Game of Thrones 3.9 - "The Rains of Castamere" - Rate and discuss

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Out Of My Vulcan Mind, Jun 2, 2013.

?

Grading

1. Excellent

83.3%
  2. Above average

11.5%
  3. Average

2.6%
  4. Below average

1.3%
  5. Poor

1.3%
  1. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

His house is much better set up in the books, as is the Frey house. The show replaced his establishment in Clash of Kings with Arya serving Tywin.

2. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

Well that clears it right up. :wtf:

No way I can remember every character - or character name or place name - that's been flashed past our eyes over 3 years.

3. Brendan Moody

Brendan Moody Vice Admiral Admiral

Arya wasn't Bolton's cupbearer on the show anyway; that's only in the books.

Bolton is one of Robb's lieutenants. He's had a number of small appearances, but like DalekJim says, the show hasn't made him particularly memorable. He's the one who agreed to release Jaime from Harrenhal in exchange for Jaime telling Tywin that Bolton had nothing to do with his hand being cut off.

4. Miss Chicken

Miss Chicken Little three legged cat with attitude Admiral

Oh, yes, It was Tywin on the TV series. I keep mixing the books up with what is on TV. Can you remember when Roose Bolton first appeared in the TV series?

I do remember that at one point in the TV series one of the characters, can't remember who, mentioned that the flayed man is Bolton's sigil.

5. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

http://gameofthrones.wikia.com/wiki/Roose_Bolton

You can use the GOT wiki if you need a reminder about who is who. Great thing about that site is that is only has spoilers up the newest aired episode.

6. ITL

ITL Vice Admiral Admiral

I seem to remember him looking a bit put out that Robb wanted to talk to Florence Bonesaw instead of him. Probably not his first appearance, though.

7. Brendan Moody

Brendan Moody Vice Admiral Admiral

Roose is introduced in the TV series in episode 4 of season 2, just after the battle at Oxcross. Bolton suggests killing or torturing the Lannister prisoners, and Robb declines, mentioning in the process the Boltons' tradition of flaying defeated enemies. (Then Talisa showed up and Robb began to flirt with her.) Not a bad introduction for the character, but after that he slipped into the background except for a few functional, plot-driven scenes here and there.

8. Ayelbourne

Ayelbourne Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well, Roose has actually been featured quite prominently throughout this season, especially during Jaime's stay at Harrenhall.

9. Roshi

Roshi Admiral Admiral

10. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

^^^ Took me a while to figure out what I was looking at, but when I did, :lol:

11. Spock/Uhura Fan

Spock/Uhura Fan Captain Captain

Not really. The truth is that he was a subject who followed the king's orders. Not so cut and dry, but Arya can't understand that. In her little world of honor, she thinks everyone should die or face whatever kind of punishment instead of doing something dishonorable (like her father did), even if they really had no choice. It's the same failure in understanding that lost her older brother the war and got him killed. Most people don't work like that. If he had killed the boy out of his own free will, that would have been one thing, but that's not what happened.

Hard as it may be for you, the saying "don't kill the messenger," comes to mind. Be upset with the person who actually caused your problem (i.e. "sent the message"), not the person who had to carry out orders or else. I can understand her anger at Joffrey. He's the reason why her friend died, not the Hound. So far, out of his own free will, he's done more to help children than hurt them.

12. DalekJim

I agree entirely. The complex characterisations within George R.R. Martin's fantasy legendarium seem quite shallow compared to shipping Spock and Uhura.

13. Spock/Uhura Fan

I'm not sure what your issue is here. And the fact that you have to drag in a preference I have for another type of entertainment tells me that you don't have much to offer to what I said in the way of discussion, you just want to attack.

How about you actually go after what I said instead of my preferences for the Star Trek reboot?

Also, did I say anything about GRRM's characterizations? I don't think the problem is the writer at all. I think he did a great job of realistically showing how children's views of the world are shaped by the environments they grew up in and the parents that they had. Both Arya and Robb had a "noble" father that was very unlike most people. That affected their world view where they both mistakenly expected the same from other people. It's not only a standard most people don't meet, but even Ned failed a little as he was only human too.

See, I responded to your post, not your user pic/name. It's not that hard, really. :rolleyes:

14. DalekJim

I wouldn't say that Arya has paid much heed to Ned's lawful, noble persona at all. From day one she's shown to hate that whole culture of oaths and bowing the knee. She's just angry that The Hound slaughtered her friend, in the same way she's angry Ilyn Payne killed her father. Neither ordered it, but to her that doesn't matter.

15. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

[​IMG]

If I get married to Jenna I'll remember to not invite any GoT cast members.

16. Spock/Uhura Fan

She despises the way women are restricted and would much rather live more like a boy, and she doesn't like the whole "game" that politics ends up being, but she never despised her father. I think she kind of idolized him, and that's a part of her problem. Very few people will be able to live up to her idea of her father.

Which is exactly what I said.

17. DalekJim

"Sylvester McCoy sends his regards!"

So pissed they changed that line, I might add.

18. Shurik

Shurik Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Adding Jeyne would require to add several of her relatives. Since she probably won't have any part in the further book story, it was enough to add a generic love interest without the need to add more characters. The result is the same anyway.

19. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

Budgetary (either time or money) I assume.

Stupidity is another possibility.

20. Ruaidhri

Ruaidhri Commodore Commodore

Ruaidhri...Toronto in body, Philly in spirit!
    I'd like to just comment on the fact that I thought Richard Madden was great in this series as Robb Stark. We never got to get inside Robb's head in the novels, with no POV from his perspective. I really enjoyed his performance overall.