So What Are you Reading?: Generations

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by captcalhoun, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Killie

Killie Lieutenant Red Shirt

Oops!! That does fundamentally change the statement..

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^It surprises me how often people leave out the word "not" in sentences where "not" is the single most important word for getting the meaning across. It's a remarkably common error, so there must be some kind of basic neurological or semantic phenomenon underlying it.

3. Idran

Idran Commodore Commodore

I imagine it's a similar phenomenon to when a person mistakenly blends two words together in speech because they were considering using either; two different sentence structures in mind with two different locations they were considering placing negation, that mistakenly get blended together causing no negation to be placed at all. It'd be a good question for Language Log, though!

4. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I once came up with a great nickname for my cat Natasha that way. At one point, I was trying to call her a tiger and a ragamuffin at the same time, and it came out "tigermuffin." Which was absolutely the perfect epithet for her, and it stuck for the rest of her life.

5. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Lord knows I've done it--which is always terrifying.

"No, no. I meant she's NOT the murderer!"

6. Stephen!

Stephen! Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I've recently finished "Acts of Contrition" and started "Atonement"

7. dstyer

dstyer Commander Red Shirt

I'm about 1/3 of the way through Armada by Ernest Cline. Not quite as good as his earlier work - Ready Player One - but still a good solid read. If you enjoyed Ender's Game or The Last Starfighter then you may appreciate this book.

8. C. Cole-Chakotay

C. Cole-Chakotay Commodore Commodore

I've got four books going right now - Gifted Hands by Dr. Ben Carson and books by Alison Arngrim, Melissa Sue Anderson, and Melissa Gilbert (Nellie Oleson, Mary Ingalls, and Laura Ingalls on the Little House on the Prairie TV show).

9. John Clark

John Clark Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Finished Before The Awakening by Greg Rucka earlier.

Currently, it's The Force Awakens by Alan Dean Foster.

I should also make a start on Herodotus: The Histories (Translation by Tom Holland).

10. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Finished the upcoming Miasma by Greg Cox. Great quick story.

Who knows what I'll be receiving and reading in the next few days.

11. Kilana2

Kilana2 Vice Admiral Admiral

The Fall 3, I can hardly put it aside....

12. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I finished Unity, and now I don't know where to go. Any suggestions for someone who has basically read only the DS9 relaunch from Avatar to Unity? I've been following the chart, but there's just so much out there that I feel like, I need to read Enterprise, but there is the Time To series for TNG, or what happened to Voyager after they got home. I'm leaning towards Voyager, but I've heard so much about the Romulan War books for Enterprise and there is still DS9 and the aftermath of what happened after Unity. So many to choose from so little time.

13. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I would finish the post-Unity DS9R books. There is still a lot of great stuff between Unity and Destiny. Then A Time to.. and work your way to Destiny from there.

14. Idran

Idran Commodore Commodore

It might be worth fitting in the Romulan War books before Destiny as well, though; the Columbia and her crew are pretty significant to Destiny, and the Romulan War series would give you more connection to them before reaching that trilogy.

15. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Decided to get the first Worlds of DS9 book. Almost feel like I do want to jump around to various series', but I am curious to see what happens after Unity.

16. Kilana2

Kilana2 Vice Admiral Admiral

After finishing The Fall 3- A Ceremony of Losses, I dived right into Section 31 - Disavowed. Despite the fact that I still have The Fall 4 and 5 ahead of me. Couldn't wait for the Bashir/Douglas story to continue.....

17. John Clark

John Clark Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Giving The X-Files anthology a run through.

18. Kertrats47

Kertrats47 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just posted my review of the final book in the Q Continuum trilogy, Q-Strike by Greg Cox.

Reading The Buried Age at the moment, as well as finishing up A Feast For Crows (finally!)

19. C. Cole-Chakotay

C. Cole-Chakotay Commodore Commodore

Alas, Babylon by Pat Frank

20. Use of Time

Use of Time Commodore Commodore

Just finished Catalyst of Sorrows and the novelization of Encounter at Farpoint. Ghost Ship by Diane Carey is up next.