually don't seem to be quite as skinny as the fashion models in fashion mags, and on the runways at fashion weeks.

2. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Flesh is not allowed to distract the buyers from the clothes.

Is what we were "told".

However if that was completely true, marionette strings would have replaced models decades ago.

3. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

^Is that really the reason they give? I think the models would be a lot less distracting if they didn't make you want to pull them off the runway and feed them.

4. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

5. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

How doesn't she match?

Female, yes Gadot is female.

Caucasian. Yes, Gadot is Caucasian. (Greeks are Caucasian as are most Israelis)

Strong and athletic. Former soldier and sports trainer, so athletic is probable. Strong is irrelevant since any feats of strength will be FX.

Black hair. Irrelevant as hair can be dyed. Gadot does have dark hair, though.

Height. Also irrelevant as the character has no consistent height. Taller than Batman????? Really?

Here a pic featuring two Wonder Women by George Perez. You'll note she's shorter than Superman and Batman.

Here's a picture of the New52 Justice League where she's almost a head shorter than Superman.

6. Guy Gardener

If Tom Cruise or Tom Hanks wanted to play Wonder Woman, no one would be able to stop them, or want to stop them.

the usual fucking double standards.

7. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

^I would want to stop them. And by heaven, no matter what it took, I would stop them.:scream:

8. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Height is pretty irrelevant considering that film makers can make anyone look 7 feet tall if they want to. You'd be surprised how many stars are put on platforms to make them look taller in a scene. (Tom Cruise, Mel Gibson)

9. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    Thank you :). Just the relief I needed from some of the asinine comments here.

10. AvBaur

AvBaur Captain Captain

Yeah, a lot of Hollywood stars are significantly shorter than you'd expect: http://www.nextmovie.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/HHC-Hi-res.jpg

11. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    They've been doing that for a long time. How tall was King Kong?

12. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

You can't count most of the New 52, especially Justice League. She's just portrayed as a brutal almost barbaric warrior in that book. They also loved to have a few hilariously stupid poses by artist Jim Lee where she';s posed in a very awkward position just to show cleavage, even when it makes no sense in the situation. New 52 Wonder Woman in her own book is easily 6'4''+, and written a lot better. Jim Lee and the other artists on the main JL book are just idiots (just like the writer), and the main Justice League book could never be called a particularly faithful portrayal of the character.

As for Perez, while I like him, you'll notice he has Batman taller than Superman in that image, which is definitely not normal. If nothing else, WW is usually drawn taller than the average guy. In general terms, look at a lot of Morrison's JLA run, where she usually is a bit taller than Batman with a good artist, or at the very least not shorter.. There is also her new 52 book, where she towers over normal sized women and is comparable to characters like Orion.

From a build perspective, Gadot is not strong looking. She's probably athletic, I'm not going to argue that. But, she's really skinny. sure, the super strength isn't going to be accurately represented by the size anyway, but she's still an Amazon warrior. She needs to be physically bigger than a runway model when it comes to build, and she's not. She has the build of a model, and thats just not WW anymore than being super fat would suit Batman. When the actress playing WW is making Scarlett Johansson's Black widow look like a legitimate threat (and she's shorter than Seth Green), something went very wrong in casting, at least from the perspective of trying to get a actress that resembles the character.

That only works so much. Besides, even if they use film tricks for height (which I doubt they'll bother to do) she's still skinnier than I'd expect even a movie version of Robin to be. WW should be a powerful looking, tall woman. Gadot is a very fragile looking woman who looks like a breeze will knock her out. If they made her appear taller, she'd just probably look odd, a woman who looks underweight and fragile for 5'9'' is not going to look any tougher or more like WW if they give her a few inches of fake height.

13. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

It actually works really damn well. Do you really think Arnie and Stallone are as tall as portrayed in their movies?

14. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

According to the The DC Comics Encyclopedia Wonder Woman is 6', Batman is 6'2", and Superman is 6'3". That seems about right given how they're usually drawn in the comics. At 5'9" Gal Gadot can easily be boosted to the right height for Wonder Woman. Affleck is a couple of inches taller than Cavill, but they can easily be filmed to look about the same height onscreen.

15. Nerys Myk

What does her being portrayed as a "brutal almost barbaric warrior" have to do with her height? Or "hilariously stupid poses" for that matter? The point is Wonder Woman's height is inconsistent, your dislike of certain writers and artist isn't a factor.

You do realize you're proving my point, right? Oh and Batman and Superman are the same height in that picture.

16. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    There's a part of me wants to scream: let it go!

But perhaps levity is better :)

[​IMG]

17. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

18. Nerys Myk

I like how he thinks the original WW artist, HG Peter and George Perez, who's WW run is thought of as one of the best, some how got Wonder Woman's height wrong. It's also amusing that he seems unaware that the "creepy creator" didn't draw Wonder Woman.

19. Guy Gardener

I'm not sure if this is real, but wasn't Wonder Woman a composite of Bill's wife and mistress?

20. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    Elizabeth Marston and Olive Byrne, yes. Elizabeth was a psychologist, herself, and helped Marson in developing the polygraph. Olive helped in their work and the three and their kids lived together rather happily.

http://www.flavinscorner.com/drww.htm