The Official Welcome Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Lord Garth, Sep 21, 2007.

1. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Guest

Another poster suggested a thread of this type and I agreed. I haven't kept up with the exact numbers of membership but if you have joined TrekBBS due to the new movie, I'd like to extend a welcome.

Feel free to post whatever comes to mind, don't be afraid to ask a question that you think someone who's been around forever has heard 50 million times. Please feel free to spread enthusiasm for the new movie as it might even become contagious. If you aren't enthuastic about the movie that's fine as well, believe it or not.

I'd appreciate it if you took the opportunity to introduce yourself if you're new, or even if you're old.

I joined TrekBBS in the summer of 1999 and have been a moderator for almost six years. I'm looking forward to this movie, TOS is my favorite Star Trek series, and I've been a fan since I was 11 (in 1991 not 1966). The other sci-fi interest of mine is the new Battlestar Galactica.

My field of work is television production which has included news interviews, digital editing, and taping sports even though I'm not a sports fan. Once you shoot a game everything else is child's play, but post-production is my personal preference.

Valkyriedirective likes this.
  2. Samuel T. Cogley

Samuel T. Cogley Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm Samuel T. Cogley. I'm an old, crusty curmudgeon. If you like something, I probably don't. And I'll tell you why you shouldn't like it either.

If you are hot, please send your photos to samueltcogley@hotmail.com

Don't bother sending contact info. I won't call you back.

I'm an attorney. I got Kirk off. And he liked it.

Now go away and leave me alone.

3. Outpost4

Outpost4 Vice Admiral Admiral

Great idea, Garth. :bolian:

And first let's cover that for new TrekBBS members. It is a board request that you use bold type for a poster's name if you mention them in one of your posts.

My name is Gregg and I'm an original Trekkie, having beamed on board the Enterprise for the premiere of Star Trek on NBC. I was 13 at the time, just the right age to have Star Trek warp me for the rest of my life.

I'm looking forward to this movie with great hope. I want Star Trek to live and grow, and the success of the new movie can insure that for a decade. Please don't let it suck...please don't let it suck...please don't let it suck...

Welcome to TrekBBS. There are good folks here. :)

4. Plum

Plum Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, good idea. I've run into a number of newcomers here lately. The buzz is on!

I, of course - am an avatar, not a doctor. :D

5. Dale

Dale Vice Admiral Admiral

Hello to all! In "board years" I'm older than the rumors of the new movie and newer than the old series. I've been a Trekkie all my life, which has spanned 42-and-some years thus far.

There are cool, funny and friendly people here, all united by their love for (or their love of bitching about) Star Trek in all its incarations... a United Federation of People, if you will.

I am filled with hope for the new movie and a revitalization of our favorite franchise.

I like pie.

6. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

My name is Temis, and I'm a Vortaholic. :D My main claim to fame is that I am single-handedly responsible for Zachary Quinto being cast as Spock, unless he sucks, in which case I never heard of the guy.

7. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Guest

Everyone please give a welcome to Kira's Mom, who'll be joining the forum as a second moderator!

The extra coverage will be a lot of help and, with your assistance, hopefully all we have to do is make sure every thread is read instead of actual work.

8. Dale

Hi Mom! :D

9. Kira's Mom

Kira's Mom Fleet Admiral Admiral

Thanks, Lord Garth! I'm sure this will be an easy place to mod. :p ;)

10. pookha

pookha Admiral Admiral

hi km,
    good to know you will be around more often.

:)

11. Kira's Mom

Kira's Mom Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah...I'll probably be here a lot. It's going to get very busy!

12. Turbo

Turbo Changeling Premium Member

Hi, all. I'm Turbo, and I must be insane, because I seem to be the only person on Earth who doesn't like anything that J.J. Abrams has ever done.

As such, I fear for this movie, but I won't pass judgement on it until I see it.

:D

13. Woulfe

Woulfe Commodore Commodore

Hello, I'm Woulfe and I'm an addit too....
    What ? this isn't Star Trek annon ?
    Well shoot, forget what I just said....
    I'm yer basic comic relief useually.

I have 40 years of pop-culture stuck in my brain, forget things like math and whatnot, I remember song lyrics and useless trivia that no one even cares about anymore ;)

I useually make a random sig at the bottom of my posts that have nothing to do with anything at all, just random thoughts from my brain.

I think the film will be just fine as long as we keep an open mind, and a closed wallet 'till we get to the day it arrives at a theater near you ;)

Then we'll see if it sinks or swims.

- W -
    * Useless Trivia : Gordon Shumway is from the planet Melmac and he eats cats. *

14. Spider

Spider Dirty Old Man Premium Member

No, you're not the only one who can't see the hype about this man's previous work. It's mostly crap as far as I'm concerned. Having said that however, I am giving the movie all the benefit of the doubt. Hopefully it will revitalize the franchise and we'll get another shot at a TV series someday.

15. chancellorjake

chancellorjake Captain Captain

Hi all, I'm chancellorjake , but you can call me chance. I joined TrekBBS around the time of Enterprise's demise, but I mostly lurk all the time. The approach of Star Trek XI has me really excited and I might actually comment, occasionally . Also, my handle has nothing to do with Klingons :klingon: or the leader of the High Command.

16. Dale

You're not the only one... we're quietly hopeful, but we're legion...

17. Garth Rockett

Garth Rockett Commodore Commodore

Hello, I'm Garth Rockett and I've been around here for about three years I think, but I tend to lurk for the most part.

I've also been a Trek fan since I was 11, but for me that was 1987. TOS is my favorite with DS9 close behind. I also love TNG, liked ENT for the most part, and found some things to enjoy about VOY as well. I'm looking forward to the new movie.

18. seigezunt

seigezunt Vice Admiral Admiral

good idea.

Hello, I'm seigezunt, and I've been a ST fan since when it was first in reruns in the early 70s, and I remember the fun years before there were any movies, and when the movies were a big deal. I loved the TOS movies, and watched (and enjoyed) TNG and the start of DS9, but lost interest in the franchise around the time Voyager soiled our TV screens. Having come back to trek via the Crucible books and the Herb Solow book, I'm cautiously excited about the new movie, because it promises to bring back (at least just once) the original characters, the only ones (I now realize) that I ever really cared about.

19. DanTheGrey

DanTheGrey Vice Admiral Admiral

Well let's see, started watching TOS re-runs on CBC when I was a kid in the late 1970's. Watched TNG from day 1 and fell solidly in love with DS9. I grew up watching the movies on VHS, and saw Voyage Home and Final Frontier and Undiscovered Country in the theatres.

Voyager came along and I started to doubt my faith in Star Trek. Generations was okay, First Contact was better and was the last Trek I saw in the theatre. Insurrection and Nemesis were watched on VHS and DVD respectively.

I left Enterprise after 6 episodes, though have found the few season 4 episodes that I've watched to be much better than anything from season 1.

I hope that the reboot is good. I think it might be a bit early, but am willing to give it a chance. That being said, Star Trek doesn't have the drawing power or guaranteed pass at the theatres it did when I was younger.

I also have gotten back into the novels and currently feel that that seems to be where the true spirit of Trek can be found.

20. Dr. Chandra

Dr. Chandra Captain Captain

Hey, Dr. Chandra here. Like seigezunt, I've been watching trek since the late 60's - early 70's. I joined up with this crew the year before Voyager ended. I can't wait for the new movie, and I'm optimistic about Abrams being in control.

And kudos, btw, to Sam Cogley for knowing how to spell curmudgeon. That's more impressive than supercalifragilisticexpialidocious. :)