2014 MLB Season: How Many Pitchers Will Die For Our Sins?

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by tomalak301, Mar 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

In lieu of flowers, the Zimmer family requests that you shove Pedro Martinez.

2. The Lady Eve

The Lady Eve Vice Admiral Admiral

RIP indeed. Damn.

NYT Obit

3. Kirby

Kirby Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

RIP Don Zimmer.

4. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

I was watching the Mets game last night when they announced it. The Mets are playing the Cubs, Tejada just hit a home run to make the score 4-2. Of course the Mets would go on to loose in classic Mets fashion 5-4. Interestingly they showed Wrigley Field in Black & White during den Dekker's at bat that was pretty neat. While never a huge fan of Zimmer, I can appreciate his contribution to baseball.

5. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Nice :lol:

Although again, to be fair, Zimmer ran out and took a swing first, Pedro just stepped aside and shoved him. If you don't want to risk being pushed, probably shouldn't run out onto the field during a fight and take a swing at someone. Can't complain about being too old to be IN a fight if you're young enough to START one... ;)

6. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Yeah, I never understood why Pedro Martinez is the one who took the heat there.

7. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ Well, if Pedro was so afraid that a man in his 70's could kick his ass... :shrug:

8. Yanks

Yanks Commodore Commodore

Not sure why. Why would you want to keep the A's players in the poor house? They are the ones with the cheap ass owner.

It's been proven time and time again that the amount of money spent does not equate to victories... look at the current Dodgers... not sure why this is still an issue to some.

Break...

Tanaka moves to 9-1.... wow, where would we be if we didn't sin him? The guy is a machine.

9. Yanks

Agree. No fan of the Red Sox here, but just how one-sided can you get?

Just another reason to love the guy.

:D :D What a game that was...

What a "baseball guy" Zim was. Mike & Mike made a great analogy by calling him the Forest Gump of Baseball.

Just how incredible is this?

[/LEFT]

Video in the link.
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/mlb/news/20140605/don-zimmer-yankees-cubs-red-sox-dodgers-obituary/

Love how Jeet used to rub his head. I think he was important as anyone to the run the Yankees made back in the 90's.

10. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master Admiral Admiral

The A's don't have a "cheap ass" owner. Are you aware of the differences in market size, franchise value, etc? Meh, of course you are.
    If MLB was willing to allow the A's to build in San Jose, then you would be able to see what the A's could do with a $100 million dollar payroll. Methinks they would do fairly well.

It's an issue, because with relatively competent management the Yankee's would dominate due to their built-in monetary advantage.

11. Yanks

The A's owners are "worth" 2.8 Billion (with a "B").

Accept what you will. To be worth that and pay your TEAM less than 80 million is a joke.

Market or no market.

The "monetary advantage" whine hasn't mattered with WS champions...

12. Timby

There's a larger problem, though. No one wants to play in Oakland because the clubhouses and dugouts literally overflow with shit.

13. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master Admiral Admiral

So you want them to run a team at a loss? Chuckle. Okay.
    Even if they did, they would only add about 20 million to the team. I guess we could have gotten Tanaka for that money. :guffaw:

Seeing as the A's have a fantastic record and just took 2 out of 3 from the Yanks, I am fairly satisfied with our current situation.

It just makes it sweeter to beat a team with a leg up on the competition, especially because can't get the city of Oakland to agree on improving the current stadium OR building a new one (even privately funded), and who can't get MLB to allow them to build a stadium in a town that wants them.
    But our non-existent TV deal makes up for that. :)

Timby Oakland has amazing fans, but you're right, that stadium is garbage, GARBAGE. The city of Oakland pretends to be offended that the A's would ever want to move, the Giants pretend to be offended that Oakland would ever trespass on their exclusive market area, so they are stuck in limbo. Thank goodness for amazing management, talent scouting, and players who buy into that work ethic thing, otherwise the A's would be terrible.

14. Timby

Johan Santana has torn his Achilles tendon, which pretty much has to stick a fork in his career at this point. :(

Man, and literally days after the O's put themselves on the hook for his $3 million salary. Ouch. I guess the baseball gods are determined to take their blood price for that no-hitter.

15. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

Tanaka would probably be in Chicago battling Smardzija for the best ERA by a pitcher with 1 win.

16. Danny99

Danny99 Vice Admiral Admiral

I think the best word would be sterile. Because it's multi-use, it's like no one team wants to really brand themselves them on a permanent basis. The grass will be nice, but its still an unfriendly fan experience in my opinion.

17. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm no Rockies fan, but that walk off triple last night...shut up all those damn Dodger fans real quick. Priceless. :techman:

18. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

As a giants fan, seeing the Dodgers lose with the salary they have is a beautiful thing. :techman:

19. Timby

The Phillies now possess the worst record in the NL and are on pace to lose around 95 games. They're 1 - 7 in June and haven't won consecutive games since May 18 - 20. Rube is still gainfully employed.

I'd like to remind you all that both the Phillies and Diamondbacks intended to win their respective divisions and made moves towards that goal this offseason.

Working for Rube and / or Kevin Towers must be like living in Hitler's bunker in the final few days. "Yes, AJ Burnett is the last piece of the puzzle!"

20. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

The thing worth pointing out is that the Phillies are actually over-performing as well. They're among the healthiest teams in Baseball (no real position player has missed any time and only Cole Hamels has been injured). Considering their average age is 193, they're due for injuries. Also, Chase Utley and Carlos Ruiz are hitting well and Jimmy Rollins is at least having some power.

I heard that the only way Amaro would be fired is if the Phillies were both healthy and in last place. Well, here's that chance.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.