Pitch meeting for Disney's new version of A Christmas Carol

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Argus Skyhawk, Oct 19, 2009.

1. Argus Skyhawk

Argus Skyhawk Commodore Commodore

I've seen billboards for a new Disney version of Dickens' famous ghost story, starring Jim Carrey. I'm guessing there was a conversation at Disney that went something like this:

Executive 1: Okay, let's hear the movie idea you have.

Executive 2: Get this: It will be a modern screen adaptation of... *pauses dramatically* Dicken's A Christmas Carol!

Executive 3: Hey, that's great! That hasn't been done before. Well, except for the 1970 movie, Scrooge.

Executive 1: That's right! Well, there was also the 1938 movie with Reginald Owen. But hey, aside from that...

Executive 3: Oh, and the 1951 movie with Alastair Sim.

Executive 1: And A Muppet Christmas Carol. Also, there was the made-for-TV version with Henry Winkler.

Executive 3: And the made-for-TV version with Patrick Stewart.

Executive 1: And a zillion other made-for-TV versions. I swear that cable channels produced one every year during the 90's.

Executive 3: Oh, and there are a few animated versions, like The Stingiest Man in Town.

Executive 1: And Mickey’s Christmas Carol.

Executive 3: And Mr Magoo’s Christmas Carol.

Executive 1: And Flintstone’s Christmas Carol.

Executive 3: Let’s not forget the spoofs, like Scrooged with Bill Murray.

Executive 1: And An American Carol.

Executive 3: And Ghosts of Girlfriends Past.

Executive 1: And special Holiday episodes of just about every sitcom.

Executive 3: Heck, Internet Movie Database lists 26 movies named A Christmas Carol.

Executive 1: Along with eight more named Scrooge.

Executive 3: So, aside from those few examples, making a screen adaptation of A Christmas Carol is a completely original ide... Oh, who are we kidding? This thing’s been adapted more often than Alice in Wonderland. Why are we even considering making another one?

Executive 2: If we make another movie, we’ll have enough material to start A Christmas Carol Channel, a cable network that shows nothing but adaptations of A Christmas Carol twenty-four seven!

*Beat*

Executive 1: I like it. Let’s get the checkbook.

2. JustAFriend

JustAFriend Commodore Commodore

Ahem... you forget the excellent 1988 version Scrooged with Bill Murray....

Yes another re-make that didn't need to be re-maked.
    Jim Carrey certainly didn't need to be animated.

Hollywood and Disney can't do anything original, that would be too scary for them....

3. OmahaStar

OmahaStar Disrespectful of his betters Admiral

It's right there on the line after Flintstones. :lol:

4. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Jeez, there sure are enough remakes these days. You know there's even going to be a remake of Moby Dick? Moby Fucking Dick!

Just wait for the product placement in these things. In A Christmas Carol the Ghost of Christmas future will probably be wearing eating somthing from Burger King, or maybe he'll be the Burger King.

Moby Dick will probably featuring Captain Ahab drinking Red Bull. Who cares about being period accurate?

5. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

:lol:

You forgot it, not him/her. :lol:

Not only that but the movie looks horrible! At least a lot of them are decent for what they are. This movie probably cost 100 million dollars and looks like shit.

6. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Another remake of Moby Dick?
    There are some stories that will be done over and over again. Moby Dick and A Christmas Carol are but two of them.

I doubt that product placement (far as I know they haven't done that in period pieces) will occur, but commercials from a fast food joint using the films characters will.

7. Spot's Meow

Spot's Meow Vice Admiral Admiral

I had the pleasure of seeing the 3-D preview while in the theater for the 3-D Toy Story movies a couple of weeks ago, and this film looked AMAZING in 3-D. I'm serious, I was really shocked by how far 3-D technology has come when I saw it.

The story has been done, yes, but that's because it's a classic story. It could be done a million times and it wouldn't matter, it's still a great story. I'm actually looking forward to the movie after seeing the theater preview.

8. T'Baio

T'Baio Admiral Admiral

Did you know, at the world reknowned Stratford Festival, they've been putting on more remakes...of Shakespeare plays!?!

How dare they!?! I mean, they've been done as good as they're gonna' be done already!

Greedy bastards.

9. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Two words: public domain. A Christmas Carol keeps getting remade and spoofed because nobody has to pay for the rights.

For me, the fact that this film is another Christmas Carol is the least of its problems. It had Jim Carrey playing Scrooge and all three Ghosts of Christmas, which is just Carrey overload. And it's another of Robert Zemeckis's computer-animated movies, which means it's going to be deeply entrenched in the uncanny valley.

10. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

I really want Zemekis to stop with the CGI motion-capture. I'd have liked Beowulf more, had it been live-action.

And for the All-Christmas Carol Channel, it also needs Blackadder's Christmas Carol in the rotation.

11. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, Zemeckis really needs to go back to making regular movies. What is his fascination with these Creepy-Vision animated things?

12. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

A Christmas Carol
    Directed by Michael Bay

Retired mob boss Ebenezer Scrooge... Jon Voight
    Dirty cop Jacob Marley... Peter Fonda
    Mob lawyer Bob Cratchit... Steve Buscemi
    The mob enforcer of Christmas Past... Mickey Rourke
    The stripper of Christmas Present... Megan Fox
    The weapons dealer of Christmas Future... Ving Rhames

13. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

^^Strangely enough, despite how horrible that sounds, I'd probably see it.